Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Does Miracast work?
Yes 8 25.00%
No 24 75.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Miracast - Who has it working?

OP sirfergy

26th November 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

35 posts
I have the fire stick, and can't get miracast to work. For those of you that do have it working, can you share your setup?

Devices I've tried:
Moto G with Lollipop
Surface Pro 3
HP Stream 7
Nokia Lumia 1520

For me it just sits on the waiting screen, sometimes my device name shows up saying mirroring will start soon but then it eventually times out and goes back to the settings screen.
26th November 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 27

237 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy

I have the fire stick, and can't get miracast to work. For those of you that do have it working, can you share your setup?

Devices I've tried:
Moto G with Lollipop
Surface Pro 3
HP Stream 7
Nokia Lumia 1520

For me it just sits on the waiting screen, sometimes my device name shows up saying mirroring will start soon but then it eventually times out and goes back to the settings screen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire...2944609/page13

post #126 worked fine with lg g3
29th November 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 163

1,654 posts
Quote:

Devices I've tried:
Moto G with Lollipop
Surface Pro 3
HP Stream 7
Nokia Lumia 1520

I haven't been able to get Miracast on my Fire TV Stick to connect to me Windows 8.1 laptop.

Yes, I've gone to settings->display & sounds->enable display mirroring.

The first time I tried it on the laptop, it showed up in my devices (as a cell phone, which is strange), but when I "projected the screen", nothing ever showed up on the screen and it changed my laptop's resolution. I deleted it from devices and tried again and I can't get it to connect now. It just said said display mirroring is starting soon on the fire tv stick and just times out on the laptop.

On my LG G3, it didn't work last night, but when I tried it again just now, it worked.

Should the Fire TV Stick be able to Miracast with my laptop? My WLAN card does not support 5GHz. Is that the problem? The Fire TV Stick and LG G3 are connected via 5GHz, the laptop is connected to the same router via 2.4GHz.
Last edited by lexluthor; 29th November 2014 at 02:50 PM.
30th November 2014, 02:02 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I also can't get it to work with either my Lenovo X1 Carbon or, Samsung Series 7 tablet (Win 8.1 on both, miracast on the first, Intel WIDI on the second), the firetv is detected but it just won't connect. It worked with my Moto X, so I'm assuming it might just be working with android devices at this point which is a damn shame since this was one of the main selling points of the Fire TV stick for me.
1st December 2014, 06:21 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Got it working on my Fire Stick and Nexus 5 running on custom kitkat rom. Had no luck on the first few try, my phone can see my fire stick and when it said it's connecting, the fire tv stick also said it's "preparing" to connect to my android device with my device name on the screen, but it would just disconnect without doing anything and go back to the setting screen after a few seconds.

Then i tried to turn off and turn on my wifi on my phone, tried again, fire tv now put the tv screen into a black & blank screen, but nothing more, it would disconnect again after a few seconds later. Tried a few times later on, same result, and no luck.

Again, i turn off my wifi on my phone and tried again and it now connected wonderfully! Tried youtube video on my phone and it's watchable on the tv, i'm going to try out a local video tomorrow and see how does it perform, so far i'm happy with browsing my photo in my phone alone without lags i found unacceptable on chromecast (but to be fair, it's not build for direct mirroring a device)

I have no luck in setting it up with my win 8.1 DELL e6540 laptop yet, i'm not sure if it even support miracast, would look into that also tomorrow. Right now i'm just happy it works on my phone and the quality is definitely acceptable.

Hope it helps someone to setup your miracast!
2nd December 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 29

81 posts
Quote:

Devices I've tried:
Moto G with Lollipop
Surface Pro 3
HP Stream 7
Nokia Lumia 1520

3 of the 4 devices you try to cast are Windows, which you will expect problems since this is an Android system. The Moto G might have to deal with Lollipop and Google locking down Miracast for Chromecast only. I have a Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 on Lollipop and both can't cast to Amazon Fire TV. However, my Oneplus One and Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 running CM11 can cast both to Chromecast and Fire TV/Fire Stick. I think this is due to some kind of ROM blocking. Just wait till somebody find a way around it. Most devs are busy porting Lollipop to old Android devices.
2nd December 2014, 07:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

35 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi6s

3 of the 4 devices you try to cast are Windows, which you will expect problems since this is an Android system. The Moto G might have to deal with Lollipop and Google locking down Miracast for Chromecast only. I have a Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 on Lollipop and both can't cast to Amazon Fire TV. However, my Oneplus One and Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 running CM11 can cast both to Chromecast and Fire TV/Fire Stick. I think this is due to some kind of ROM blocking. Just wait till somebody find a way around it. Most devs are busy porting Lollipop to old Android devices.

That's probably the case, I just thought being Miracast certified meant it was actually supposed to work.
3rd December 2014, 09:15 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I've both a Note 3 and a LG G3 but can't miracast to my fire tv device from either. The phones can seethe fire tv and their name appears briefly on screen but then it simply fails. Everything is unrooted.
5th December 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #9  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 55

225 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by classact

I've both a Note 3 and a LG G3 but can't miracast to my fire tv device from either. The phones can seethe fire tv and their name appears briefly on screen but then it simply fails. Everything is unrooted.

works great on my wife's G3 but not on my nexus 5 with lollipop.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcky000

Got it working on my Fire Stick and Nexus 5 running on custom kitkat rom. Had no luck on the first few try, my phone can see my fire stick and when it said it's connecting, the fire tv stick also said it's "preparing" to connect to my android device with my device name on the screen, but it would just disconnect without doing anything and go back to the setting screen after a few seconds.

Then i tried to turn off and turn on my wifi on my phone, tried again, fire tv now put the tv screen into a black & blank screen, but nothing more, it would disconnect again after a few seconds later. Tried a few times later on, same result, and no luck.

Again, i turn off my wifi on my phone and tried again and it now connected wonderfully! Tried youtube video on my phone and it's watchable on the tv, i'm going to try out a local video tomorrow and see how does it perform, so far i'm happy with browsing my photo in my phone alone without lags i found unacceptable on chromecast (but to be fair, it's not build for direct mirroring a device)

I have no luck in setting it up with my win 8.1 DELL e6540 laptop yet, i'm not sure if it even support miracast, would look into that also tomorrow. Right now i'm just happy it works on my phone and the quality is definitely acceptable.

Hope it helps someone to setup your miracast!

no luck on my nexus 5 with lollipop. stays on the connecting screen and then just stops trying to connect.
5th December 2014, 04:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 9

53 posts
Works for about a minute and then stops
Stock Nexus 5 running Lollipop. Activated casting on the Fire Stick, and then on the N5. It seems like I had to get off of the cast screen on the N5 before it would start casting. I simply went back to the home screen. Tried to cast a you tube video which worked for a minute or so but then the TV screen went blank. Eventually the Fire Stick said the connection was dropped.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fire stick, miracast
Previous Thread Next Thread