TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] FireTV low on storage

OP adionita

1st July 2014, 12:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

36 posts
Can anyone please help me to clean up some of the storage on the FTV as I only have 0.5 Gb free from the available 5.5 ?

I tried using ES file explorer's SD card analyst tool but i can only see 1.5 Gb ocupied. I don't know how to clean up the rest to 5.5 gb.

I think the cache is not user available on thsi device.
1st July 2014, 01:29 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

64 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adionita

Can anyone please help me to clean up some of the storage on the FTV as I only have 0.5 Gb free from the available 5.5 ?

I tried using ES file explorer's SD card analyst tool but i can only see 1.5 Gb ocupied. I don't know how to clean up the rest to 5.5 gb.

You have XBMC on there? The thumbnail directory can get large with a big library.

You can delete it, but unless you find do an alternate location, it's going to rebuild. You can find the thumbnail location on the XBMC wiki. There's also a thread here about changing the advancedsettings.xml to store them on a USB mounted share. You can also store them on a central server which is what I do.
1st July 2014, 01:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

36 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP

You have XBMC on there? The thumbnail directory can get large with a big library.

You can delete it, but unless you find do an alternate location, it's going to rebuild. You can find the thumbnail location on the XBMC wiki. There's also a thread here about changing the advancedsettings.xml to store them on a USB mounted share. You can also store them on a central server which is what I do.

i deleted the thumbnail directory but there is still another 3gb that i cannot find using es file explorer. I think the FTV builds it's cache somewhere else than the sdcard and i cannot seem to find it.
1st July 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 48

70 posts
More
Quote:

i deleted the thumbnail directory but there is still another 3gb that i cannot find using es file explorer. I think the FTV builds it's cache somewhere else than the sdcard and i cannot seem to find it.

DIskUsage is a simple little app that works well on the Fire TV. Sideload it and use it to determine which apps are using all your storage. If you have apps with a lot of storage under "data", you can move that to an externally attached USB drive if you're rooted.
Last edited by fireTVnews.com; 23rd July 2014 at 01:52 AM.
1st July 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 27

237 posts
More
Quote:

check (not sure of exact path but something like) sdcard0/.android/.estrong......./tmp where it caches sideloaded files if you installed apps using es explorer. (or wipe cache in es explorer maybe)
2nd July 2014, 02:03 AM   |  #6  
Flag Palm Desert, CA
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
More
have you gone into settings in the Fire TV Home screen and looked at each applications cache? Photos had 375MB when I looked and I don't even use photos (probably for the screensaver I guess..)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread