Playstation Vue on Fire TV and Fire TV Stick

Search This thread

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
I'm a cord cutter, so this option appeals to me. I downloaded the app on my Fire TV, but as soon as I run it, it says, "Playstation vue not available for your device."

Anyone else try it yet? I signed up for a trial, but I can't even get the damn thing to work yet. I'm hoping it's not because my Fire TV is rooted.

Nov 5, 2010
I haven't tried it yet... But.. You may not be able to use it if your not in one of the few cities it is currently limited to. Look on sonys site.. There is a map. Try using a VPN to appear to be in a supported city like Chicago.. Cause I live in Wisconsin and Sony can suck my nuts. Lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
I haven't tried it yet... But.. You may not be able to use it if your not in one of the few cities it is currently limited to. Look on sonys site.. There is a map. Try using a VPN to appear to be in a supported city like Chicago.. Cause I live in Wisconsin and Sony can suck my nuts. Lol

I already signed up for the free trial. The app just tells me it's can't be used on my device (not location). There's nothing to verify zip codes.

rveety

Dec 14, 2013
I'm having the same problem with a rooted FTV1. It works fine on my non-rooted FTV Stick.

rveety

Dec 14, 2013
I tried Hide My Root and that didn't work either. I started looking through the apk and it seems it is looking for any of the following files:

/system/app/Superuser.apk
/sbin/su
/system/bin/su
/system/xbin/su
/data/local/xbin/su
/data/local/bin/su
/system/sd/xbin/su
/system/bin/failsafe/su
/data/local/su

Then it also runs "/system/xbin/which su" and checks the output. I'm not home now to try renaming these files but I'll try tonight and report back.

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
RootCloak allegedly blocks apps' access based on keywords that include "su" and "Superuser" but it doesn't allow the app to work.

rveety

Dec 14, 2013
Renaming /system/xbin/su and /system/app/Superuser.apk worked. I can now run PS Vue on my rooted FTV, confirming it's just looking for those files.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I think rootcloak should do the trick, but it's failing to load on my Fire TV, check your Xposed log file and see if you get this too:

Code:
Nov 17, 2015 12:29:39 AM UTC
Loading Xposed v54 (for Zygote)...
Running ROM 'bueller-user 4.2.2 JDQ39 51.1.6.3_user_516012020 test-keys' with fingerprint 'qcom/bueller/bueller:4.2.2/JDQ39/51.1.6.3_user_516012020:user/release-keys'
Loading modules from /data/app/com.devadvance.rootcloak2-1.apk
  Loading class com.devadvance.rootcloak2.RootCloak
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: Class ref in pre-verified class resolved to unexpected implementation
	at dalvik.system.DexFile.defineClass(Native Method)
	at dalvik.system.DexFile.loadClassBinaryName(DexFile.java:211)
	at dalvik.system.DexPathList.findClass(DexPathList.java:305)
	at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:62)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:501)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:461)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.loadModule(XposedBridge.java:421)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.loadModules(XposedBridge.java:386)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.main(XposedBridge.java:120)
	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
Can someone extract the APK and post it.

Renaming /system/xbin/su and /system/app/Superuser.apk worked. I can now run PS Vue on my rooted FTV, confirming it's just looking for those files.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I think rootcloak should do the trick, but it's failing to load on my Fire TV, check your Xposed log file and see if you get this too:

Code:
Nov 17, 2015 12:29:39 AM UTC
Loading Xposed v54 (for Zygote)...
Running ROM 'bueller-user 4.2.2 JDQ39 51.1.6.3_user_516012020 test-keys' with fingerprint 'qcom/bueller/bueller:4.2.2/JDQ39/51.1.6.3_user_516012020:user/release-keys'
Loading modules from /data/app/com.devadvance.rootcloak2-1.apk
  Loading class com.devadvance.rootcloak2.RootCloak
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: Class ref in pre-verified class resolved to unexpected implementation
	at dalvik.system.DexFile.defineClass(Native Method)
	at dalvik.system.DexFile.loadClassBinaryName(DexFile.java:211)
	at dalvik.system.DexPathList.findClass(DexPathList.java:305)
	at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:62)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:501)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:461)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.loadModule(XposedBridge.java:421)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.loadModules(XposedBridge.java:386)
	at de.robv.android.xposed.XposedBridge.main(XposedBridge.java:120)
	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

How do I get the log? BTW, I'm using 2.7 experimental1

cnmsales

Jan 3, 2011
Would anyone be able to provide the newest version of the APK? Has anyone tried using this on a Nexus device?

Tweek-

Jun 25, 2014

Hi,

How did you change /system/xbin/su from read-only? I've been trying to set permissions or just rename using mv but it's not working.

EDIT:

got it working now with the following

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
chmod 761 /system/xbin/su
mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/xsu
mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/XSuperuser.apk

Last edited:

dailo_wai

Feb 10, 2007
Hi,

How did you change /system/xbin/su from read-only? I've been trying to set permissions or just rename using mv but it's not working.

EDIT:

Code:
adb shell
su
Thanks for posting the instructions, this worked on my setup. Any downsides to leaving these changes permanent on the system?

Tweek-

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for posting the instructions, this worked on my setup. Any downsides to leaving these changes permanent on the system?

I'm far from an expert so i don't know for sure but from what I can tell you just need to call su xsu in the future when ssh'd into your box if you want to access that command

nineismine

Mar 18, 2011
Worked for me except im using SuperSu.apk

My commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/SuperSU.apk /system/app/XSuperSU.apk

Last edited:
Worked for me except im using SuperSu.apk

My commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/SuperSU.apk /system/app/XSuperSU.apk
Any ideas how to get this to work on a rooted firestick? I got it to work on both of my boxes and just rooted my stick and this doesnt work. I assume its a minor change, but not sure where to go from here.

zerawkid

Jan 28, 2011
So, I have been connecting to Vue behind a DD-wrt router so that I could access Chicago local networks. I don't live in an area where I can receive local channels OTA.

I have no trouble with the connection through Fire Sticks, but the PS4 and Fire TV box will not allow for authentication. I imagine this is because the hardware in those devices allows for a more complex authentication process and Sony is turning back folks from accessing their servers through VPN's.

Here's what happens:

Fire Sticks when connecting via VPN router - works like a charm.

PS4 and Fire TV box when connecting through VPN router - "There was an error during authentication. Please try again later. Press EXIT to close application."

Here's the part that may tell us something: ALL of the above devices, when connecting through my regular, non-VPN router, all return the message stating that I am currently not connecting in my home area, if I click "yes" a new home area will be established and I will no longer be able to use the old area. Again, all of the devices do that, including the Fire TV box and the PS4.

The question I have for the hive mind is: assuming it's an authentication issue, can I defeat or trick the authentication process? Is there a way to fool Sony's servers into thinking I am not, in fact, behind a VPN?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,

EDIT:

Code:
    adb shell
    su