Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,091 Members 53,217 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VPN to improve Netflix like PIA.com on Fire TV possible?

Tip us?

bam099
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default VPN to improve Netflix like PIA.com on Fire TV possible?

Just wanted to see if anyone could help.
I want to test the streaming of my Uverse Netflix connection through my VPN that I have. I use Private Internet Access and they have a simple android app that you just login and click connect. My theory is that I'll get better Netflix quality using the VPN.
I also believe this would solve people's issue of blacked out games through things like MLB.com apps.

I side loaded the android app last night and put in all of my account details but when I click connect nothing happens. I loaded this through the firetv main application and also tried to launch directly from XBMC app that was running. Neither would work.

I'm rooted currently and have updates blocked, not sure if that will help at all. Does anyone know of a way I can use either a proxy or even better get this app to connect?
Current devices: T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 (original), HP Touchpad (running Android), Nexus 4

xtrememc8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I side loaded a few VPN apps on Fire TV but none worked. I had to install the VPN on my router to make it work.

davekaz
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Has anyone had problems with netfix...out of the box I could never connect...unable to...try again error. Ui 104. I rooted before trying to upgrade. And I upgrade to latest firmware 5117........

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

I reset to factory. Still same issue. .I deactivated cleared data and cache. Even amazon video app cleared everything. Everything works except netflix.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

davekaz
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Sorry. Nothing about vpn

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rose Ab
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davekaz View Post
Sorry. Nothing about vpn

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'm afraid, Fire TV OS is not particularly receptive to VPN usage however to enjoy VPN on all of your devices I suggest to flash your current router with DD_WRT firmware.
DD-WRT is a free open source project aimed at developing a Linux based firmware solution that removes the restrictions placed on routers by their default programming. Fortunately, it has the option of selecting different VPN configurations like: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN and Once configured, users on the network donít need to enter a log in process when they need to activate the VPN. It just starts automatically, so any device connects automatically and easily, giving you all the benefits of using a reliable VPN service.

bam099
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ab View Post
I'm afraid, Fire TV OS is not particularly receptive to VPN usage however to enjoy VPN on all of your devices I suggest to flash your current router with DD_WRT firmware.
DD-WRT is a free open source project aimed at developing a Linux based firmware solution that removes the restrictions placed on routers by their default programming. Fortunately, it has the option of selecting different VPN configurations like: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN and Once configured, users on the network donít need to enter a log in process when they need to activate the VPN. It just starts automatically, so any device connects automatically and easily, giving you all the benefits of using a reliable VPN service.
I actually tried this and was finally able to get it to work through my router. the problem is that my router is only a 200 megahertz processor so the maximum is about 2 megabits per second which makes Netflix look even worse than normal. Currently on a Linksys WRT54G v2 so I'm taking recommendations on one that can handle PIA.com with full speed.
Current devices: T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 (original), HP Touchpad (running Android), Nexus 4