Remove Ok google(Not just the text)

Search This thread

djscrew

Sep 27, 2007
I'm not a fan of google feeling the need to listen to everything I say. I did search for this, but all I'm coming up with is people wanting to disable the "Ok google" text on the screen. I'd like to disable to feature all together, but it doesn't seem there is an option anywhere. Am I missing something or do you need a custom rom to get rid of this crap? Thanks guys!

Milimbar

Jul 19, 2011
I'm not a fan of google feeling the need to listen to everything I say. I did search for this, but all I'm coming up with is people wanting to disable the "Ok google" text on the screen. I'd like to disable to feature all together, but it doesn't seem there is an option anywhere. Am I missing something or do you need a custom rom to get rid of this crap? Thanks guys!

I do not know if there is anyone who would have done this... the "OK Google" is the core part of android wear...... If you do not like that feature, you may be better off with a different wearable.
I am not trying to be rude, just can not understand why you need to remove almost all functionality of your watch.

lparcshinoda

Apr 23, 2011
Terracina (LT)
www.arcweb.it
I do not know if there is anyone who would have done this... the "OK Google" is the core part of android wear...... If you do not like that feature, you may be better off with a different wearable.
I am not trying to be rude, just can not understand why you need to remove almost all functionality of your watch.

Actually he made an interesting question, indeed. The voice recognition of the "OK GOOGLE" hotword isn't fully used by everyone (as with on phone) so disabling that should spare some battery juice.

djscrew

Sep 27, 2007

I can understand where the feauture may be useful, but I myself don't feel it's necessary to have google listening to me at all times. I wouldn't quite say that is "almost all the functionality" of the watch. Why can't I activate the menu an then begin speaking rather than it just listening at all times?

Actually he made an interesting question, indeed. The voice recognition of the "OK GOOGLE" hotword isn't fully used by everyone (as with on phone) so disabling that should spare some battery juice.

That's a good point too. I'm sure that "feature" is draining my battery.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
I think the OP has a valid point. Personally I don't care if Google hears me. However, I would be okay if I could just tap the screen to give a voice command instead of saying okay Google. Everyone looks at me funny when I say that part. Probably save a little time too.

Also, I wish I could just tap on the watch to have it input voice to text on my phone when I'm in a text field. I like to use Swype, but hate there voice to text option when I want to use it.

Milimbar

Jul 19, 2011
I can see how having the option to turn off always listening would be good for some people, i thought he wanted to remove ALL of the google now functions.

Maybe someone will come up with a mod for it soon.

Petarsson

Oct 22, 2010
I'm fed up of this "OK GOOGLE" Logo everytime, Hope they will give us an option to remove the word in next update.!

just use it a couple of times, then the text will no longer be shown...so, just say "ok google" to activate the search (i think about 5 times necessary, correct me, if i am wrong), then you will no longer see the text when waking up your watch...

bagster

Sep 22, 2010
I'm interested in partially deactivating the "ok google" feature too, as I my main language is french and ok google works only about 20% of the time for me :(

Em Ka

May 4, 2015
no solution yet?!

worst thing with the Hotword detection is, that it's too often wrong with the detection and starts recording .. it's like you have a bug on your wrist
for me, it records about 10 times a day without me saying "ok google"...
but check it yourself: history.google(.com)/history/audio (remove the () , i cant post links because of new member)

worst function ever. so anybody knows how to delete this ****ed up function?! :(

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
These devices were made with the hotword detection specifically in mind, I believe that the battery use should be negligible. I personally haven't noticed any battery problems coming from the Android Wear app or the Google app (on watch, through the battery statistics.) most of my battery problems were from watchfaces still using the 4.4w APIs and badly coded applications.

That said, because they were made specifically with hotword detection and Google Now in mind, it cannot be disabled without someone possibly making a custom ROM to turn it off, however no one has made a true custom ROM for wear yet (I'm not even sure they can honestly.)

Last edited:

djscrew

Sep 27, 2007
What I ended up doing is going into the Google account options on the phone. Under search - voice there is an option for "OK Google detection" doing this seemed to completely disable it. I don't understand how people are comfortable having an open mic with them at all times. Just because you "have nothing to hide" doesn't mean something should always be listening.

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
What I ended up doing is going into the Google account options on the phone. Under search - voice there is an option for "OK Google detection" doing this seemed to completely disable it. I don't understand how people are comfortable having an open mic with them at all times. Just because you "have nothing to hide" doesn't mean something should always be listening.

It may always be listening, but it isn't always recording. The Ok, Google hotword detection only records the first second before and after you say Ok, Google. It's not always sending things over to Google. Just because you have things to hide, doesn't mean you should be paranoid about it :p

AzureV

Apr 21, 2011
The google services have indeed plagued many phones for their background services, alarms, and receivers.

What I cannot understand is how the 'Ok Google' still works even when I have switched my watch to Airplane Mode.

Not everyone buys an Android Wear to enjoy the google services. Some, including me, like only the Wear Faces. One watch, many wear faces, saves the money to 'collect' many different watches just for the sake of keeping up a lifestyle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm fed up of this "OK GOOGLE" Logo everytime, Hope they will give us an option to remove the word in next update.!

just use it a couple of times, then the text will no longer be shown...so, just say "ok google" to activate the search (i think about 5 times necessary, correct me, if i am wrong), then you will no longer see the text when waking up your watch...