Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 43,850 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

towelroot support broken

Tip us?

elmerohueso
Old
Thanks Meter 136

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
If network support was available in recovery... how would we know the ip address?
Check the DHCP tables in your router to see which IPs have been leased to which device.
Like my work? Did I help you? I like pizza, and keeping my wife happy. Donations are appreciated.

AFTVnews.com
Old
Thanks Meter 38

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If network support was available in recovery... how would we know the ip address? I am wondering if there might USB support in recovery for ADB with male/male cable.... I don't happen to have one to test... anyone else?
I have tested this with no luck. Plugging in a male/male USB cable while on that recovery screen does nothing. The Fire TV is not seen by the PC.
I may be wrong about this, but the problem is that in order to get to that recovery screen, the Fire TV has to be in USB Host Mode. This is what allows it to recognize commands from a USB keyboard. In order to use ADB via USB and transfer the update package, the Fire TV needs to be in USB Accessory Mode. When "Update via USB" is selected, the Fire TV does not switch to USB Accessory Mode. It stays in USB Host Mode.

The only way I know of for the Fire TV to be in USB Accessory mode, is to connect the Fire TV to a PC via a male/male cable while it is powered off, and then power the Fire TV on. In this setup, it sees that it's connected to a PC and enables fastboot via USB with the USB set to Accessory Mode. In this state, plugging in a keyboard does nothing which means there is no way to get to recovery.

tselling
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerohueso View Post
Check the DHCP tables in your router to see which IPs have been leased to which device.
I do not believe that work if it uses a default IP address like many devices do for setup rather than dhcp.

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I do not believe that work if it uses a default IP address like many devices do for setup rather than dhcp.
There is no networking code in the stock recovery. DHCP or explicit ip addresses.

tselling
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
There is no networking code in the stock recovery. DHCP or explicit ip addresses.
I wonder if there is a way to send our own update via network by somehow spoofing the update server that amazon uses.

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 199

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I wonder if there is a way to send our own update via network by somehow spoofing the update server that amazon uses.
MITM'ing an update to the firetv is easy. But making the Fire TV download it is the hard part. When it checks for updates its a complicated encrypted exchange between the firetv and the amazon servers. I tried spoofing that and it was rejected because of the hashes. So if the firetv wants to already download an update, it would be possible for it to download something else. But that something else would still need to be a valid signed update. Can't make it download and update random code.

no_spam_for_me
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTVnews.com View Post
...The only way I know of for the Fire TV to be in USB Accessory mode, is to connect the Fire TV to a PC via a male/male cable while it is powered off, and then power the Fire TV on. In this setup, it sees that it's connected to a PC and enables fastboot via USB with the USB set to Accessory Mode. In this state, plugging in a keyboard does nothing which means there is no way to get to recovery.
Hi,

because I'm new at the AFTV and it's just ordered (I prefer to have it at my hands when I post ideas ) BUT what will happen, if you use your described way to get it to connect to PC, but not using power off/on , but using 'adb reboot recovery' via network?

BTW: OT does 'Image Verification' will stop after a count of posts or do I have to do it always?