Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,909 Members 38,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

roku-like audiocast to phone / headphones

Tip us?

t3ch42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default roku-like audiocast to phone / headphones

Hey all.
I found a rather dirty hack that seems to work better than Bluetooth audio for listening to private audio from the firetv.
Installing bubbleupnp works good on my phone for audio casting to xbmc, so I tried the same on the firetv in reverse.
I had the xposed installer already on the firetv for llama support, so all I needed was to install the bubbleupnp app and bubbleupnp module in xposed.
Experimenting, I played from xbmc to my bubbleupnp app on my phone and it worked. There was a little delay, but it was more constant than the delay that BT headphones have with the firetv. Adjusting the delay on the xbmc app, and I had my private audio. I hadn't tried with any of the other video apps on the firetv, but I'm thinking the delay will be there. At least I can use it for xbmc.
Just wanted to put that out there. Hopefully a better option for sending and listening to audio will come out soon.

ars_92
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ch42 View Post
Hey all.
I found a rather dirty hack that seems to work better than Bluetooth audio for listening to private audio from the firetv.
Installing bubbleupnp works good on my phone for audio casting to xbmc, so I tried the same on the firetv in reverse.
I had the xposed installer already on the firetv for llama support, so all I needed was to install the bubbleupnp app and bubbleupnp module in xposed.
Experimenting, I played from xbmc to my bubbleupnp app on my phone and it worked. There was a little delay, but it was more constant than the delay that BT headphones have with the firetv. Adjusting the delay on the xbmc app, and I had my private audio. I hadn't tried with any of the other video apps on the firetv, but I'm thinking the delay will be there. At least I can use it for xbmc.
Just wanted to put that out there. Hopefully a better option for sending and listening to audio will come out soon.
so with what you did is, you basically had the audio stream of a video playing on your phone? I have already installed bubbleupnp on both my note 3 and the fire tv (xposed module on both devices too)but im clueless as to how to make this work. all i have managed is to cast audio(but only music and not video) from my phone to the fire tv, or initiate a video from the fire tv to start playing on my phone, making the fire tv a large remote and my phone the video player lol.

thing is I've never used bubbleupnp before so this whole casting thing is new to me. Maybe you are able to give more details as to what you did? what you set the renderer and library to on both your phone and the tv? Would gladly appreciate it as this is the last piece of the puzzle for me as to configuring the fire tv. would really like xbmc to play the video while my phone plays the audio!! thx!!

t3ch42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exactly as you said it.
Set bubbleupnp to audiocast to my phone.
Listen on my phone.
Get frustrated because bubbleupnp won't ever change their design to be able to sync. Apparently, the delay is inevitable. Not sure why, as allshare seems to have it figured out.
I'm going to give up on this, as I've had no luck from this method. Will wait to see if a BT ad2p(?) Receiver Profile can be used with phones.

ars_92
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Exactly as you said it.
Set bubbleupnp to audiocast to my phone.
Listen on my phone.
Get frustrated because bubbleupnp won't ever change their design to be able to sync. Apparently, the delay is inevitable. Not sure why, as allshare seems to have it figured out.
I'm going to give up on this, as I've had no luck from this method. Will wait to see if a BT ad2p(?) Receiver Profile can be used with phones.
You know what im doing now? I play the movie using xbmc, but also start the movie playback on my phone using mx player.But mx player has the capability to only play the audio with the screen off, so thats what im doing now. Its easy enough to get the audio synced, and the batt drain isnt too bad, 16% for 130 minutes movie (DTS downmixing). a 40 minutes itunes web dl would consume about 4% if its on AC3, but i presume it would be very similar even if it was just AAC.

Until a more seamless method comes out, this is what im gonna be doing, as its easy enough, and no extra purchase required :P

t3ch42
Old
(Last edited by t3ch42; 4th August 2014 at 10:57 PM.) Reason: sp.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars_92 View Post
You know what im doing now? I play the movie using xbmc, but also start the movie playback on my phone using mx player.But mx player has the capability to only play the audio with the screen off, so thats what im doing now. Its easy enough to get the audio synced, and the batt drain isnt too bad, 16% for 130 minutes movie (DTS downmixing). a 40 minutes itunes web dl would consume about 4% if its on AC3, but i presume it would be very similar even if it was just AAC.

Until a more seamless method comes out, this is what im gonna be doing, as its easy enough, and no extra purchase required :P
Lol...
I've played around like that in the past. It does put more load on your network and hard drives though. Tolerable but unfortunate.
I'm giving BT another try. Picked up a car mp3 3.5mm out unit from amazon for $8.50 or so that I'll be able to sync up easily enough. i can plug my own headphones up and plug it into the USB chargers at my bed. I'll see how that works. Hopefully this will be an option.

ars_92
Old
Thanks Meter 50
How nice would it have been if they just gave the headphone out thru remote capability like the roku 3....sigh
Do update on how well your new plan goes. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

superflysocal
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Any update or progress on development of using bluetooth headphones without sync issues?

superflysocal
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
When you guys described the worsening audio offset which cannot be corrected because it keeps getting worse over time, how long does it take to see it noticeably worsened?

The reason i am asking is I finally was able to install Settings.apk and paired my bluetooth headphones (Noontec Zoro wireless BT headphones).

When I played a movie in XBMC, I didn't think the audio offset was that bad. Better yet, I didn't notice that it worsened over time. I watched it for over 20 minutes and didn't notice any change. I did a manual offset of .4 sec to compensate and it seemed fine after 20 minutes or so. Will I notice it after more time?

The only thing on my config that might be different than others is that in XBMC 13.1 Gotham stable release, is that I have Hardware acceleration enabled but I unchecked both Mediacodec and libstagefright (it is the only way that I can watch xvid without stutter and doesn't seem to affect mp4 h264 movies). Maybe someone else can try this?

Also, movies I played on Plex shows the same...small lag but somewhat tolerable and it didn't seem to get worse over time, but I only did this for about 5 minutes.

t3ch42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Any update or progress on development of using bluetooth headphones without sync issues?
Have had pretty good luck with xbmc 13.2 beta rc1.
Am using this BT adapter but only have a few issues now. This syncs up to the fire TV and the audio stays in sync with xbmc.
As I stated in my review, the channels are reversed. Not a real big deal as I can switch my headphones manually to the other ear. After checking my son's BT headphones too, I'm beginning to think all the Chinese imports have their audio connections backwards.
As I watch the show tonight, I can say that the BT alternative is working pretty good. I've had it set forward about 0.2sec ahead and it was quite tolerable. Seems to be getting better. Maybe next update will fix it.
Anybody else had any better luck?

superflysocal
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Have had pretty good luck with xbmc 13.2 beta rc1.
Am using this BT adapter but only have a few issues now. This syncs up to the fire TV and the audio stays in sync with xbmc.
As I stated in my review, the channels are reversed. Not a real big deal as I can switch my headphones manually to the other ear. After checking my son's BT headphones too, I'm beginning to think all the Chinese imports have their audio connections backwards.
As I watch the show tonight, I can say that the BT alternative is working pretty good. I've had it set forward about 0.2sec ahead and it was quite tolerable. Seems to be getting better. Maybe next update will fix it.
Anybody else had any better luck?
So where do you plug this into? The USB port of the AFTV? how do you pair it?

Tags
audiocast, bubbleupnp, private listening from xbmc