Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 53,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How are you guys adding files to the external mount

Tip us?

KillerJoeBR
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by videomilk View Post
That's what I'm trying to achieve. I'm going to start messing around with a usenet client on the fire tv and see if I can have it downloading to the external drive. It would be a great little setup .
Yeah. That would be ideal. But i would be satisfied if i can access the portable hd from my network and then send my downloads to it from my main pc.

I think i will try the sambadroid and see if it works at boot. Anyway give us any update of your progress.

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

KillerJoeBR
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Just want to give a status update. I tried sambadroid and it works ok even after reboot.

But my transfer speed over wifi is quite slow. Around 1.5mb/s. Maybe its my router but i could get better speed with my old htpc. Maybe it's sambadroid. The app says i can get better speeds with paid pro version. Or maybe i need to be wires to get better speed.

Anyway i want you guys to know my progress.

The Following User Says Thank You to KillerJoeBR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

videomilk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJoeBR View Post
Just want to give a status update. I tried sambadroid and it works ok even after reboot.

But my transfer speed over wifi is quite slow. Around 1.5mb/s. Maybe its my router but i could get better speed with my old htpc. Maybe it's sambadroid. The app says i can get better speeds with paid pro version. Or maybe i need to be wires to get better speed.

Anyway i want you guys to know my progress.

Yeah I'm getting about 1.6mb/s with funky fresh samba. Pretty slow.

KillerJoeBR
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Yeah I'm getting about 1.6mb/s with funky fresh samba. Pretty slow.

Yeah, this way is quite impractical to use it as a NAS/Server.

Can anyone test this setup being wired and see what speed you can get?

jmerrilljr2
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
So this worked a treat for me. Taken from another site

I just tested this: funkyfresh.samba (wasn't allowed to post the URL
First link, and it works fine once you set the screen to landscape.

Here a guide:

1. Download Samba Filesharing from above, sideload it, and launch it.
2. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose settings.
3. Set a password. Without a password the rest is greyed out. For test use 1234
4. Set screen orientation to Landscape, press back to exit and launch the app again.
5. Choose a username, default is SDCARD
6. Press back.
7. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose enable.
8. Wait a sec or 5. When asking for SU say YES, the app will exit to background.

On the windows computer:

1. Open windows explorer and choose connect to network drive.
2. Enter \\ipaddressofftv\SDCARD choose a drive letter, tick use different credentials and press OK.
3. In the username field enter: SDCARD in the password field: 1234
4. Press Ok.

You can choose to mount \\ipaddressofftv\usbStorage\<deviceid> in step #2 and thereby mount the harddrive directly if you don't care about having access to the rest on the box.
My USB Drive is formatted as ex-fat. While I can mount the drive the Firetv only sees around 5gb of free space when actually there is 300+. Any suggestions? I'm on a Mac and cant use Windows NT formatting.

akajack
Old
(Last edited by akajack; 14th July 2014 at 08:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default usb drive and ftp

Plugged in a 2TB USB drive to the FireTV, installed an ftp server on the FireTV, put cyberduck (ftp client) on my Windows 7 machine.

Now I can create directories on the USB drive on the FireTV from my Windows machine and ftp files into those directories. XBMC sees them fine and plays them.

I cannot ftp any file over 2GB it fails every time (no mater if ftp or ssh or different client on the Windows box.) I CAN add files over 2GB to the USB drive if it detach it and plug it direct into my Windows machine and transfer the files. Then the FireTV and XBMC can see those files and use them normally.