Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Internal memory usage increases even after linking app to sd through Link2SD

Tip us?

Arus Chandran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Internal memory usage increases even after linking app to sd through Link2SD

Hi,

I have a rooted/Jailbreaked Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i in which I have literally linked all my installed apps to SD. The available internal memory became around 130 MB now. While I install Skype & Instagram, even after linking these apps to SD card, the size of the internal memory decreased and the available free IM is 112 MB. I checked the SDcard EXT2 folder through RootExplorer and all linked apps are present there. But while I check the Root directory- Data/app, I see the same app present there.

Now can anyone please explain, why on earth these apps are present in two locations? Is that the reason my internal space is utilized and reduced?
Every time I install a new app, Link2sd automatically link the apk to SD card. But at the same time, my internal memory is reduced. Am I missing something here ?

Please Help !!

jasliau
Old
Thanks Meter 13
What you did was just linking them, but not moving entire app to your sdcard. I couldn't give you further explanation due to lack of android knowledge. Actually you can move your entire app to sdcard with link2sd but I find some of them unstable after moving.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jasliau For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GermainZ
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5747
Applications' data isn't linked, that's what taking up space.
The Following User Says Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mydrandroid
Old
(Last edited by mydrandroid; 13th April 2013 at 07:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
You can move all the apps to micro SD using link2SD that'll increase your internal memory, but you can't create any link of apps to SD which are already installed in SD card. If you do, the apps will automatically be moved to internal & then they'll link to SD. In that case some apps takes more internal memory. Maybe that's what causing your problem.
So, I'll suggest you to move the apps to SD card one by one & if one can't be moved then link it to SD card, disable auto link to SD & select install location to SD card.

*Edited*

Va x ffcal
The Following User Says Thank You to mydrandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GermainZ
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydrandroid View Post
You can move all the apps to micro SD using link2SD that'll increase your internal memory, but you can't create any link of apps to SD which are already installed in SD card. If you do, the apps will automatically be moved to internal. Maybe that's what causing your problem.
So, I'll suggest you to move the apps to SD card one by one & if one can't be moved then link it to SD card, disable auto link to SD & select install location to SD card.

Va x ffcal
That's wrong, they're moved to internal storage then linked automatically.
The storage info might take a while to update, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mydrandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermainZ View Post
That's wrong, they're moved to internal storage then linked automatically.
The storage info might take a while to update, though.
What's wrong ?? After apps are moved to Internal, yeah then they do get linked to SD. Sorry I didn't mention that
But I didn't say anything wrong, did I ??

Va x ffal

Arus Chandran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you all for the help. Im trying to make the default installation location as SD card.Then move all app to SD. Hope that will increase the internal memory.Isn't it ?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda app-developers app

Arus Chandran
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Not Helping !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydrandroid View Post
You can move all the apps to micro SD using link2SD that'll increase your internal memory, but you can't create any link of apps to SD which are already installed in SD card. If you do, the apps will automatically be moved to internal & then they'll link to SD. In that case it takes more internal memory. Maybe that's what causing your problem.

*Edited*

Va x ffcal

I did a factory reset, installed Link2sd to check available memory. It showed IM used as 30 MB. I moved Google Play to SD card, IM now used is 20 MB.
So, as u said, I installed new app to SD by default. Simultaneously, my IM is also reduced. By the time I installed almost all my required apps to SD, IM used became near to 50 MB.

I am totally confused. Is Link2SD meant for this ?

SKiiZ0
Old
Thanks Meter 7
guys u r wrong!

just link the app you want, doesn't matter if its installed in internal or in the SD card,

if you find that the free internal space decreased instead of increasing (and that happens a lot with Link2SD), just reboot your phone, and you will find that it have been fixed.

-dun forget to press tnx if I helped -
The Following User Says Thank You to SKiiZ0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mydrandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Even if you move the apps 2 sd some of the apps data will stay on internal & that will decrees your internal slowly.

Ok... Let me give you guys some practical example ( try them on your devices )

1. UC browser :
linked 2 sd - takes 10.08 mb of internal
moved 2 sd - takes 4.19 mb of internal

2. XDA Official app :
linked 2 sd - 4.70 mb of internal
moved 2 sd - 1.57mb of internal

Va x ffal

The Following User Says Thank You to mydrandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]