Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Nameless i8260/i8262 kernel

OP foobie-bletch

18th August 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
This particular kernel contains changes to the following:

- binder bugs, i.e. leaks, API misuse
- lowmem killer logic errors
- scheduler, i.e..spurious wakeups, "bouncing cow", fair scoring
- vm subsystem changes to oom killing, google lowmemkiller
- kswapd wasting CPU time no longer occurs
- cpufreq microoptimizations (wakeups, useless computation), interactive governor updated to latest version from msm-kernel for 3.10 Google Wear

Credits:

Kernel forked from work of another xda member. That's documented in github project itself, and revision history.

Changes come from Torvalds tree, msm and common. The kswapd fix comes from a google search. You can look for "contention_wait" yourself to note the source.

hxxps://github.com/sthalik/gcore_kernel

Pull requests and forks welcome. So are quality well-researched bug reports. Feature requests, only if sensible and educated.

-foo
18th August 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobie-bletch

This particular kernel contains changes to the following:

- binder bugs, i.e. leaks, API misuse
- lowmem killer logic errors
- scheduler, i.e..spurious wakeups, "bouncing cow", fair scoring
- vm subsystem changes to oom killing, google lowmemkiller
- kswapd wasting CPU time no longer occurs
- cpufreq microoptimizations (wakeups, useless computation), interactive governor updated to latest version from msm-kernel for 3.10 Google Wear

Credits:

Kernel forked from work of another xda member. That's documented in github project itself, and revision history.

Changes come from Torvalds tree, msm and common. The kswapd fix comes from a google search. You can look for "contention_wait" yourself to note the source.

hxxps://github.com/sthalik/gcore_kernel

Pull requests and forks welcome. So are quality well-researched bug reports. Feature requests, only if sensible and educated.

-foo

Hi there! I would love to try it, how could I?
19th August 2014, 12:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
First post includes a link to the sources. Given an ARM cross-compiler that can build the kernel, it's a matter of repacking initrd and flashing.

Unless you suffer from the kswapd issue, there's little point. Fixes included aren't something you'd notice after using the software briefly.

My intention is to make available the changes. Whether they're given attention or are reviewed at all, doesn't depend on me really.

-foo
The Following User Says Thank You to foobie-bletch For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobie-bletch

First post includes a link to the sources. Given an ARM cross-compiler that can build the kernel, it's a matter of repacking initrd and flashing.

Unless you suffer from the kswapd issue, there's little point. Fixes included aren't something you'd notice after using the software briefly.

My intention is to make available the changes. Whether they're given attention or are reviewed at all, doesn't depend on me really.

-foo

Thanks a lot for your answer, I would love to try it, but i donīt know how to compile a kernel
20th August 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #5  
Flag kerala
Thanks Meter: 19

65 posts
More
Contact Ali filth may be he could help.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd August 2014, 05:55 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Please note, you don't have to fork the repository on github to follow the changes.

If you in fact never compile kernels yourself you're not my intended audience.

Still, getting to know C is always the first step toward any serious Linux/Unix hacking.

Kernel stuff isn't any different than others. There are some rules to follow, but this is true of userland code, too. Documentation often says "don't do this and that". Just like with kernel API.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy Core Original Android Development by ThreadRank