Zooper Widget! Create Anything

[Q&A] FireTV Boot Menu 1.0

OP QA Bot

QA Bot
15th December 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Q&A for FireTV Boot Menu 1.0

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for FireTV Boot Menu 1.0. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!
15th December 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #2  

1 posts
Missed a step...
Well, as careful as I was trying to be, I managed to screw up the steps!

1) I have no way to block OTA updates via the router (I don't have access), but when I booted up the first time I was able to go into system settings and cancel the update it was downloading. Phew. Still on 51.1.0.1_user_510055620.
2) Sideload towelroot and SuperSU. Success.
4) Root and install BusyBox. Done.
3) Block OTA updates. Now I'm safe!
4) Unlock the bootloader and install CWM 6.0.5.1.4a. Version check. Verified.
5) Install 51.1.4.0_514006420 updated via CWM. Now we're making progress!
6) Install BusyBox again. I guess it wasn't included in "51.1.4.0_514006420 updated."
7) I see to update further, I need to install RBox Boot Menu, so I press forward. I was being SO careful. I verified md5sums, read back through the instructions, and tried to follow line-by-line. I finish installing RBox and reboot.

Success, I think, as RBox loads!! I watch the countdown go from 5 to 0, and then... well, nothing. It just sits there. I read back through the instructions and realize I missed one very crucial step. Yup, I missed copying the original boot.img to /system/boot/. So of course now, it just boots to RBox, but doesn't know where to go from there. And I can't do anything else about it tonight because I don't have a USB keyboard -- I did all the stuff above using ADB and recovery-input.

Sooo, I think all I have to do is hook up a USB keyboard, go into recovery (which I can't do right now with no way to select recovery in RBox), reflash "51.1.4.0_514006420 updated," and start over with the RBox install process -- this time making sure I don't miss any steps. Tomorrow I'll bring home a USB keyboard from work and hopefully have better success!
15th December 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 843

825 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgriffi

Well, as careful as I was trying to be, I managed to screw up the steps!

1) I have no way to block OTA updates via the router (I don't have access), but when I booted up the first time I was able to go into system settings and cancel the update it was downloading. Phew. Still on 51.1.0.1_user_510055620.
2) Sideload towelroot and SuperSU. Success.
4) Root and install BusyBox. Done.
3) Block OTA updates. Now I'm safe!
4) Unlock the bootloader and install CWM 6.0.5.1.4a. Version check. Verified.
5) Install 51.1.4.0_514006420 updated via CWM. Now we're making progress!
6) Install BusyBox again. I guess it wasn't included in "51.1.4.0_514006420 updated."
7) I see to update further, I need to install RBox Boot Menu, so I press forward. I was being SO careful. I verified md5sums, read back through the instructions, and tried to follow line-by-line. I finish installing RBox and reboot.

Success, I think, as RBox loads!! I watch the countdown go from 5 to 0, and then... well, nothing. It just sits there. I read back through the instructions and realize I missed one very crucial step. Yup, I missed copying the original boot.img to /system/boot/. So of course now, it just boots to RBox, but doesn't know where to go from there. And I can't do anything else about it tonight because I don't have a USB keyboard -- I did all the stuff above using ADB and recovery-input.

Sooo, I think all I have to do is hook up a USB keyboard, go into recovery (which I can't do right now with no way to select recovery in RBox), reflash "51.1.4.0_514006420 updated," and start over with the RBox install process -- this time making sure I don't miss any steps. Tomorrow I'll bring home a USB keyboard from work and hopefully have better success!

As long as bootmenu and recovery is working, you can just flash to 51.1.4.1 and it'll be fine.
16th December 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

As long as bootmenu and recovery is working, you can just flash to 51.1.4.1 and it'll be fine.

Success! Thanks for the advice about not having to start over with RBox. Hooked up the keyboard (which worked flawlessly), installed the latest pre-rooted image and I'm back up and running!
16th December 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #5  

0 posts
few questions
hello,

Just so I will learn few things
When I power up the machine it start by loading from /boot partition, Then it decide whether to go to /recovery or /system ?
I saw somewhere that the /boot include the kernel and that the /system the OS ?

I saw from the guide that bootmenu is copied into the /boot
and that the original /boot to /system/boot.
Why do need to save the original /boot ?

I guess that the bootmenu does not include the kernel ?
If so - the pre-rooted roms include this /system/boot ?
also - installing a stock rom will fail because it doesn't built this way or will it also overwrite the /boot ?

Sorry for asking a lot - Interested in וnderstanding.
Thank you
1st January 2015, 12:32 AM   |  #6  

0 posts
Fire TV Menu 1.0 Question
I have the same issue this person this person has, would appreciate any thoughts or ideas, thanks:
After installing bootmenu I get stuck at the boot screen where the count runs to 0 and am unable to choose launch recovery.
The device does boot into the kernel automatically with no issues.
For some reason my keyboard doesn’t allow me to change it to recovery and I have tried several keyboards. However, if I do ctrl-alt-del the unit reboots so it seems the keyboard commands are working. Any way to recover from this?" Have tested with both pre-rooted 51.1.40 and 51.1.41
4th January 2015, 12:23 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 3

55 posts
Today I installed the app following the instructions but after a reboot it won't go past the Amazon Logo. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it?
I don't have ADB access to the device via the network have not tried via USB
22nd January 2015, 04:01 AM   |  #8  

0 posts
Problem downloading firetv-bootmenu-1.0.img
No matter what i do this file wont' downlaod from mediafire. Can somene PLEASE upload it to another location. It should have a mirror anyways right? I've been attempting to download it for hours.
Thanks guys

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa
Previous Thread Next Thread