Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

XBMC 13.2b1 Launcher Mod (no xposed modules necessary)

Tip us?

mastafunk
Old
(Last edited by mastafunk; 15th July 2014 at 04:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Here is xbmc13.2 beta 1 compiled to work as an android launcher. Just a couple tweaks from stock including..
Thanks to mejdam for testing the proceedure for me..
  • Modified manifest to act as Android Launcher
  • remote sends keypress set as default
  • tweaked advancedsettings.xml
  • xbmchub/xunity/mashup sources included

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/69c415f3

To get this going without xposed modules follow these steps....
(You will loose access to the firetv launcher and amazon prime videos/store)

PREP

You will want to sideload an app that can freeze apk's ie appfreezer or titanium backup.
You will probably want to get anything you want from the amazon store (ie the firetv netflix app).
You will want to sideload an android app manager (as you will loose the ability to uninstall apps from the firetv launcher), and sideload the google playstore so you can easily install apps.

1)Sideload the xbmc from this thread

2)Launch you apk freezer app and freeze the firetv launcher (depending on your app it may be listed as KFTV Launcher)

3)Press the home key on your firetv remote. Select XBMC and always from the popup, and let XBMC load its first run.

4)Reboot Firetv.

If you want the box to show the kewl slideshow screensaver and goto sleep as before then under XBMC settings/system/Powersaving set timer to 20 minutes and function to Quit. With these settings as long as a video is not playing or paused xbmc will shutdown in 20 mins and the amazon slideshow screensaver will come up and the box will eventually sleep like normal.

Pressing home on firetv remote will wake it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mastafunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ToxicDM
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there anyway you can just upload the tweaked xbmc apk without the launcher modifications.

mastafunk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
You don't have to use the launcher option.. As a matter of fact it will be disabled if you are running the kftv launcher. So go ahead and use this one.

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastafunk View Post
3)Press the home key on your firetv remote. Select XBMC and always from the popup, and let XBMC load its first run.
Wow, this will really help me. I always knew the chooser was there, but after hours of debugging I was still never able to figure out what is preventing it from opening. This is good to know that I can force it this way, to try to figure out whats preventing it from opening in the normal case where the launcher isn't frozen.

mastafunk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
The launcher itself is preventing it and other things as well like input method swapping etc.. Mejdam inadvertantly found it getting the ouya store to work..

mejdam
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
The launcher itself is preventing it and other things as well like input method swapping etc.. Mejdam inadvertantly found it getting the ouya store to work..
i even created a video showing how i freeze kftv launcher. Thanks for the xbmc mod. Anyway you can mod the latest SPMC version into a launcher? thats my prefered xbmc version.

mastafunk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Sure give me a link

mejdam
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Sure give me a link
http://filez.semperpax.com/5r4ln85l

mastafunk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejdam View Post
Try this.. http://www.datafilehost.com/d/51e1e636
The Following User Says Thank You to mastafunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mejdam
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
thank you, i'll test it once i get home.