Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,219 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nameless i8260/i8262 kernel

Tip us?

foobie-bletch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Nameless i8260/i8262 kernel

This particular kernel contains changes to the following:

- binder bugs, i.e. leaks, API misuse
- lowmem killer logic errors
- scheduler, i.e..spurious wakeups, "bouncing cow", fair scoring
- vm subsystem changes to oom killing, google lowmemkiller
- kswapd wasting CPU time no longer occurs
- cpufreq microoptimizations (wakeups, useless computation), interactive governor updated to latest version from msm-kernel for 3.10 Google Wear

Credits:

Kernel forked from work of another xda member. That's documented in github project itself, and revision history.

Changes come from Torvalds tree, msm and common. The kswapd fix comes from a google search. You can look for "contention_wait" yourself to note the source.

hxxps://github.com/sthalik/gcore_kernel

Pull requests and forks welcome. So are quality well-researched bug reports. Feature requests, only if sensible and educated.

-foo

Alexxis2233
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobie-bletch View Post
This particular kernel contains changes to the following:

- binder bugs, i.e. leaks, API misuse
- lowmem killer logic errors
- scheduler, i.e..spurious wakeups, "bouncing cow", fair scoring
- vm subsystem changes to oom killing, google lowmemkiller
- kswapd wasting CPU time no longer occurs
- cpufreq microoptimizations (wakeups, useless computation), interactive governor updated to latest version from msm-kernel for 3.10 Google Wear

Credits:

Kernel forked from work of another xda member. That's documented in github project itself, and revision history.

Changes come from Torvalds tree, msm and common. The kswapd fix comes from a google search. You can look for "contention_wait" yourself to note the source.

hxxps://github.com/sthalik/gcore_kernel

Pull requests and forks welcome. So are quality well-researched bug reports. Feature requests, only if sensible and educated.

-foo
Hi there! I would love to try it, how could I?

foobie-bletch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
First post includes a link to the sources. Given an ARM cross-compiler that can build the kernel, it's a matter of repacking initrd and flashing.

Unless you suffer from the kswapd issue, there's little point. Fixes included aren't something you'd notice after using the software briefly.

My intention is to make available the changes. Whether they're given attention or are reviewed at all, doesn't depend on me really.

-foo
The Following User Says Thank You to foobie-bletch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alexxis2233
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobie-bletch View Post
First post includes a link to the sources. Given an ARM cross-compiler that can build the kernel, it's a matter of repacking initrd and flashing.

Unless you suffer from the kswapd issue, there's little point. Fixes included aren't something you'd notice after using the software briefly.

My intention is to make available the changes. Whether they're given attention or are reviewed at all, doesn't depend on me really.

-foo
Thanks a lot for your answer, I would love to try it, but i donīt know how to compile a kernel

sethukrishnan
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Contact Ali filth may be he could help.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

foobie-bletch
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Please note, you don't have to fork the repository on github to follow the changes.

If you in fact never compile kernels yourself you're not my intended audience.

Still, getting to know C is always the first step toward any serious Linux/Unix hacking.

Kernel stuff isn't any different than others. There are some rules to follow, but this is true of userland code, too. Documentation often says "don't do this and that". Just like with kernel API.