Lightbulb Linux (Ubuntu) on Android help

OP retroben

12th July 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fultondale
Thanks Meter: 39

396 posts
More
I found this albeit old video of it running without needing a unlocked bootloader or custom ROM ,but the img file is larger than 3.5GB.

It can even access Wi-Fi properly and use FireFox!
Can it run the upcoming Linux port of Goat Simulator? (I doubt it,but it might on more modern Androids)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_diU7i7Z0

I want to put the img file on my 32GB mass media storage and use it from there.

Mayber there is a newer version of Linux (ubuntu) that runs way faster in comparison with that old 2011 version.

Can someone please help me with this?
Last edited by retroben; 12th July 2014 at 11:30 PM.
13th July 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fultondale

396 posts
More
Please respond.

I just found out that there is a later version that can be used.
The 13.10 version of Ubuntu Linux.

Page for installing.

http://www.opensourcegangster.com/ru...10-on-android/

I always hate it when they tell you to do stuff that is only accessible normally through official stock android!
It is probably easy to do using SQLite on settings provider for Fire TV.

I still need to know if I can use the .img file on my 32GB USB Mass Storage stick via stickmount instead of deleting everything to make room for the file on my internal storage.
I would assume that it works if I simply change the img directory to the stickmount provided USB directory.
13th July 2014, 10:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fultondale

396 posts
More
While nobody replied to my thread,I have got ubuntu to run on my Fire TV!
The big issue is that I can't get the more important applications like "Web Browser" to open.
I can open the image viewer and access my images and various other applications work as well,just not the web browser.
I also need to know how to properly install apps so I can get other things running.
I can also confirm the large 4GB ubuntu running with the image in usbStorage/sda1/ubuntu.img via stickmount on my 32GB storage.
13th July 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 22

68 posts
Small could be good too
If you could do the same with smaller linux distros - like DamnSmallLinux - could that be useful to fix some bricked devices?
13th July 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 850

827 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljaries42@gmail.com

If you could do the same with smaller linux distros - like DamnSmallLinux - could that be useful to fix some bricked devices?

From reading the guide it seems like all it is is Ubuntu in a chroot. So the fire TV needs to be booting properly.
22nd January 2015, 03:27 PM   |  #6  
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 2

23 posts
More
I'm not owning a fire tv at the moment, but i'm looking into buying one.
My goal is to replace my old Rpi which is running a little bit slow for me as I run on it a couple of software:
- XBMC/Kodi
- samba
-Nginx as web server
- VPN server
- FTP, SMB, NFS
- Deluge, Sickrage, couchpotato... and more can not remember all of them right now.
in few words I use it as media center, file server and torrent server..

So I understood that is possible to install Kodi on the fire TV by doing a side loading of the apk file and install it.
That will solve the media center part, but what about the rest?
chroot could be a solution to run the other linux services that I need, basically I don't need GUI in chroot, is enough if I can connect via SSH and run my services there.
And in addition I would need to have a USB HDD plugged in to store the media content which get's downloaded automatically.

Could this setup run on a fire tv in conjunction with chroot ? Any ideas why wouldn't ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread