[GUIDE] How to setup a new Fire TV without blocking Root
I purchased a new Fire TV specifically to write this guide and analyze what it does during its initial setup.
The guide includes two methods: one reccommended method if you are able to block domains via your router, and one if your only option is to disconnect the Fire TV's internet connection at key moments. If you choose method 1 and block the update domain, you do not need to disconnect the internet at all during setup.
Click here for the guide
Here is the initial setup sequence with notes:
- White Boot Logo
- Colorful boot Logo
- "Searching for remote" screen - Can start to search for a software update as early as here if on wired internet
- "Press Play to continue" screen
- Setup network - This is the first point where it needs a connection to continue. You can immediately kill the connection after it passes this step
- "Checking for updates" screen - It will get past this screen without a connection just fine, it just takes over a minute.
- Login to Amazon - Second and last time an internet connection is required to get to the home screen. If purchased from Amazon, it will already be registered and this will fly by. If it needs your email and password, you can enter both, then connect the internet just before clicking sign-in.
- Unskippable welcome video - Internet connection not required once it loads.
- Sign up for Prime offer
- Setup parental controls
- Home Screen loads
- This new (from Amazon) Fire TV came with the first known software version (22.214.171.124_user_510055620). The very first update it tried to install was the latest official version (126.96.36.199_user_511070220). This is noteworthy since I've read many people say it is okay to let the Fire TV install "the first update". Had I been setting up this Fire TV a few weeks from now when the latest version would probably be the one that is currently being rolled out slowly that blocks rooting, then this Fire TV would have been unrootable if the first update wasn't blocked.
- The domain firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com cannot be blocked during the initial update. Assuming Amazon doesn't change their update download server, it is enough to block only amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net to block updates.