Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,126 Members 42,576 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] cannot use phone as usb drive

Tip us?
 
spitzig
Old
(Last edited by spitzig; 6th July 2014 at 09:55 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Question [Q] cannot use phone as usb drive

Recently updated from WinXP to Windows 7. I am having trouble with the USB drivers for my phone. The phone charges, but my phone does not show it to connect in the pull down menu. I can't use it as a USB drive. I cannot tell that the PC recognizes the phone as being plugged in.

I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled Kies multiple times. I've installed the USB drivers that come with Kies. I've downloaded the drivers and installed them separately(with Kies installed and not-installed). The most recent drivers I found were 1.5.45.

I've tried turning the Debugging off and on.

With WinXP, I often needed to reboot or uninstall Kies to get the program to work. Frustrating, but it worked. Now, it won't.
 
mahithm
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 326
Posts: 911
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzig View Post
Recently updated from WinXP to Windows 7. I am having trouble with the USB drivers for my phone. The phone charges, but my phone does not show it to connect in the pull down menu. I can't use it as a USB drive. I cannot tell that the PC recognizes the phone as being plugged in.

I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled Kies multiple times. I've installed the USB drivers that come with Kies. I've downloaded the drivers and installed them separately(with Kies installed and not-installed). The most recent drivers I found were 1.5.45.

I've tried turning the Debugging off and on.

With WinXP, I often needed to reboot or uninstall Kies to get the program to work. Frustrating, but it worked. Now, it won't.
While connecting your phone to PC, do you see any icon on the taskbar?
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
 
spitzig
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahithm View Post
While connecting your phone to PC, do you see any icon on the taskbar?
No
 
mahithm
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 326
Posts: 911
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzig View Post
No
Try using this app,

USB Mass Storage App for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830

Do post the result. Hope I Helped
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
 
spitzig
Old
(Last edited by spitzig; 6th July 2014 at 11:06 AM.)
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahithm View Post
Try using this app,

USB Mass Storage App for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830

Do post the result. Hope I Helped
I can't connect my phone to my PC, so can't install apps from my PC.

Other USB drives connect to my PC fine.


Well, that got me thinking about the PC, and I reinstalled the VIA USB drivers(as compared to the Samsung ones). It now recognizes my phone. Whether I can get Kies to convert video is another question.
 
mahithm
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 326
Posts: 911
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzig View Post
I can't connect my phone to my PC, so can't install apps from my PC.

Other USB drives connect to my PC fine.
Try using data connection or wifi to download it from phone. You can also use a card reader to copy it.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzig View Post
Well, that got me thinking about the PC, and I reinstalled the VIA USB drivers(as compared to the Samsung ones). It now recognizes my phone. Whether I can get Kies to convert video is another question.
So can you use USB Mass Storage now?
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU
The Following User Says Thank You to mahithm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
spitzig
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahithm View Post
So can you use USB Mass Storage now?
Everything seems to be working fine. I'm trying Freemake to convert the videos, because I had so much trouble with Samsung Kies.
 
mahithm
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 326
Posts: 911
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitzig View Post
Everything seems to be working fine.
Glad to hear you got it working again
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Automate Your Device with Sfen

Changing the profile of yourdevice manually is now long forgotten. Since the advent of Android automation … more

Galaxy Photo Screen Lock Displays a Photo Slideshow on Your Lock Screen

Being the most often looked at part of our devices UI, the lock … more

Boost the LG G3 Speaker and Headphone Volume

It seems like OEMs are stepping up their game, with regards to thequality of their devices sound … more

Forums Added for the HTC Desire 610 and LG G3 US Carrier Variants

We recently added two new sets of forums here on XDA. The first … more