Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 39,178 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally! My Amazon Fire TV is complete!

Tip us?

bobbym36
Old
(Last edited by bobbym36; 31st August 2014 at 08:18 PM.) Reason: spellin errors
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Wink Finally! My Amazon Fire TV is complete!

After days of tweaking my brand new Amazon Fire TV to run XBMC. It's finally complete! I just finished installing Google Play Store. I installed a Custom XBMC Gotham 3.2 build. I installed Xbmchub's addons and settings ontop of that. FiredTV launcher. I set XBMC to launch when Amazon Fire TV starts up and by hitting the home button. Custom Splash and Wallpaper backgrounds. I'm so excited!

I'm familiar with XBMC from my pc and my G-Box MX2 android box but I'm loving this new Amazon Fire TV. It took sometime to figure out some stuff because I was not used to using adb and rooting devices so it was new to me.

I might uninstall the FiredTV launch screen. Don't really need it with XBMC starting right up now without having to go through the Amazon menu>Settings>Apps>XBMC.

I was having some buffering issues with running off of wifi so I wired the box last night. Video plays great now with no buffering issues.

Thanks to everyone for all of your hard work in customizing this great little machine!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbym36 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobbym36
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I read about some people asking about Showbox on Fire TV. I sideloaded the apk for Showbox. The app itself works fine. You need a mouse to use it. Video play isn't working too good. I'm using an external player MX Player.

The app really isn't necessary if you have good add ons for XBMC. It's pretty pointless.

I also sideloaded Vudu onto the Amazon Fire TV. Vudu works great! But only allows you to watch movies in SD quality.

I installed the Chrome Beta web browser from Google Play. This way you can download and install .apks without having to sideload them.

I'm not an expert at this stuff but just sharing my experiences.

mejdam
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym36 View Post
After days of tweaking my brand new Amazon Fire TV to run XBMC. It's finally complete! I just finished installing Google Play Store. I installed a Custom XBMC Gotham 3.2 build. I installed Xbmchub's addons and settings ontop of that. FiredTV launcher. I set XBMC to launch when Amazon Fire TV starts up and by hitting the home button. Custom Splash and Wallpaper backgrounds. I'm so excited!

I'm familiar with XBMC from my pc and my G-Box MX2 android box but I'm loving this new Amazon Fire TV. It took sometime to figure out some stuff because I was not used to using adb and rooting devices so it was new to me.

I might uninstall the FiredTV launch screen. Don't really need it with XBMC starting right up now without having to go through the Amazon menu>Settings>Apps>XBMC.

I was having some buffering issues with running off of wifi so I wired the box last night. Video plays great now with no buffering issues.

Thanks to everyone for all of your hard work in customizing this great little machine!
keep on modifying bro!!

I run tvlauncher, xbmc 13.2, airplay support, allcast installed, firefox, google play, ouya store, modded version of pandora, MLB running through a VPN in Japan so i have no local blackouts and the rest of my apps going through a vpn in europe.

saudagar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejdam View Post
keep on modifying bro!!

I run tvlauncher, xbmc 13.2, airplay support, allcast installed, firefox, google play, ouya store, modded version of pandora, MLB running through a VPN in Japan so i have no local blackouts and the rest of my apps going through a vpn in europe.

I am android noob.. which app do you use to have this preferential VPN set.. so that some apps use europe vpn while others japan?

mkhopper
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym36 View Post
I sideloaded the apk for Showbox. The app itself works fine. You need a mouse to use it. Video play isn't working too good. I'm using an external player MX Player.
I use the media player that comes bundled in with EStrongs File Explorer when SB asks which external player to use.. Works perfectly every time.

bobbym36
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
I use the media player that comes bundled in with EStrongs File Explorer when SB asks which external player to use.. Works perfectly every time.
Ill have to try that. I want to test some emulators next when i get time.

popypopy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
In the midst of tweaking mine I found having moviebox on my ipad and just airplaying it solved all my content needs with nary a tweak. I don't even really need to keep root now.

soulassasin187
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Great brother...keep it going. I have a question. I am trying to get an app apk working on FireTV but not having any luck. would you know why? It works on tablets and any other android tv box, just not on firetv. let me know if you can help me in anyway. The app is on Google Playstore. It's called YuppTV. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.xoom&hl=en

willie2409
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejdam View Post
keep on modifying bro!!

Could you tell me where you got your modded version of pandora so i could put that on mine as well...

mcmsignup
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie2409 View Post
Could you tell me where you got your modded version of pandora so i could put that on mine as well...
Even better is to put Spotify on it and then use rotation manager to make it play in the right orientation

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otationmanager

and the tablet metrics xposed module to make it play in tablet mode

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...-v2-2-t2596603