Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 51,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

roku-like audiocast to phone / headphones

Tip us?

t3ch42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
So where do you plug this into? The USB port of the AFTV? how do you pair it?
Its a simple little BT receiver that allows a 1/8 headphone jack or jumper to plug into your car aux. It has a battery which lasts three or so hours with headphones plugged in.
To sync, turn on the switch and search with your phone, firetv or whatever you have with BT audio. It automatically connects. Simple. Cheap.

goodhur
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I actually use a pair cheapo 2.4ghz headphones I got as a gift. None audio sync issues I had using a bluetooth transmitter. I just plug it into either the headphone port on the bedroom tv or on the av receiver when I watch in the living room when I can't sleep.

these look nice
The JBL WR2.4 looks nice for under $50 at Amazon

superflysocal
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhur View Post
I actually use a pair cheapo 2.4ghz headphones I got as a gift. None audio sync issues I had using a bluetooth transmitter. I just plug it into either the headphone port on the bedroom tv or on the av receiver when I watch in the living room when I can't sleep.

these look nice
The JBL WR2.4 looks nice for under $50 at Amazon
Most tv now a day doesn't have headphone jack.

Some of us don't have receiver in bedroom tv

goodhur
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Most tv now a day doesn't have headphone jack.

Some of us don't have receiver in bedroom tv
My bedroom TV has a headphone port the side and no av receiver. That tv is technically a computer monitor with hdmi and a tuner. So that may explain why it still has a headphone port. However, many larger TV's still have an audio out (line level, red and white RCA) that can be used with wireless headphones. There are also toslink to analog convertors or HDMI audio extractors that you can get for about $25. You could use one to achieve line level audio.

I have been researching TV's since the living room tv is old. My living room TV is ridiculous it is HD but it is a 50" plasma from 2004 and it was built before ASTC HD tuners were put in TV sets. The last owners left it because it was a pita to move, I can't imagine how much it would have cost in 2004.

The headphone I mentioned appears not to be a good choice in the line level audio output scenario.

superflysocal
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ch42 View Post
Its a simple little BT receiver that allows a 1/8” headphone jack or jumper to plug into your car aux. It has a battery which lasts three or so hours with headphones plugged in.
To sync, turn on the switch and search with your phone, firetv or whatever you have with BT audio. It automatically connects. Simple. Cheap.
Then I am not sure how this approach would be different than using bluetooth headphones other than you getting lucky with this particular unit compared to others. It is bascially a bluetooth headphone without the headphones.

It's great that it works for you though.

t3ch42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Then I am not sure how this approach would be different than using bluetooth headphones other than you getting lucky with this particular unit compared to others. It is bascially a bluetooth headphone without the headphones.

It's great that it works for you though.
You're right. They are no different. What I did notice is the audio did not seem too out of sync if at all with the newer version of xbmc.
Of course, it could just be a coincidence with a movie that had it audio set out of sync already...I don't know. I may have been more tolerant of the prep work in order to get it to work, pause the video, adjust delay forward, unpause and verify.
The point for me was that it was easy. The BT receiver could have been a more expensive one or cheaper. I don't think it matters too much right now as the BT audio is just an unintended positive side effect.
Amazon may enable a better fix soon or someone may mod a custom image with support if the bootloader opens. Its possible. Either way, I'm happy with the amazon TV. There a bunch more options and capabilities available on this xbmc box than any of the others I've had.
Tags
audiocast, bubbleupnp, private listening from xbmc