FORUMS

XPrivacy for Android Lollipop – XDA Xposed Tuesday

Have you ever been on the Google Play Store and saw an app that you wanted to … more

How a HTC Droid Eris Changed a Members Life

Rarely can a member say that Android development or XDA had a profound effect on … more

XDA Office Space: Frankenstein’s Perfect IM Client?

The portal’s decentralized XDA office lies in a Hangouts chatroom, where … more

Which IM Client on Android is best?

With so many different messengers to choose from, it can be tough to find the best one for you and … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Firestick plays some mkv files better than FireTV, why?

7th April 2015, 10:50 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I have been using XBMC on my FTV that is hardwired and also have a FireTV Stick connected to 5Ghz band on my router. I was playing a 720p MKV of Interstellar. It would cause the FTV to buffer especially at the scene around 3 minutes where the cornfields are shaking from the winds.

I then play the same file wirelessly on the FireStick and it has no problems playing this same scene.

Is the video processor on the stick better than regular FTV?

8th April 2015, 01:59 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I think something is wrong with your fire tv or connection.. I just watch interstellar 1080p 15 gig mkv file without any buffering issues on a wired line.

try switching to wifi.

The fire stick is much much less powerful in video and processor speed.
Last edited by nusense949; 8th April 2015 at 02:02 AM.
8th April 2015, 03:25 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
There are issues with the FireTV hardwired connection that makes it SLOWER than wireless. If you did wireless on your FireTV, it would work better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sizzlechest For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th April 2015, 04:01 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Speed tests have consistently showed 5ghz to be faster than wired on my network, but I keep it wired because it's generally stronger with less interference, plus my speeds are more than fast enough for 1080p.
I'd try different Ethernet cables (simplest solution first.) I did that and found a discrepancy of over 20 Mbps.
8th April 2015, 06:01 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

There are issues with the FireTV hardwired connection that makes it SLOWER than wireless. If you did wireless on your FireTV, it would work better.

OMG Thanks! I didn't every think to try the wireless on my FTV. This fixed the buffering on Intersellar MKV I was getting when I was hardwired.

That is so weird that the hardwired connection is slower than wireless?

How did you find out about FTV being slower hard wired?
8th April 2015, 01:16 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo

OMG Thanks! I didn't every think to try the wireless on my FTV. This fixed the buffering on Intersellar MKV I was getting when I was hardwired.

That is so weird that the hardwired connection is slower than wireless?

How did you find out about FTV being slower hard wired?

It's been a known issue, but it's not totally common knowledge. There's other tidbits like you should probably use SPMC vs. Kodi and how to create an advancedsettings.xml that can improve performance, too.
8th April 2015, 05:08 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzlechest

My testing has shown the opposite. On multiple different network setups in different locations. In some network setups that could possibly be true. But I wouldn't attribute it to the FireTV.
8th April 2015, 05:09 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Wow, I never heard of wired ethernet performance issues. Good to know if I ever run into issues, and good to know if I upgrade my wifi I can reliably wifi stream everything I already do. Personal experience with live TV through XBMC (MythTV + HDHomeRun backend), my hardwired FTV is flawless, but my older 802.11n 2.4Ghz connected FTV stick has buffering/stuttering issues with some of the stations. Not a true comparison to a 1080p H.264 mkv, but it sounds like if I buy a new 5ghz wifi router I might be able to get live tv working better on my stick.
8th April 2015, 06:54 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Never used this on the FireTV/SPMC, but works very well @ OpenELEC:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

I just said cache _any_ source to RAM, like 150MB (watch out as 150MB cache means *3 = 450MB RAM usage) and never had any issues after that, even on an unstable connection. You can also set how aggressive the cache should work etc, very handy tool.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread