Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 43,588 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Link2SD on Amazon Fire TV

Tip us?

nyder
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyCookie_OnLoan2FM_SVE View Post
nyder,
Good news on seeing the mount work on boot. That could explain why some members would not see the script run on boot (they didn't perform any firmware update before run the script, which is apparently required for install-recovery.sh to be run on every boot).

Now for the remaining issue you have:
- Use Link2SD on an app (one you haven't linked before), and once linked see if it can be run correctly (without rebooting).
- Then check for the same app after rebooting.
Okay, I have actually since then even updated to the update patch to the last updated that is rootable. Figure in for a penny, in for a dollar.
Even went as far as to reformat the ext4 partition.

Anyways, I can run the app after linking it, but when I reboot the app is no longer available, and not even seen in link2sd. If you go to the ext4 partition you'll see the files have been moved and if you checked link app, a copy of the app will be there. Generally if you click on the app there, it wants to reinstall and a bunch of times it just straight says there is no room (even though there is plenty of room). Also, i did this with a few apps, with different stuff being moved, etc to see how it affect them. None survived the reboot.

Either I did something wrong somewhere that effects every version of the firmwares, or I did something stupid to my filesystem that seems to keep between factory resets & firmware updates?

If you have some ideas cool, I'd like to get this working as it's great on my tablet, but at the very least, filemount is okay. So I'm open to any suggestions, don't mind reformatting, reinstalling, resetting, etc. I haven't gotten serious on my stuff yet because I wanted to get this resolved in some way.

SaltyCookie_OnLoan2FM_SVE
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
nyder,

This is more of a link2sd problem than one related to the solution I'm providing in this thread.

However, did some googling for you. Please answer:

- Which Link2SD version are you using (about option in top right menu). I'm on 3.5.2, if you aren't on the latest one, please update to it. There are known issues (exactly as you see - no link on boot) with older versions.
- Besides seeing the apps copied to the flash drive, are you also seeing links to them (look under /data/app ) ?
- Are both your partitioned marked as primary ?
- Which options are you marking when you chose "Create link" - don't select "Link internal data" (to make sure this option is not causing an issue)

nyder
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
nyder,

This is more of a link2sd problem than one related to the solution I'm providing in this thread.

However, did some googling for you. Please answer:

- Which Link2SD version are you using (about option in top right menu). I'm on 3.5.2, if you aren't on the latest one, please update to it. There are known issues (exactly as you see - no link on boot) with older versions.
- Besides seeing the apps copied to the flash drive, are you also seeing links to them (look under /data/app ) ?
- Are both your partitioned marked as primary ?
- Which options are you marking when you chose "Create link" - don't select "Link internal data" (to make sure this option is not causing an issue)
Okay, first i want to thank you for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate it greatly.

Link2SD is the latest version, 3.5.2. Free Version. I was using Lucky Patcher to "crack" it, but decided against that so I can make sure that isn't the problem.

Yes, I can see the apps under /data/app (though I don't see 1 of the apps I generally use as a test, but 4 other ones are there)

I tried all the options on various apps. Still the same problem.

Okay, just to test some thinks out, using the /data/apps, I reinstalled on the programs (Dungeon Quest). It then showed up in the menu and in Link2SD still linked, and played. But when I rebooted it was no longer in the menu or Link2SD. But in /data/app I now have 2 copies of the Dungeon Quest game.

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Still missing your answers on :
- Have you seen the links to the apps ? use this

ll /data/app

- Are both your partitions marked as primary ?

nyder
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Still missing your answers on :
- Have you seen the links to the apps ? use this

ll /data/app

- Are both your partitions marked as primary ?
Sorry, my bad.

yes, both are marked primary.

When I do the ll /data/app I get permission denied, so I did su and ran it, i get the lists and the links listed. links are root, rest are system.

rotor00ter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I had some major issues with trying to get this working. Everytime I rebooted link2sd wasn't connected to the external drive and because I had XBMC linked to it it was lost and not installed but seemed to still be taking up space on the FireTV. Then I tried to sideload XBMC again and it gave me some kind of error that there wasn't enough space on the drive even though there was. I couldn't even figure out how to get XBMC back on it again. I thought maybe the error might have been because I initially had installed the stickmount method for moving apps before I found the link2SD one.
Once I couldn't get XBMC installed because of the error I decided to factory reset the box and start over. Luckily it factory reset to the 70220 rootable firmware. If it happens again I think I'll ask for some help and try to fix it that way rather than factory reset and risk losing root. Once I factory reset and rooted I followed the instructions from post #33 and it is now working great and finds the drive after rebooting. I am pretty sure it was mainly user error because I tried to go the easy route and use the Amazon Fire TV Utility App and it didn't seem to do anything so I tried a couple times.
Anyways, its working fine now, maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble. Keep up the great work!

Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
nyder,

It looks like you are not running stickmount - is that true ?

Also the mount is working on boot, it looks like for some reason, Link2Sd is not running on boot.

There could be many issues causing this, I can only speculate and guess since:
1) I don't know everything (The wife does but she isn't telling)
2) You may have some interfering app : Titanium backup ? The fact that you are using a hacked Link2SD? maybe you installed a settings.apk or a boot/task manager which change the boot behavior
3) It's because you don't have stickmount installed (If it's true that you haven't installed stickmount you can install it, and retry running the script and linking again before reading forward).

However, you mentioned you are game for running experiments

If you are let's do it my way.

I'd like for you to run this in the most virgin of manners (i.e. only the required stages I'll outline below, no additional fluf, writing every step you run so you can report back)

Erase your thumb drive (keeping the partition). Also run a check on it to verify it is error free.

On you fireTV:
  • Factory Reset
  • Root (not sure needed after factory reset)
  • Install SU
  • Install Stickmount
  • Install Terminal app
  • Do a firmware upgrade to any rootable firmware version.
  • Install Busy Box
  • Install Dungeon Quest as a sample app (good sample app - small, only tens of MBs)
  • Install Link2sd (make sure you give it SU permissions whenever asked)
  • Run script (don't link before first boot).
  • After boot - link only Dungeon Quest, wait a good amount of time (10 mins at least) after link2sd said it's done linking (your thumb drive maybe terribly slow and maybe caching the transfer and notifying to link2sd he is done. I'm not taking any chances).
  • Verify dungeon quest runs.
  • Reboot
  • Verify dungeon quest runs.
If still seeing issues, report back with every step you've done.