Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advice on updating rooted FTV without going to 51.1.2.0 to

Tip us?

mcmsignup
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Advice on updating rooted FTV without going to 51.1.2.0 to

I have a FTV that is rooted and still at 51.1.0.1 I want to upgrade to 51.1.1.0_user_511070220, but don't want to risk going to the latest 51.1.2.0 unrootable version. Can I use adb to copy the upgrade to /cache and upgrade locally with the box disconnected from the internet or does it need to call home when I am doing the local upgrade? I can also block the update sites in the router firewall:

amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net
softwareupdates.amazon.com

once this is done, I can re-run towelroot and disable OTA.

Any advise on the best way to proceed is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

dbdoshi
Old
(Last edited by dbdoshi; 25th August 2014 at 01:19 AM.) Reason: Add
Thanks Meter 3
Yes, do the manual upgrade to the latest rootable firmware. Follow the directions on http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manua...mazon-fire-tv/ That is the best way to upgrade without jumping through each upgrade.

It will need internet connection, I removed mine before upgrade and it would not let me proceed and get stuck on the network selection pickup. Maybe after you have pushed the upgrade.zip to your cache and send it a recovery reboot command, you can disconnect the internet. I did not, so not sure if that works.

Before you do anything, make sure you have blocked those 2 sites. Re-verify it before you proceed.

Once you upgrade, immediately disable the FTV upgrade package. I would suggest to keep the blocks on those 2 sites even after you disable the FTV auto upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbdoshi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 244

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi View Post
Yes, do the manual upgrade to the latest rootable firmware. Follow the directions on http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-manua...mazon-fire-tv/ That is the best way to upgrade without jumping through each upgrade.

It will need internet connection, I removed mine before upgrade and it would not let me proceed and get stuck on the network selection pickup. Maybe after you have pushed the upgrade.zip to your cache and send it a recovery reboot command, you can disconnect the internet. I did not, so not sure if that works.

Before you do anything, make sure you have blocked those 2 sites. Re-verify it before you proceed.

Once you upgrade, immediately disable the FTV upgrade package. I would suggest to keep the blocks on those 2 sites even after you disable the FTV auto upgrade.
If you have dcp blocked before doing the update, it should remain blocked after the update.

mcmsignup
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
If you have dcp blocked before doing the update, it should remain blocked after the update.
Thanks, that is good to know and comforting.

dbdoshi
Old
(Last edited by dbdoshi; 25th August 2014 at 06:36 AM.) Reason: Add
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
You are probably right, I am a novice to this. But, I swear to God, I seem to remember not dcp blocking it on a friend's FTV when I upgraded his to the latest rootable firmware and checking the system on FTV did not generate the error or "Checking now..." message (His was blocked before the OTA upgrade). So, to clarify, the block remains for OTA and manual upgrade both?

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 244

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi View Post
You are probably right, I am a novice to this. But, I swear to God, I seem to remember not dcp blocking it on a friend's FTV when I upgraded his to the latest rootable firmware and checking the system on FTV did not generate the error or "Checking now..." message (His was blocked before the OTA upgrade). So, to clarify, the block remains for OTA and manual upgrade both?
The block *should* remain. I can't imagine why it wouldn't. But I haven't really done any extensive testing on it. Doing the OTA and doing the manual upgrade are the same. The manual upgrade is manually doing exactly what the OTA does. The OTA downloads the .bin file, and tells recovery to flash it and reboots to recovery. The problem comes if you get an OTA update to the unrootable firmware. The dcp will remain blocked, but you won't be able to gain root anymore.

mcmsignup
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I updated the box to 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 last night. No problems at all. I used this process to update the box:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2796067

I used ftp to binary transfer the update file to /cache/update.zip and I set r/w permissions on this file.
the /cache/recovery folder did not exist (needed in tutorial above) so I created it and did a chmod 777 /cache/recovery

Once the update completed, I re-rooted the box - towelroot, Let it rain button.
I forgot to check if the dcp package was still disabled. I ssh'ed to the box and disabled it just to make sure.
I also had to run busybox to re-install it.

I was using the install-recovery-2.sh trick to mount my usb stick, so I lost this and had to recreate /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh (set execute permission on it and add the line:

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda1 /data/sdext2

install-recovery-2.sh is a non-existent file that is called in the last line of install-recovery.sh. This is executed during the boot process and can be used to execute commands when booting. To take advantage of this, create the install-recovery-2.sh file and add the lines you want executed. you have to set execute permission on the file.

su
mount -o rw,remount /system
create and add commands to /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh
( I added: mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda1 /data/sdext2 (where /data/sdext2 is where I want my flash drive to show up)
chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery-2.sh
mount -o ro,remount /system
exit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcmsignup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

retroben
Old
(Last edited by retroben; 29th August 2014 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Can this be used to exploit much more interesting commands?

Such as making a backdoor for rooting the unrootable OTA update and even unlocking the bootloader/Custom ROM?

Edit:What about overclocking by permanently modifying the related files to set GPU to minimum 400Mhz and maximum 500Mhz and overclocking the CPUs to a maximum of 1.9Ghz or 2.0Ghz?

If it can be used to overclock,please elaborate on how you can do it?

I posted the directory of the related files in a topic a while back.

rbox
Old
Thanks Meter 244

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroben View Post
Can this be used to exploit much more interesting commands?

Such as making a backdoor for rooting the unrootable OTA update and even unlocking the bootloader/Custom ROM?
So that is a good idea, but unfortunately the first thing that happens when you install the OTA is it wipes /system. But once you have root, anything you could put in that script, you could manually run as root, so it can't let you do anything extra.

As for custom roms, the good news is that the OS on the Fire TV is pretty much stock CAF android. The kernel can boot AOSP/CM as is. And using a similar but different script earlier in the boot process, I'm able to get Safestrap working. I currently have Clockwork mod working, but Safestrap uses TWRP and as of yet I have been unable to get TWRP to display anything on the TV. I'm going to try to work on it some more this weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rayosx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
So that is a good idea, but unfortunately the first thing that happens when you install the OTA is it wipes /system. But once you have root, anything you could put in that script, you could manually run as root, so it can't let you do anything extra.

As for custom roms, the good news is that the OS on the Fire TV is pretty much stock CAF android. The kernel can boot AOSP/CM as is. And using a similar but different script earlier in the boot process, I'm able to get Safestrap working. I currently have Clockwork mod working, but Safestrap uses TWRP and as of yet I have been unable to get TWRP to display anything on the TV. I'm going to try to work on it some more this weekend.
Rbox,
Sounds very interesting. Keep the good work.