Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,290 Members 46,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Watch command to turn on screen on phone?

Tip us?

esoh
Old
(Last edited by esoh; 11th July 2014 at 07:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default [Q] Watch command to turn on screen on phone?

I was able to use the watch today while driving and it was great. Nice to switch apps and send texts, navigate, send myself notes, etc.

Quick question. So if my phone screen is off and sitting in cradle, is there a watch command that I can "say" to turn the screen on my phone?

Thanks.

Foggy79
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoh View Post
I was able to use the watch today while driving and it was great. Nice to switch apps and send texts, navigate, send myself notes, etc.

Quick question. So if my screen is off and sitting in cradle, is there a watch command that I can "say" to turn the screen on my phone?

Thanks.
No, you have to tap the screen, or move the watch in a position like if you were gona talk to it. Wich is good, otherwise everyone would be able to start talking to your watch

Nexus 5 - 16GB Black - Paranoid Android - Franco Kernel
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - 32GB - WiFi - Paranoid Android - Franco Kernel
LG G Watch

Please use the "Thanks" button if you find my post informative
<----------------------------------

coolsilver
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy79 View Post
No, you have to tap the screen, or move the watch in a position like if you were gona talk to it. Wich is good, otherwise everyone would be able to start talking to your watch
I think the question was in regards to controlling the phone via the watch commands.

I haven't seen anyway to turn the phone screen on by a watch command. Everything I've told to open on phone will keep the screen off but load it in the background for when you turn it on. My guess is so you don't tap something you don't want pulling it out of your pocket.

spiderflash
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoh View Post

Quick question. So if my phone screen is off and sitting in cradle, is there a watch command that I can "say" to turn the screen on my phone?

Thanks.
Yes there is a way to do this. But it's a little more complicated. You will need tasker, autovoice and the xposed framework with the google now api module. Look over here and do the same with a tasker task to turn on the screen (secure settings plugin needed). I'm quite sure that's the only way, but you will have to disable ART and install all these apps (5 in total).
Please use the search function or Google before creating an unnecessary thread / post about somthing which has already been answered. Also please read the rules and post in the right forum. Thanks!

My devices:

LG Nexus 5 - Black 16GB - Stock ROM with Root & Xposed - ElementalX Kernel
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - White 64GB - Stock with Root
LG G Watch - Black 4GB - Gohma ROM (modified) & Root

<------- Please click if I helped you

Foggy79
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsilver View Post
I think the question was in regards to controlling the phone via the watch commands.

I haven't seen anyway to turn the phone screen on by a watch command. Everything I've told to open on phone will keep the screen off but load it in the background for when you turn it on. My guess is so you don't tap something you don't want pulling it out of your pocket.
You're right, I misread the question... The only app that opens on the phone and turns on the screen via a watch command here is my navigation from google maps (navigate home, navigate to work).

Nexus 5 - 16GB Black - Paranoid Android - Franco Kernel
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - 32GB - WiFi - Paranoid Android - Franco Kernel
LG G Watch

Please use the "Thanks" button if you find my post informative
<----------------------------------

esoh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderflash View Post
Yes there is a way to do this. But it's a little more complicated. You will need tasker, autovoice and the xposed framework with the google now api module. Look over here and do the same with a tasker task to turn on the screen (secure settings plugin needed). I'm quite sure that's the only way, but you will have to disable ART and install all these apps (5 in total).
Thanks for this, but I was hoping for something a bit more simpler, like "turn screen on."

I have been looking for a way to make suggestions to the Wear team but I haven't been able to find anything. Anyway, I thought that this would be a command that could be useful at some point.