I did something worng! Help!

Search This thread

apazrjon

Aug 27, 2013
I have the firetv rooted with xposed running and the xbmc launcher running. I tried to upgrade to beta xbmc 14 nightly but it did not work. So I then tried to uninstall xbmc fully with adb. Now my firetv will boot to the firetv animation screen and then go to black screen with the error: Acitivy org.xbmc.xbmc splash screen not found. I have tried to reinstall xbmc 13.1 for adb but it will not go thru. I've tried killing xbmclauncher (se.blunden.xbmclauncher.apk) with no luck. Tried to uninstall Xposed with no luck. I can connect to my firetv thru adb and can create a su adb shell, but can't get anything to work through adb. Please help this fool!

Vylle

Jun 19, 2010
Kingston
I have the firetv rooted with xposed running and the xbmc launcher running. I tried to upgrade to beta xbmc 14 nightly but it did not work. So I then tried to uninstall xbmc fully with adb. Now my firetv will boot to the firetv animation screen and then go to black screen with the error: Acitivy org.xbmc.xbmc splash screen not found. I have tried to reinstall xbmc 13.1 for adb but it will not go thru. I've tried killing xbmclauncher (se.blunden.xbmclauncher.apk) with no luck. Tried to uninstall Xposed with no luck. I can connect to my firetv thru adb and can create a su adb shell, but can't get anything to work through adb. Please help this fool!

i recommend a factory reset

Smithy71

Jul 5, 2014
If you have got to the point of desperation and no other help is forthcoming. I ran through this guide when I had an issue and it restored my AFTV.

It won't let me post the link. So have a look on firetvnews .com and you should see a way to restore the AFTV. Or read below, I just copied it:

If you’ve managed to brick your Fire TV or for whatever reason are unable to get to the settings menu to perform a factory reset, here is how to enter recovery mode without fully booting into the Fire TV’s operating system.

To do this you will need a USB keyboard with a “Print Screen” or “SysRq” key. Mac keyboards generally do not have this key so will not work. Before you get started, plug the USB keyboard into the Fire TV and unplug the Fire TV’s power. Now plug the power in and while the Fire TV is booting, you need to press the following 3 keys simultaneously: Alt + Print Screen + i

Pressing those 3 keys sends a “kill all tasks” command to the Fire TV. If you kill all tasks during boot up enough times, the Fire TV will enter Recovery Mode. So after pressing Alt + Print Screen + i, the Fire TV will flicker and restart the boot up process. While it’s trying to boot up a second time, press Alt + Print Screen + i again. Repeat this process several times until the Fire TV displays the message “The System Update was not successful.” When you see this message, you are now in Recovery Mode.

If you are having trouble getting into Recovery Mode, a good time to press Alt + Print Screen + i is as soon as you see the colorful boot animation. Pressing Alt + Print Screen + i should cause the screen to go black and the boot animation to restart. Press Alt + Print Screen + i every time the boot animation restarts. After 4 or 5 restarts, you should see a white Amazon logo followed by the “Update was not successful” screen. You can also try holding Alt + Print Screen + i through out the entire initial boot up process.

Once on the “Update was not successful” screen, press the Home key on your keyboard. This should bring up a menu in the upper left corner. Use the arrow keys to highlight the factory reset option and hit enter.

Reactions: onski

apazrjon

Aug 27, 2013
Yeah I've seen that factory reset method. I am almost at that point! I have a wireless k400, but it doesn't seem to work. I just need to get my hands on a wired keyboard. I was hoping there may be some better adb commands to accomplish removing xposed and xbmc launcher, but I guess probably not. Time to get a wired keyboard! Thanks for the quick responses! Cheers!

userr12

Apr 19, 2007
Rotterdam
Yeah I've seen that factory reset method. I am almost at that point! I have a wireless k400, but it doesn't seem to work. I just need to get my hands on a wired keyboard. I was hoping there may be some better adb commands to accomplish removing xposed and xbmc launcher, but I guess probably not. Time to get a wired keyboard! Thanks for the quick responses! Cheers!

I would use command "adb shell pm list packages -f" that way you can see what apps are installed on the Fire TV and exact package name.....
Next uninstall with "adb uninstall com.amazon.app.name" (no directory or .apk specification needed)

I was playing with some Xposed mods yesterday and locked the fire TV up as well, uninstalling mod fixed it. (Xposed Additions Module)

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
I was hoping there may be some better adb commands to accomplish removing xposed and xbmc launcher, but I guess probably not. Time to get a wired keyboard! Thanks for the quick responses! Cheers!

Only thing I can think of is to try an adb install of xbmc with the -r flag set, then an uninstall of Xposed before uninstalling XBMC. The -r should force a reinstall and get you back to a useable interface but otherwise, yep, sounds like a reset'll be required.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Only thing I can think of is to try an adb install of xbmc with the -r flag set, then an uninstall of Xposed before uninstalling XBMC. The -r should force a reinstall and get you back to a useable interface but otherwise, yep, sounds like a reset'll be required.

