FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Razer Forge TV vs Fire TV

424 posts
Thanks Meter: 128

By mejdam, Senior Member on 7th May 2015, 09:12 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Originally was told that my Razer Forge TV would ship April 29th (i bought the forge tv without the controller) but it didnt ship till May 5th and i received it May 6th. Heres what i've learned so far....

Forge TV Unboxing

Installing KODI on Razer Forge TV

Written Steps
1.) download QuickSupport from the playstore on the razer forge tv
2.) install teamviewer on my computer (personal version), type the numbers on the quicksupport and launch file transfer. i pushed the es file explorer apk that way
3.) download a file manager from the play store on the razer forge tv and find the apks(\sdcard\downloads\) and install them
4.) once i load es file explorer i linked it to my onedrive account and have been loading apks that way ever since

*AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS passthrough doesnt work!!! WTH Razer!!!

ROOT Your Razer Forge TV
http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...phone-t3104621

Benchmark - Antutu
Amazon Fire TV - 30503

Razer Forge TV - 27515

Bluetooth Remotes that Work:
Mele Pro F10 - Link - $30
Amazon Fire Stick Remote - Link - $15
Nexus Player Remote - Link - $???

Bluetooth Remotes that DONT Work:
Fire Tv Remote - Link - $30

APPS Ripped from Amazon Fire AppStore
HBO Go - Link

SFTP Transfer Speeds
Nexus Player (802.11ac) at 3.59MB/s
FireTv (Ethernet) at 4.18MB/s
Nexus Player with RJ45 Adapter at 3.82MB/s
FireTV Stick (802.11n 5GHZ) at 1.41MB/s
Open Hour Chameleon (Gigabit Ethernet) 7.1MB/s
Razer Forge TV (Gigabit Ethernet) at 3.83MB/s........ So much for gigabit!!! (i normally test the boxes with SSh/SFTP Daemon but theres no root yet)

I'll add videos and side by side comparing the differences as they are requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Razer Forge TV Ethernet.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3302242   Click image for larger version

Name:	FireTV Ethernet.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	3302243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Hour Chameleon  Ethernet.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	3302244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus Player 802.11ac 5GHZ.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	3302245  
Last edited by mejdam; 17th May 2015 at 03:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mejdam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mejdam Ad-Free

7th May 2015, 09:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 503

More
I have my pre-ordered how did you load kodi same method as for nexus player?
7th May 2015, 10:27 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt2k

I have my pre-ordered how did you load kodi same method as for nexus player?

Which method was that? because going to the play store and searching for es file explorer than pushing that to the razer forge tv doesnt work. Also i couldnt get the usb to mount and be seen by the file manager that i downloaded from the play store.

What i had to do was
2.) install teamviewer on my computer (personal version), type the numbers on the quicksupport and launch file transfer. i pushed the es file explorer apk that way
3.) download a file manager from the play store on the razer forge tv and find the apks(\sdcard\downloads\) and install them
4.) once i load es file explorer i linked it to my onedrive account and have been loading apks that way ever since
The Following User Says Thank You to mejdam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mejdam Ad-Free
7th May 2015, 10:29 PM |#4  

More
Nice thanks for the tip should have mine saturday from amazon

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
8th May 2015, 02:05 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Mind comes in tomorrow and I'm pumped. How do you like it so far? Ready to try loading some Fire TV apps on it. I know they don't work on the nexus player, but I'm hoping because Razer has an arm processor it will have better success.
8th May 2015, 03:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 145

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejdam

Which method was that? because going to the play store and searching for es file explorer than pushing that to the razer forge tv doesnt work. Also i couldnt get the usb to mount and be seen by the file manager that i downloaded from the play store.

What i had to do was

Does adb not work on it?
8th May 2015, 04:53 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
does it even have an official netflix app? no small remote included is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
8th May 2015, 04:58 AM |#8  

More
Oh i forgot to ask can you check for hbo go, showtime anytime apps?

And also crap no optical cable oops.. Hopefully i can find usb to optical adapter

Last edited by patt2k; 8th May 2015 at 05:03 AM.
8th May 2015, 05:39 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If you have an hdhomerun, I'd love to see a demo of the live channels app just to get a feel for the interface and how well it works.
8th May 2015, 05:50 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Can you please do a comparison of FireTV vs. ForgeTV vs. Nexus Player? I want to move from a Roku3 but not sure if 1) androidtv is better than roku 2) which box to get
Thanks!
8th May 2015, 05:57 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt2k

Oh i forgot to ask can you check for hbo go, showtime anytime apps?

And also crap no optical cable oops.. Hopefully i can find usb to optical adapter

i was able to pull the hbo go apk from the fire tv store and remove the appstore check but i dont have an HBO account to sign in as. I did however rip minecraft from the fire tv appstore and was able to play it on the razer forge tv.

for obvious reason im not going to link to the minecraft apk.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)