Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,465 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Firefox 2.0 and Geeksphone Revolution

Tip us?

TheEternalAbyss
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Firefox 2.0 and Geeksphone Revolution

Hello,

I've searched around the forum and haven't seen anything related to this, so I thought I'd create a thread and ask in case anyone knew.

I was interested in purchasing the Geeksphone Revolution and was wondering if a Firefox 2.0 build existed for it? I see there is a a 2.0 build for the Peak and Keon, but those are not available for purchase. So would I be stuck on 1.3 if I got the Geeksphone or would someone have a build that could be loaded onto the Geeksphone Revolution?

Thanks in advance for any info

hackint0sh
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalAbyss View Post
Hello,

I've searched around the forum and haven't seen anything related to this, so I thought I'd create a thread and ask in case anyone knew.

I was interested in purchasing the Geeksphone Revolution and was wondering if a Firefox 2.0 build existed for it? I see there is a a 2.0 build for the Peak and Keon, but those are not available for purchase. So would I be stuck on 1.3 if I got the Geeksphone or would someone have a build that could be loaded onto the Geeksphone Revolution?

Thanks in advance for any info

Hi,

to be honestly - I hate the developers of the Geeksphone. For several reasons:

1. The Android Project is just ****ed up - no USB drivers for PC / MAC (really, you have to put out the SD to copy data!)
2. in the beginning the battery had huge drainage - it just held not even a day (after some updates it's okay and useable!)
3. There are no updates since more than a month. In the beginning there were plenty updates for both systems - every week for android! Now I think they stopped the support.. don't know why
4. Firefox OS has plenty bugs, too - that's why no one uses it. No apps is not a bug - but the hardware keys always shine (that's a battery drainer without purpose - I mean under Android they go off after not touching them. Under FFOS they always stress me). Also other smaller bugs..
5. The most interesting feature - Dual boot - there is no actual dual boot (and never will be) - you can only use and flash 1 OS. Android or FireFox os.. or other os. =>
6. Other OS ? There are no other os! I am really sad that I bought a phone with the ability to flash other OS and there are no! You simply can use 2 buggy OS, none of them are really special or work perfectly.
7. The screen resolution of the phone isn't really nice and bright. I can't understand how they did this. Not even 720p. You can count the pixels in nearly every app..
8. No new updates any more ?! Mhh, don't know but no support from Hackers, no support from Geeksphone themselves - no Android, no FFOS updates (okay they said they would release FFOS 2.0 - but I believe there are still like no APPS in the store, probably other bugs, too but didn't test it).. and no OTHER OS! Okay, you have the ability but if no one releases one - that's a pity!
9. No accessories - you can get a pouch for this phone, but no better batteries, no other things.. I didn't even found replacement screen or something (don't need one, just in case)..

To be honestly - simply get another phone. Maybe Jollaphone, or Fairphone (which may get open webos support or firefox or others as well), or wait for Neo900 (Nokia N900 case with better hardware) or something else.

If you are fine with all those problems and bugs - then go ahead and buy one.

I'm just an honest user.. currently I use my HP Pre 3, Huawei Mate, Galaxy Camera as everyday devices, the Geeksphone more or less for spair and for music outside or something..

Greetz from Germany!
the real hackint0sh!

sold devices:
Nokia E7-00, Xperia Play, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Nexus, ASUS TRansformer 80B, XDA IIi, Asus P525, nearly all Nokias on the market
current devices:
Nokia N9, Galaxy Nexus, Dell Venue Pro.

TheEternalAbyss
Old
(Last edited by TheEternalAbyss; 25th July 2014 at 07:55 PM.) Reason: fixed typo
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackint0sh View Post
Hi,

to be honestly - I hate the developers of the Geeksphone. For several reasons:

1. The Android Project is just ****ed up - no USB drivers for PC / MAC (really, you have to put out the SD to copy data!)
2. in the beginning the battery had huge drainage - it just held not even a day (after some updates it's okay and useable!)
3. There are no updates since more than a month. In the beginning there were plenty updates for both systems - every week for android! Now I think they stopped the support.. don't know why
4. Firefox OS has plenty bugs, too - that's why no one uses it. No apps is not a bug - but the hardware keys always shine (that's a battery drainer without purpose - I mean under Android they go off after not touching them. Under FFOS they always stress me). Also other smaller bugs..
5. The most interesting feature - Dual boot - there is no actual dual boot (and never will be) - you can only use and flash 1 OS. Android or FireFox os.. or other os. =>
6. Other OS ? There are no other os! I am really sad that I bought a phone with the ability to flash other OS and there are no! You simply can use 2 buggy OS, none of them are really special or work perfectly.
7. The screen resolution of the phone isn't really nice and bright. I can't understand how they did this. Not even 720p. You can count the pixels in nearly every app..
8. No new updates any more ?! Mhh, don't know but no support from Hackers, no support from Geeksphone themselves - no Android, no FFOS updates (okay they said they would release FFOS 2.0 - but I believe there are still like no APPS in the store, probably other bugs, too but didn't test it).. and no OTHER OS! Okay, you have the ability but if no one releases one - that's a pity!
9. No accessories - you can get a pouch for this phone, but no better batteries, no other things.. I didn't even found replacement screen or something (don't need one, just in case)..

To be honestly - simply get another phone. Maybe Jollaphone, or Fairphone (which may get open webos support or firefox or others as well), or wait for Neo900 (Nokia N900 case with better hardware) or something else.

If you are fine with all those problems and bugs - then go ahead and buy one.

I'm just an honest user.. currently I use my HP Pre 3, Huawei Mate, Galaxy Camera as everyday devices, the Geeksphone more or less for spair and for music outside or something..

Greetz from Germany!
Greetz from USA

Wow, everything that you said is quite interesting. I honestly don't care too much if there are bugs since Android has always had issues (and I'm talking official releases. That's why there are so many updates and each device can't guarantee it works because between Android changes, and hardware manufacturers customizations...it's a giant mess). I currently have a Open ZTE with a prerelease of FFOS 1.3 so like I said, a few bugs isn't a big deal.

No usb drivers is just plain silly though. Seriously that's pretty dumb :\

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll check them out

I hadn't heard of Sailfish OS either. looks very interesting. I really am interested in FireFox OS though and I'd love to keep using it and watch it mature It really has great potential. That's why I thought it woul dbe nice to have something that allows me to switch between OS. I'm happy to consider other alternatives, so please anyone, keep the suggestions coming

LinuxHolic
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackint0sh View Post
Hi,

That's why i use Linux

nasyek
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Geeksphone forum is start 18 August.
Tags
firefox os, geeksphone, geeksphone revolution, revolution