If adb is working, adb reboot recovery should get you into recovery so you can do the factory reset.

apazrjon

Aug 27, 2013
reboot recovery does get me into the update download page but no buttons on my remote or my wireless k400 seem to get me to recovery for factory reset. Any thoughts?

apazrjon

Aug 27, 2013
trying that next. It seems that adb will only work right after I reboot for some reason. Going to try again right now.

apazrjon

Aug 27, 2013
Just went ahead and got a $10 usb keyboard from walmart. Still couldn't get the home button to work for getting my into recovery. Then i decided to press shift + home and it worked. I don't know if it was the key combo or just good timing with the home button. Who knows. Back to factory now! Time to rebuild. Everything was set up perfect! Just couldn't leave well enough alone, lol! Thanks for all the help. My adb would only work for one time at a time and wouldn't uninstal anything. Cheers!

Reactions: KillerJoeBR

toe-rag

Feb 28, 2012
West Hartford
deleted content ..

sorry ., didn't notice I would have been duplicating what others already posted ....

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
If adb is working, adb reboot recovery should get you into recovery so you can do the factory reset.

Sorry, meant "only command flag in ADB you might try before going for a full restore"

I thought the OPs core problem was that xposed was telling his system to use a nonexistent app as the launcher, and he wasn't able to get the app back in even for long enough to uninstall Xposed, reboot, and then uninstall XBMC.

MarkBP

Jun 23, 2014
Once on the “Update was not successful” screen, press the Home key on your keyboard. This should bring up a menu in the upper left corner. Use the arrow keys to highlight the factory reset option and hit enter.

I've got a gray screen and can't get rid of it. I'm rooted and have elmerohueso's Launcher installed. All has been working perfect until the other night when I got a "low memory" pop up with a request to uninstall some apps. After that, the screen grayed and that was that. I've gotten to the“Update was not successful” screen but cannot get the menu to show up. I'm using a usb keyboard and have tried home, shift + home, and every other combo I can think of but the menu will not show up.
Anyone have another suggestion?

{ParanoiA}

Apr 20, 2011
Ocean View, NJ
When you are on the update unsuccessful screen, press alt + sys rq + i to reboot back to the update screen again and then press home to bring up recovery menu. That's what I did on my keyboard

Reactions: MarkBP

roy0175

Sep 7, 2012
If you have got to the point of desperation and no other help is forthcoming. I ran through this guide when I had an issue and it restored my AFTV.

It won't let me post the link. So have a look on firetvnews .com and you should see a way to restore the AFTV. Or read below, I just copied it:

If you’ve managed to brick your Fire TV or for whatever reason are unable to get to the settings menu to perform a factory reset, here is how to enter recovery mode without fully booting into the Fire TV’s operating system.

To do this you will need a USB keyboard with a “Print Screen” or “SysRq” key. Mac keyboards generally do not have this key so will not work. Before you get started, plug the USB keyboard into the Fire TV and unplug the Fire TV’s power. Now plug the power in and while the Fire TV is booting, you need to press the following 3 keys simultaneously: Alt + Print Screen + i

Pressing those 3 keys sends a “kill all tasks” command to the Fire TV. If you kill all tasks during boot up enough times, the Fire TV will enter Recovery Mode. So after pressing Alt + Print Screen + i, the Fire TV will flicker and restart the boot up process. While it’s trying to boot up a second time, press Alt + Print Screen + i again. Repeat this process several times until the Fire TV displays the message “The System Update was not successful.” When you see this message, you are now in Recovery Mode.

If you are having trouble getting into Recovery Mode, a good time to press Alt + Print Screen + i is as soon as you see the colorful boot animation. Pressing Alt + Print Screen + i should cause the screen to go black and the boot animation to restart. Press Alt + Print Screen + i every time the boot animation restarts. After 4 or 5 restarts, you should see a white Amazon logo followed by the “Update was not successful” screen. You can also try holding Alt + Print Screen + i through out the entire initial boot up process.

how to connect usb keyboard same time usb power? fire tv have no usb port

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just went ahead and got a $10 usb keyboard from walmart. Still couldn't get the home button to work for getting my into recovery. Then i decided to press shift + home and it worked. I don't know if it was the key combo or just good timing with the home button. Who knows. Back to factory now! Time to rebuild. Everything was set up perfect! Just couldn't leave well enough alone, lol! Thanks for all the help. My adb would only work for one time at a time and wouldn't uninstal anything. Cheers!
    When you are on the update unsuccessful screen, press alt + sys rq + i to reboot back to the update screen again and then press home to bring up recovery menu. That's what I did on my keyboard