Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,558 Members 44,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting Updates?

Tip us?

mikespe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default Getting Updates?

I just unblocked my rooted AFTV to check for the remote control update but it's not showing any. I also checked for a system update but none are showing there either. I rebooted the unit to see if that would trigger anything but nothing. I am currently on version 51.1.0.2....and my remote version is 349 (I believe the update is 351?) Any idea how to get the updates?

Thanks!!

retroben
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Something tells me that is Amazon's scheme since we now have root access for the old and current update,and they are leaving it unaccessible until they patch root in the next update.

Now we have to risk bricking our Fire TVs when installing the update manually using root access.

mikespe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Something tells me that is Amazon's scheme since we now have root access for the old and current update,and they are leaving it unaccessible until they patch root in the next update.

Now we have to risk bricking our Fire TVs when installing the update manually using root access.
But it's weird that others are getting the updates...there must me something to entice the update to start? PLus I'd be willing to unroot since I'm not really using it much anyway...I only sideloaded a few apps with Terminal....but I believe that can be done anyway...

kairnage
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespe View Post
But it's weird that others are getting the updates...there must me something to entice the update to start? PLus I'd be willing to unroot since I'm not really using it much anyway...I only sideloaded a few apps with Terminal....but I believe that can be done anyway...
According to Amazon support, if you can get one who is even aware of the update, the update is being rolled out incrementally but he didn;t know if it was XXXX amount a night or a week.

toe-rag
Old
(Last edited by toe-rag; 10th July 2014 at 12:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post

Humm.. couldn't you just do a "factory reset" I just assumed that option would restore your FTV back to "NEW" condition... hence wiping everything you've added, but I don't see how that would put you in risk of "Bricking"

I'm saying this, as I thought about this myself, because it seems so easy to add XBMC root, and sideload the few apps I use.

Of course my system is very simple and basic. the only options I've added is to launch XBMC using the 'Classic TV' llama app, swap ... and swapped out the preview graphic.

I could probably redue my whole system from scratch (including a restore from XBMC) in 15-20 mins.

ETFoneHome
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Even without root, not everybody has the update yet.