How well does XBMC work on Fire TV

OP HenryTheUnicorn

20th July 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbxx

This is all true. However, to get the best possible XBMC experience on the KFTV will require root and to setup an XBMC Launcher (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2790392). This launcher replaces the KFTV launcher while still providing access to it and Amazon Prime. It's literally the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the links. How do I do a factory reset or unroot my device just incase I decide to return it?
20th July 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 13

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTheUnicorn

Thank you for the links. How do I do a factory reset or unroot my device just incase I decide to return it?

Fire TV News (link in a prior post) has guides for all your issues. I would also recommend downloading ADBFire which you can find in the Fire TV Themes and Apps subforum of this forum
20th July 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi.
I've rooted my AFTV and installet XBMC. It works good, but I have some problems.

1) IPTV PVR SIMPLE addon not working. When I whant to play any channel it freezes and can't go back to menu. Only reset helps.

2) Some kind of shifting in rewind when making step forward or backward fo 30 sec. Very long time of buffering.

3) Sleep mode in XBMC not working properly. It reboots AFTV every time, but no sleep.

4) And the biggest problem in Audio. When I use Direct output with ac3, dts, etc the video playback begins to slow.
20th July 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madline

Hi.
I've rooted my AFTV and installet XBMC. It works good, but I have some problems.

1) IPTV PVR SIMPLE addon not working. When I whant to play any channel it freezes and can't go back to menu. Only reset helps.

2) Some kind of shifting in rewind when making step forward or backward fo 30 sec. Very long time of buffering.

3) Sleep mode in XBMC not working properly. It reboots AFTV every time, but no sleep.

4) And the biggest problem in Audio. When I use Direct output with ac3, dts, etc the video playback begins to slow.

1. So if I don't use this addon, it won't affect me?
2. What do you mean?
3. Does this fix your problem? http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...quires_root.29
4. Is there a way for audio and video playback to run smooth without this problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to HenryTheUnicorn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #15  

3 posts
Quote:

1. So if I don't use this addon, it won't affect me?
2. What do you mean?
3. Does this fix your problem?
4. Is there a way for audio and video playback to run smooth without this problem?

1. May be You know any other way to play IPTV playlist without installing additional server soft (such as Tvheadend)? On my HTPC I use "PVR IPTV Simple Client" and it works perfect. On AFTV it stucks.
2. Fast-forward causes everything to look choppy. I think I should edit advancedsettings.xml
3. I made all steps by this wiki. I've installed this Android Screensaver and it worked normally till today. Now my AFTV every minute reboots instead of sleep mode.
4. Yes. In standart settings it works. Without enable passthrough. But this is not acceptable for me.
21st July 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member

125 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madline

1. May be You know any other way to play IPTV playlist without installing additional server soft (such as Tvheadend)? On my HTPC I use "PVR IPTV Simple Client" and it works perfect. On AFTV it stucks.
2. Fast-forward causes everything to look choppy. I think I should edit advancedsettings.xml
3. I made all steps by this wiki. I've installed this Android Screensaver and it worked normally till today. Now my AFTV every minute reboots instead of sleep mode.
4. Yes. In standart settings it works. Without enable passthrough. But this is not acceptable for me.

Darn. What should I get? Amazon Fire TV or Raspberry Pi?
21st July 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 16

147 posts
Quote:

Fire TV and do not look back. Besides, you have a 30 day return period throught Amazon. Try it out and see if you like it. You have absolutely nothing to lose doing so.
21st July 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 3

40 posts
Quote:

I have had a raspberry pi with raspbmc for over a year. I bought the firetv two weeks ago. While I enjoyed tinkering around with the pi and tweaking it to get the best experience for xbmc, the fire tv is much better. It's just so much more powerful and as a result everything is very smooth, menus, video playback - all of it. In addition, you have the added benefit of having access to netflix and amazon prime which you will not get on raspbmc. Now I have to turn on one less device when I want to watch netflix. Finally, it seems like there are some devs working on unlocking the bootloader - so I would imagine that custom roms can't be far off. So if those things sound good to you, I would highly recommend the FTV.
The Following User Says Thank You to grainybazzles For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th July 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerrilljr2

No flaws. I'm rooted but root is really not relevant to running XBMC. For years I ran Plex on a MacMini. This is way better. Just to start -- DTS pass-thru.

Sideloading is really easy. So is uninstalling. I can't see a down side here.

DTS pass-thru is something that I was banging my head against the wall to make it work, then I just saw "advanced settings" on the left bottom of menu just to find out that you need to activate this to have access to audio pass-thru. Then it worked flawlessly.
27th July 2014, 01:06 AM   |  #20  

157 posts
Spmc
You guys should look into SPMC for an alternative solution to xbmc. Its the same app but custom made that was designed for Ouya.works better on Amzon Fire Tv

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread