I want to buy a T-Mobile G4. Some questions.

Search This thread

MicroMod777

Recognized Contributor
Are they waiting on the bounty to hit $15k or until they can get a solid app with no errors that they can charge for?

I think it's more about the app.

Well once the paid app comes out, I doubt any of the common xda dev's will come out with anything free anytime soon. Our best hope will probably be one of the dev's from lgviet.com, pingpong root, or the Kingroot dev's to come rescue us! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, how long do you think I'll be waiting until I can root/flash ROMs/etc? I can live without these things for a while, but not forever!

You should never get a phone with the hope of it getting root. It's a bad idea. Root is getting harder and harder to achieve especially with dmverity implemented (Variants of the Note 4 after 9 months still do not have root and most likely never will without a bootloader exploit.) Bootloader exploits are almost non existent. Unfortunately the Tmobile version of this phone has a locked bootloader. You have to also think how long you will have the phone. Are you willing to wait half or more of it's usable life for root?

Get a phone with an unlocked bootloader, then you will never have to worry about it. Get the G4 815 for example or a nexus. I'm running 5.1.1 on my note 3 which would be impossible with a locked bootloader. Unlocked bootloaders will give you a much longer lifespan.
    I am planning on going to the T-Mobile store later today to pick up a new G4, but first I wanted to ask some questions.

First, how long do you think I'll be waiting until I can root/flash ROMs/etc? I can live without these things for a while, but not forever!

Second, are the touchscreen and other issues something that I should seriously consider before getting this phone, or are they not that big of a deal? Are you guys all happy with the battery life?

Touch issues are fixed by the keyboard update. Just be sure to do all the updates available and you should be right as rain there.

Battery life, I get 28+ hours while streaming Spotify through BT speaker for 12 hours, an hour voice calls, as well as a bunch of other goofing around on the device. It's not Note 4 life, but it's far better than any most other phones I've had.

Root/unlock will come, but it could be a while. Honestly, I like the phone well enough stock to not really be all that worried about it. While I'm sure that some devs could make this a bit snappier by debloating it, the stock UI really is pretty snappy and nice.

Camera is also fantastic. Fast action shots come out clear....close up shots have TONS of detail.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I think root will come out by end of summer. If your wanting root soon then don't get the G4. Personally I just suck it up and deal with it.

I've even had horrible dirty bad thoughts of selling my G4 and waking up with a ZenPhone 2 in my hands. Should I pull the trigger? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VWKKEYO/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_7YoIvbGEVV1H6

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

ZenPhone looks nice. I'll bet it's great overall, but I doubt that it'll fully compare to this one in screen quality or camera :)
    Is that rooted? Checked it out...not much development going no over there...have like 1 ROM thread that was started back in March with not much since.
    I'll chill here...looking forward to what does come when this device gets unlocked.

Yea, I'd rather wait too, or maybe I can just have both! Wifey will probably kill me! lol