Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,275 Members 42,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Galaxy Gear working with Motorola Moto G

Tip us?

stuntdouble
Old
(Last edited by stuntdouble; 12th August 2014 at 10:37 PM.) Reason: more info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 533

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [GUIDE] Galaxy Gear working with Motorola Moto G

Hi all,

After lots of trial and error I've found a way to get the Gear working (with basic functionality) with the Motorola Moto G, so just posting here in case it helps anybody else. There are probably other ways of doing it but this is how I did it. Lots of other methods I've seen gave lots of force crashes and heartache, but finally found a method that works well. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Software version on watch: V700XXUBNC1
I'm on stock Android 4.4.4
It should work with other versions (4.2+)

Phone needs unlocked bootloader.
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a
Phone needs to be rooted or some apk's will fail to install.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/366771-r...n-1-superboot/

Get relevant Gear Manager files here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2573200
Gear Manager stub file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql...anagerStub.apk

-Install gearmanagerstub.apk to /system/app on your Moto G.
-Download Gear Manager 2.1.14062401 apk
-Download Gear Manager 2.1.14052101 then rename the .apk file to .zip
-Open the file in winrar and go to assets/preinstallapks folder.
-Extract the following file: connectionmanager_signed.apk
-Install the file Gear Manager 2.1.14062401 apk on your Moto G
-Install connectionmanager_signed.apk last

-Reset your Galaxy Gear if not already
-Open Gear Manager on your phone
-Go to system>bluetooth turn on bluetooth and pair up watch+phone
-Accept the bluetooth pairing on both devices (it may take a few attempts to have them co-operating)
-Install all the files that your phone asks you to install.
-Try to pair them up (obviously we don't have NFC but just keep trying to connect them and it will succeed)
-Keep trying until it connects and succeeds to finish the setup and the watch works

If you get any lockups then just go into settings>apps>gear1 plugin and force stop then clear data and try again.
Both devices must have a valid bluetooth connection at the same time.

Job done.

N.B. This will only give basic functionality for your device, but at least it works with the Moto G

Working:
Watch faces
Camera picture transfer
Camera video transfer
Calls
Watch Styler (needs separate install)
Pedometer
Contacts
Call log
Can sideload apps
USB debug
Wake-up gesture
Gallery
Media controller volume control with google play music app

Not working:
weather
s-voice
notifications
hidden apps after reboot
Media controller previous/next track, play/pause with google play music app

A couple of pics from the watch:

Phone:
Motorola Moto G ... Tablet: Google Nexus 7 (16gb) ... SmartWatch: Samsung Galaxy Gear
Retired Devices: |Samsung Galaxy W |HTC HD2 |Asus Eee Pad Transformer |HTC Touch HD |O2 Stellar |HTC Hero |XDA Atom Life |XDA 2i

**(TF101 Firmware Changelog)_(Ultimate Transformer Thread)_(Boot Animations Guide)**

JagXK8
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Nice, curious, what made you use files from two gear manager versions? Looking at your screenshot, it looks like your Gear is on android like mine. Does notifications work? I have a Note 3 but with aosp on it and always had a hard time getting notifications to work. I did find a workaround using Notisync and floating notifications. I may try this method if notifications are working natively.

stuntdouble
Old
(Last edited by stuntdouble; 11th August 2014 at 01:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 533

DONATE TO ME
I tried multiple different combos of files to try to get it all installed. I only did this because most of the main newer apk packages wouldn't install properly so I just decided to try older ones and I was suprised it made the thing work well.

Weather and S-Voice won't work though but that seems to be a foregone conclusion. Can always sideload apps to get around a few of these. Native notifications seem to be another thing that's not working.

I'll give the APN manager a go shortly. Although I think it might affect the battery life a fair bit. Notifications from apps already on the gear work fine.

An annoyance is that apps are hidden on the device when you restart it, or when it loses the bluetooth connection. Yet to find out what's causing this, although the apps are still on the gear.

Phone:
Motorola Moto G ... Tablet: Google Nexus 7 (16gb) ... SmartWatch: Samsung Galaxy Gear
Retired Devices: |Samsung Galaxy W |HTC HD2 |Asus Eee Pad Transformer |HTC Touch HD |O2 Stellar |HTC Hero |XDA Atom Life |XDA 2i

**(TF101 Firmware Changelog)_(Ultimate Transformer Thread)_(Boot Animations Guide)**

Cossack101
Old
(Last edited by Cossack101; 11th August 2014 at 07:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
I got it working very simply on my non rooted Moto G
My gear was running null ROM though.
I just installed the gear manager as in the nexus 5 guide and it worked. I used ATN manager and tasgear for notifications.

jason.T
Old
(Last edited by jason.T; 11th August 2014 at 08:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntdouble View Post
Hi all,

After lots of trial and error I've found a way to get the Gear working (with basic functionality) with the Motorola Moto G, so just posting here in case it helps anybody else. There are probably other ways of doing it but this is how I did it. Lots of other methods I've seen gave lots of force crashes and heartache, but finally found a method that works well. Hopefully it will work for you too.

