Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,320 Members 38,073 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

apps like hulu, cbs, a&e, etc - are they limited in any way?

Tip us?

deepasadish
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default apps like hulu, cbs, a&e, etc - are they limited in any way?

does the fire tv support "regular hulu" (NOT huluplus)? i.e., since hulu provides many tv series for free on android now, does that see the fire tv also as a regular android device and work? can someone confirm whether that works.

also, i would also like to know if apps like WatchABC, CBS, A&E etc show the full episodes that come free (without entering subscription info) on a regular android phone/device.

i use these apps greatly for catching up on TV and would like to know whether the behavior is same on fire tv as well.

thanks.

Spykez0129
Old
Thanks Meter 8
AFAIK most apps see the FireTV as an Android device unless the developer specifically has it work differently with FireTV.

deepasadish
Old
(Last edited by deepasadish; 31st August 2014 at 02:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
thanks. it would be nice to get confirmation though.

i guess, once rooted, we can always change the build.prop to say it is a "nexus 7" etc?

my fire tv is stuck on the "we are unable to contact our servers, we will keep trying" thing.

i have rebooted like 20 times. also, using keyboard (logitech K400) to get into recovery like here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2799779 doesn't work as well.

edit - ok after reading this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=26 i had a better idea and was able to get to recovery and wipe.

but, still couldn't get past the above message.

finally, i put a keyword block for "51.1.2" on the router (removed other blocks) and let it ride. first it updated to 51.1.0.2_user_510058520 and then later after getting in to 51.1.1.0_user_511070220.

i now have root and xbmc. will update as i play with it.

thanks all.

Nomedias
Old
Thanks Meter 31
For me the CBS app does work on my stock FTV. Since it isn't an official FTV app, I had to side load it and start it from the settings menu. It also requires a mouse to navigate in the app. That said it performs better and is less trouble to use than the alternatives I've tried (Plex or Playon server). Its a shame CBS doesn't revise their app to FTV, since they allow its use on most other android devices.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium HD app
Nokia 5160, Nokia 7160, Nokia 6340, SE T616, SE T637, SE Z520a, Cingular 8125, SE W350i, HTC Touch Cruise, Samsung Vibrant S, Samsung Nexus SMy Phone History

deepasadish
Old
(Last edited by deepasadish; 31st August 2014 at 06:46 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomedias View Post
For me the CBS app does work on my stock FTV. Since it isn't an official FTV app, I had to side load it and start it from the settings menu. It also requires a mouse to navigate in the app. That said it performs better and is less trouble to use than the alternatives I've tried (Plex or Playon server). Its a shame CBS doesn't revise their app to FTV, since they allow its use on most other android devices.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium HD app
thanks. hulu (checked for the FREE version), a&e and cbs are working for me now.

hope they don't start blocking this device .