No registration required

Ace 2 baseband "XXXX" repair

OP dragos281993

21st July 2014, 02:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag IASI
Thanks Meter: 56

262 posts
Hi guys! This thread is for those who want to fix the baseband "XXXX" problem on their Ace 2. You can check your baseband number in "Settings"->"About phone"

If you think it's gonna take too much to do it, just feel free to look for another way to fix your problem, but the way I did it, I didn't have any problems, so it's your decision whether to do it or not.

So let's start:
Charge your battery before this. Use TriangleAway to reset the flashcounter, in case it's increased.

PART 1 (downgrade to GB) (Optional- you could skip to Part 2, but if the problem is still there, then it means the "modemfs" file will work only with this version of GB I uploaded bellow):

1. You have to downgrade to GingerBread, so download this: I8160XXLK6 and extract it.
2. Download Odin: Odin3_v1.83.zip Install your drivers as well, if you don't have them.
3. Turn on USB Debugging mode from "Developer options"
4. Enter "download mode" by long pressing vol down + home + power, then press volume up again when you see the warning screen.
5. Open Odin as admin
6. Connect your phone through the usb cable and wait till the ID:COM section turns yellow.
7. Click on PDA and choose "CODE_GT-I8160XXLK6_CL1211243_REV00_SEC_KEY_LK6_4G.tar.md5" from the extracted archive. For I8160P download this :CODE_GT-I8160P_I8160PXXLK2_CL1211774_REV00_user_SEC_KEY_XL K2_4G and put it at PDA after you extract it.
Click on CSC and choose "CSC_GT-I8160-MULTI-CSC-0XELF1_SEC_KEY_4G.tar.md5". Then click on PIT and choose “GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit”.
“Re-Partition”, “Auto-Reboot” and “F Reset Time” options have to be selected as well. (tick re-partition if you have a 3 files stock GB; don't tick it if you have a one file stock ROM--- these are the rules)
8. Click "Start" and wait till everything is finished.
9. Configure you device, till you get to the main screen.
10. Download flashable supersu update_su.zip and copy it to the external sdcard.
11. Enter recovery mode (vol up + home + power button), and click on "apply update from sdcard" (or something similar) and choose the "update_su" file
12. Reboot and after that, download "Android terminal emulator" from Google Play Store.

PART 2 (repairing the baseband). The "modemfs.img.md5" file was extracted from a GingerBread ROM so I don't know if would work if you tried to put it on a Jelly Bean. That's why I added "Part 1" above:

13. Download this Ace2modemfs.img.md5.zip and extract it.
14. Copy the extracted file ("modemfs.img.md5") to your sdcard (internal)
15. Now open the "Android terminal emulator"
16. Type in what is between the quotes: "su". Click on Grant (Allow, or whatever)
then "dd if=/sdcard/modemfs.img.md5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2".
17. After that, close the terminal and reboot the phone. Go to settings-> about phone and check to see if you still have baseband "XXXX". if you don't, go to recovery mode and make a "wipe data".
After everything is finished use Samsung Kies to update to JellyBean. This way you'll be sure that you get the correct update.

With the exact same steps from above, I managed to fix my baseband. I'm not 100% that it will work for you too, but I'm 95% sure that it will. So follow the steps carefully and you'll be good.

If someone tried only PART 2 and worked on a Jelly Bean, just tell me and I'll delete the first part, which is basically a tutorial for GB downgrade.
Last edited by dragos281993; 1st August 2014 at 11:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragos281993 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

287 posts
I think that you can just install jb rom and after that from recovery the zip file.
The Following User Says Thank You to manthes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 02:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag IASI

262 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthes

I think that you can just install jb rom and after that from recovery the zip file.

What I said above was the method I tried and it worked. I'm sure there are other methods to do that but I haven't tried them cause this one worked for me.
21st July 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 13

117 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos281993

What I said above was the method I tried and it worked. I'm sure there are other methods to do that but I haven't tried them cause this one worked for me.

hi i just got your pm i managed to fix this issue after searching for hours using the modemfs files fluffi444/djmaniac posted. id just like to add that going back to stock isn't 100% necessary. i restored a rom backup i recommend copying only the files you dont have in fluffi444 modemfs when i copied the whole modemfs file i kept getting random drops in reception i noticed a certain .cfg file didnt seem to have the correct permissions. hope this maybe useful to people with this annoying issue.

***Big thanks to fluffi444/djmaniac for providing modemfs files***
21st July 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 296

662 posts
More
Thx for your work, dragos..

I think its good to put al this different ways together in one thread, if you don't mind.

For whom, who needs only the MODEM FS via CWM flashable zip you'll find my post on Android-Hilfe here:
http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-cus...ml#post7835468
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fluffi444 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag IASI

262 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffi444

Thx for your work, dragos..

I think its good to put al this different ways together in one thread, if you don't mind.

For whom, who needs only the MODEM FS via CWM flashable zip you'll find my post on Android-Hilfe here:
http://www.android-hilfe.de/root-cus...ml#post7835468

It's better as a "team", of course. This thread was just one way to solve an issue that it's kinda annoying. So, the more solutions, the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragos281993 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 64

450 posts
How do you got this "xxxx" error? Dont wanna to make same mistake. Thanks
21st July 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag IASI

262 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusko_x

How do you got this "xxxx" error? Dont wanna to make same mistake. Thanks

I think by flashing with Odin a version of Jelly Bean 4.1.2 that wasn't for my phone. I tried to go from MG2 to MF1. I also remember that I managed somehow to format "modemfs" in recovery, so it's one of these two things.
The Following User Says Thank You to dragos281993 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 64

450 posts
Thanks bro.
22nd July 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag IASI

262 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusko_x

Thanks bro.