Software version on watch: V700XXUBNC1
I'm on stock Android 4.4.4
It should work with other versions (4.2+)

Phone needs unlocked bootloader.
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a
Phone needs to be rooted or some apk's will fail to install.
http://www.modaco.com/topic/366771-r...n-1-superboot/

Get relevant Gear Manager files here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2573200
Gear Manager stub file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql...anagerStub.apk

-Install gearmanagerstub.apk to /system/app on your Moto G.
-Download Gear Manager 2.1.14062401 then rename the .apk file to .zip
-Open the file in winrar and go to assets/preinstallapks folder.
-Extract the following files:
hostmanager.apk
saccessoryservice_signed.apk
safotaprovider.apk
saftcore_signed.apk
-Download Gear Manager 2.1.14052101 then rename the .apk file to .zip
-Extract the following file:
connectionmanager_signed.apk
-Install each APK on your phone
-Rename the file numbered 2.1.14062401 to .apk then install that on your Moto G
-Reset your Galaxy Gear if not already
-Open Gear Manager on your phone
-Pair them up (obviously we don't have NFC but just keep trying to connect them and it will succeed)

Done.

N.B. This will only give basic functionality for your device, but at least it works with the Moto G

Working:
Watch faces
Camera picture transfer
Camera video transfer
Calls
Watch Styler (needs separate install)
Pedometer
Contacts
Call log
Can sideload apps
USB debug
Wake-up gesture
Gallery

Not working:
weather
s-voice
notifications
hidden apps after reboot
Media controller

A couple of pics from the watch:

I see your on Android? When I was running Android with my LG G3, notifications wouldn't work for me either, I switched to Tizen, had to install the most recent Gear Manager, but now all works except for s-voice and weather...notifications was the biggest thing I wanted and it works perfectly for any app.

I just installed the Gearmanagerstub apk, copied it into system/app and set the permissions, then installed Gearmanager 2.1xxxx apk, installed, fixed permissions and ran it, it asked to reset the gear, I let it, and it installed all the needed applications automatically. Synced the watch and it all works.

stuntdouble
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 533

DONATE TO ME
Can you sideload android apps in Tizen?

Phone:

JagXK8
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.T View Post
I see your on Android? When I was running Android with my LG G3, notifications wouldn't work for me either, I switched to Tizen, had to install the most recent Gear Manager, but now all works except for s-voice and weather...notifications was the biggest thing I wanted and it works perfectly for any app.

I just installed the Gearmanagerstub apk, copied it into system/app and set the permissions, then installed Gearmanager 2.1xxxx apk, installed, fixed permissions and ran it, it asked to reset the gear, I let it, and it installed all the needed applications automatically. Synced the watch and it all works.
I had Tizen but couldn't get notifications to work with an aosp rom. Worked great with TW. Hmmm, i may try what you did and see what happens. All of the guides out there always state to extract the files from gear manager and install each apk one by one but you did yours as if you had a TW phone and it worked.

JagXK8
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.T View Post

Ok i tried what you did but no dice for me. I removed 2 gear manager apks from my eclipse note 3 and did basically everything you said. It just kept saying connecting to gear forever. So i stopped it. Installed each extracted apk from the new gear manager. It connected. I setup my notifications and sent myself a test email. My gear notified me! At this point i'm happy as that was my major thing to have working.

stuntdouble
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 533

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like with Tizen it may work differently then. I've not tried Tizen at all yet. Do you remember which apk file got your notifications to work please JagXK8?

I also forgot to mention the step above that the phone will attempt to install several apks and those need to be accepted and installed. I will change the first post to reflect this so thanks for reminding me.

Just a note to say I tried many, many file combinations before getting this to work on the Moto G, so if not using the exact same files I linked it most likely fail to connect to the watch. I'm sure it will require different files for different phones. If anyone finds a different combination please list the files used.

Phone:

JagXK8
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntdouble View Post
Sounds like with Tizen it may work differently then. I've not tried Tizen at all yet. Do you remember which apk file got your notifications to work please JagXK8?

I also forgot to mention the step above that the phone will attempt to install several apks and those need to be accepted and installed. I will change the first post to reflect this so thanks for reminding me.

Just a note to say I tried many, many file combinations before getting this to work on the Moto G, so if not using the exact same files I linked it most likely fail to connect to the watch. I'm sure it will require different files for different phones. If anyone finds a different combination please list the files used.
I used the gearmanagerstub.apk. Moved it to \system\app and set permissions. Downloaded the latest Gear Manager apk which right now is 2.1.14071502. Installed it but didn't open it. Changed gear manager apk to zip and installed each apk. I had to install Gear2.apk instead of Gear1.apk. Rebooted in recovery and fixed permissions. Opened Gear Manager, set my notifications, then when i enabled more notifications, it took me to security to enable Gear Manager to read notifications (this is already set to on if you have a touchwiz rom). Sent myself a test email and it worked

The Following User Says Thank You to JagXK8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]