OP duckdown

2nd July 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag peel region
Thanks Meter: 0

60 posts
More
Hello folks brand new Fire TV owner here

Installed XBMC official build listed in their wiki using ad adbFire without any issue. Playback and XBMC as a whole seems to be fine except for one major annoyance: my sound cannot be adjusted up or down!

During playback of media or even in the XBMC menus, I can use a keyboard or different remote to press the ' - ' key all the way until the volume slider reaches zero and the red mute icon appears, yet the volume still outputs at the same fixed level as if it were at 100%

I have tried both with and without pass through, but the symptoms are the same

XBMC ACTS like it's raising or lowering the volume, but it simply does not work. No adjustment in audio is heard

What do I do?
2nd July 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

40 posts
For now there is no solution for this. There is a workaround where you can raise or lower the volume by using the amplification option. In the wiki there is a keyboard.xml with this setup.

I just use the tv remote to adjust volume.

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerJoeBR For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag peel region
Thanks Meter: 0

60 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJoeBR

For now there is no solution for this. There is a workaround where you can raise or lower the volume by using the amplification option. In the wiki there is a keyboard.xml with this setup.

I just use the tv remote to adjust volume.

Thank you for the reply but is this amplification option different than pressing - or + on the keyboard? because that doesn't work here

i will look, thanks!
7th July 2014, 12:29 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
As said volampdown and volampupcan can be used instead, this will adjust the volume of all Android not just XBMC. Here is my keymap.xml I do not use the big step's up/down so much so I replaced them in <FullscreenVideo> if anyone has better ideas please share:
Code:
<keymap>
  <Global>
    <keyboard>
      <up>Up</up>
      <down>Down</down>
      <left>Left</left>
      <right>Right</right>
      <enter>Select</enter>
      <menu>ContextMenu</menu>
      <play_pause>Play</play_pause>
      <backspace>Back</backspace>
      <rewind>PageUp</rewind>
      <fastforward>PageDown</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </Global>
  <Home>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>XBMC.ActivateWindow(favourites)</menu>
    </keyboard>
  </Home>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <up>volampup</up>
      <down>volampdown</down>
      <left>StepBack</left>
      <right>StepForward</right>
      <enter>OSD</enter>
      <menu>CodecInfo</menu>
      <play_pause>Play</play_pause>
      <backspace>Back</backspace>
      <rewind>Rewind</rewind>
      <fastforward>FastForward</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>
The volume will lag a bit because it calls the android system. But it's still very usable.
Last edited by realtuxen; 7th July 2014 at 12:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to realtuxen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #5  
Flag Slightly Outside America
Thanks Meter: 23

101 posts
this topic has come up before.

a lot of people don't seem to understand:

technically speaking THERE IS NO VOLUME inside digital signals such as HDMI and toslink/optical/spdif. which is why some devices like ftv or ouya "don't let you change volume". which is where the amplification app comes in.

some devices like google or apple, do offer "volume" - but they are not actually changing the volume. they are doing the same thing as e.g. this amplification app: modifying the waveform before it gets embedded in the bitstream. depending on the software doing it, this alteration cpuld be not very noticeable, or it could be. depends on how much you distort the waveform. most people probably won't notice, or care.

with digital transports like hdmi and optical, the idea is simplicity, cleanness, and purity of sound.

the idea is that you connect to a receiver that uses its DACs to output to speakers. years ago, you had to pay a lot more for receivers with better quality DACs than the cheaper ones. these days, most of them have had decent guts, not just the expensive ones.

a lot of people are just going to connect their set top box directly to their TV. which, I don't know offhand what sort of guts they have, but it's ?probably? not the best precision. not to mention the TV built in speakers probably aren't exactly high-resolution either.

so it's probably not so big a deal, that some people want to have "volume" on their set top box, rather than having to use the TV remote to change the TV volume.

not sure why amazon or ouya would not include amplification. maybe it's easier to deal with customers complaining "bbbbbut... there's no volume setting" than it is to deal with complaints about crappy sound in the case the the amp software broke or somehow got messed up or they turned up the volume too high or certain media confused it too much,......

all that said, my KFTV is hooked directly to my TV. which has crap speakers and probably a crappy DAC. lolol.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarvoke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke

this topic has come up before.

all that said, my KFTV is hooked directly to my TV. which has crap speakers and probably a crappy DAC. lolol.

Ok thank you for explaining how it works. So do you use the volume amplification on kftv?

I dont use the amplification cause i was afraid it would distort the sound but you say thats what all other devices do to control the volume. So maybe i will start using it.

7th July 2014, 01:55 PM   |  #7  
Flag Slightly Outside America
Thanks Meter: 23

101 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerJoeBR

Ok thank you for explaining how it works. So do you use the volume amplification on kftv?

I dont use the amplification cause i was afraid it would distort the sound but you say thats what all other devices do to control the volume. So maybe i will start using it.

I haven't tried it, not because I worry it would distort the sound, I'm sure it's a fine app.

the only reason I don't use it because I'm happy to use the volume button on the TV's own remote (plus I almost never need to change the volume anyway)

for people that mostly use xbmc, I can definitely understand they would want volume control. I only use plex now, but if I used xbmc I would try this app.

(((
and, again, with the cheap speakers in my TV and the (probably-)cheap analog coder in the TV, it's not as if I have high quality sound anyway
)))
8th November 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtuxen

As said volampdown and volampupcan can be used instead, this will adjust the volume of all Android not just XBMC.

Thanks for this. Does yours pop up every time you adjust the amplification? I would like to hide that pop up slider.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
audio, fire tv
Previous Thread Next Thread