Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,143 Members 54,115 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To: Improve Device Performance w/o Overclocking [root]

Tip us?

fairplay89
Old
(Last edited by fairplay89; 26th August 2014 at 05:34 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Prompt How To: Improve Device Performance w/o Overclocking [root]

I've been using XBMC on the FireTV fairly successfully but wished it was a bit snappier. Thinking back to my days with the Galaxy S3, I remembered a great app called Seeder.

From the Play Store listing:
Seeder is a service for root users. It assists the kernel in "topping off" the entropy pool by re-seeding it with data from the non-blocking (high performance) random device. Optionally, it can also help alleviate MMC I/O contention by extending the I/O queue, allowing the I/O scheduler to make better decisions, and combine more writes.

After installing and enabling the moderate option on my FireTV, XBMC loads faster and navigates through menus much smoother. An essential app and well worth the purchase in my opinion.

Setup:
  1. Root your FireTV (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783805)
  2. Install Google Play Store (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-insta...mazon-fire-tv/)
  3. Download Seeder (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.seeder&hl=en)
  4. Give Seeder root permissions
  5. Select Start on Boot
  6. Choose Moderate
  7. Profit!

Seeder ($2.50) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.seeder&hl=en
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fairplay89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KillerJoeBR
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks for your tip. Does Anyone else recommends it? I am quite satisfied with the firetv performance but i am all forward with improvements

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

retroben
Old
Thanks Meter 34
It does boost performance,even with my "overclocked" settings already made.
I quote it because I can't actually overclock the Fire TV because the lack of unlocked bootloader.
I can only change governor types to "Performance" on GPU,and "interactive" on all four CPU cores to boost them a bit.
I also have two booster apps for visual and touch performance increases,which prove to work really well.

I want to OC the GPU to a minimum 400Mhz and maximum 500Mhz to match the stronger equivalent GPU's 450Mhz and 550Mhz OC settings.
Maybe also get the CPUs on at least 1.9 Ghz or 2.0Ghz as the maximum with 500Mhz as the forced minimum.
When bootloader unlocking is possible,I want to find a fix for the kernel panic rebooting issue with Reicast caused by instability with certain Android ROMs.

Spykez0129
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
It does boost performance,even with my "overclocked" settings already made.
I quote it because I can't actually overclock the Fire TV because the lack of unlocked bootloader.
I can only change governor types to "Performance" on GPU,and "interactive" on all four CPU cores to boost them a bit.
I also have two booster apps for visual and touch performance increases,which prove to work really well.

I want to OC the GPU to a minimum 400Mhz and maximum 500Mhz to match the stronger equivalent GPU's 450Mhz and 550Mhz OC settings.
Maybe also get the CPUs on at least 1.9 Ghz or 2.0Ghz as the maximum with 500Mhz as the forced minimum.
When bootloader unlocking is possible,I want to find a fix for the kernel panic rebooting issue with Reicast caused by instability with certain Android ROMs.
Nothing...NOTHING about what you're doing is even remotely considered overclocking....

OC is pushing hardware past it's max performance out of the box or standard state. CPU's downclock themselves for power savings. You telling it to run at a different minimum isn't OC'ing, you're just telling it to not downclock itself so far.

kairnage
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykez0129 View Post
Nothing...NOTHING about what you're doing is even remotely considered overclocking....

OC is pushing hardware past it's max performance out of the box or standard state. CPU's downclock themselves for power savings. You telling it to run at a different minimum isn't OC'ing, you're just telling it to not downclock itself so far.
Lighten up. In case you missed it he said he can't overclock and even pointed out his use of quotes.

If you want to be nit picky overclocking is not pushing hardware past it's max performance but TO it. Overclocking takes the hardware past factory spec, which you could call "standard state" but that is never near the max. It is set for stability and longevity not necessarily the fastest performance.

Intel used to push a new chip until it crashed then dropped it a notch and called it XGHz. It's why overclocking was so limited without changing voltage and needing extra and even extreme cooling. AMD always designed a chip to have plenty of room to grow and why they support overclocking and enabling extra cores.
The Following User Says Thank You to kairnage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

retroben
Old
Thanks Meter 34
AMD now has some extremely powerful multicore CPU processors up to 5.0Ghz!
It's called AMD FX-9590.

Beat that,intel!

minhgi
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Confirmed. . Seeder 2.0 actually does speed up the just about everything from watching streaming movies to using XBMC, except your Internet. . Highly recommended. Use the setting above and trickster mod.
The Following User Says Thank You to minhgi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rontonomo
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
AMD now has some extremely powerful multicore CPU processors up to 5.0Ghz!
It's called AMD FX-9590.

Beat that,intel!
intel destroys amd! and thats a fact! a 4.4 ghz i7 would still beat that 5 ghz amd in benchmarks! so its already been done

kairnage
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontonomo View Post
intel destroys amd! and thats a fact! a 4.4 ghz i7 would still beat that 5 ghz amd in benchmarks! so its already been done
Not to go further off topic but benchmarks mean literally squat VS real world use.