[NOT SAFE TO FLASH!]First attempt at porting Android Wear to Galaxy Gear

Search This thread

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at porting Android Wear to the Galaxy Gear! I am not an experienced dev and this was done fairly quickly using null_23 as a base and the Gear Live system dump. This is not at all ready and definitely not ready to flash. If you do decide to flash it, you risk bricking your device. That being said, I am requesting that a more experienced dev check over my work. If it seems in order, then it will be tested, until such a time, test at your own risk.

Link: http://d-h.st/go2

UPDATE: [ONLY FOR BRAVE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN TESTING]: Since I used null_ as the base, the addons are still available, but please do not flash any of them! And use the stock kernel for the time being!

UPDATE 2: It might be a good idea to try using the custom kernel we have available to us. If I can get an updater script from the gear live or other android wear device and look in to modifying the bootclasspath in the preexisting custom kernel that we have.

UPDATE 3: I have figured out how to modify the bootclasspath, will make the modification shortly. I just need an updater script for an android wear device and we may have a booting android wear port.

UPDATE 4: Link to Attempt 2 coming soon. This has a modified updater script that will hopefully set all permissions correctly. This may be all it needs to boot properly. If not, then I may still need some help getting the Gear Live Kernel to modify our kernel's bootclasspath. If anyone would like to flash this, same as before, I can't guarantee anything will work or that your device will work afterward.

Link: AWAttempt2.zip

UPDATE 5: added my slightly modified updater files from fomey's null_ ROM attached at the bottom. fomey, if we get this working, could you package it in to null_ as a second ROM option?

Last edited:

gidi

May 29, 2006
Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at porting Android Wear to the Galaxy Gear! I am not an experienced dev and this was done fairly quickly using null_23 as a base and the Gear Live system dump. This is not at all ready and definitely not ready to flash. If you do decide to flash it, you risk bricking your device. That being said, I am requesting that a more experienced dev check over my work. If it seems in order, then it will be tested, until such a time, test at your own risk.

Dude, you are fast!
I will not try it out right away because i just set up Null 23 and cloudnotifier so that to have notifications on the iPhone.

BTW, is there any chance that it will work with an iPhone. Ala Google Glass, that is.

Reactions: TekGadgt

sandvich123127

Mar 1, 2014
Newington
Hello everyone!

I just tried it out with the installation through TWRP, definitely not working as you said yet, just boot loops. I've been looking around in the zip and I see no problems that were noticeable. Hopefully this port of android wear can happen! :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
I just tried it out with the installation through TWRP, definitely not working as you said yet, just boot loops. I've been looking around in the zip and I see no problems that were noticeable. Hopefully this port of android wear can happen! :D

Thank you for testing so quickly! I'm glad it did not cause any serious issues to your device. I will do some talking with some devs I know and see what I can get worked out. Porting to the 1 will actually be easier than to the 2 or Neo, since there is an android base for the 1, unlike the 2 and Neo which are Tizen only.

Last edited:
Reactions: CadBuRy.VN

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Do you have a change log? If this is based on Null, it's still 4.2, while the wear launcher, if I remember correctly, requires a newer version of Android, probably 4.4. Just curious what your plans are to deal with that. Seems to me the only real options are either editing the wear app or porting 4.4 aosp and hoping the launcher works. Theoretically, the gear live dump could be ported but the major difference between cpus makes it a much more difficult task than people originally hoped. I think the best chance would be if a dev team (ie CM) were to pick up the protect, but there's the downside to a large bounty: there's a lot of people wanting to go it alone for the cash.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
Trust me, I'm not doing this in an attempt to get the bounty. The money doesn't interest me at all. As far as the change log goes, this is the absolute first attempt, so there hasn't been anything changed yet. So again, this was a quick attempt in an effort to get the ball rolling and get the community involved in the development.

Reactions: CadBuRy.VN

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
Trust me, I'm not doing this in an attempt to get the bounty. The money doesn't interest me at all. As far as the change log goes, this is the absolute first attempt, so there hasn't been anything changed yet. So again, this was a quick attempt in an effort to get the ball rolling and get the community involved in the development.

No worries, I didn't think you were. You didn't have the typical billion "Donate please!" links that they would. ;)

But what does first attempt mean? Just null kernel and modules with gear live system folder? I know a little about these things so I'd like to take a look, mostly out of curiosity, so I'd like to know what you've already done, preliminary as it is.

I agree though, we needed some kind of thread started and I agree that it's too early to put anything in the development forum.

Last edited:

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
No worries, I didn't think you were. You didn't have the typical billion "Donate please!" links that they would. ;)

But what does first attempt mean? Just null kernel and modules with gear live system folder? I know a little about these things so I'd like to take a look, mostly out of curiosity, so I'd like to know what you've already done, preliminary as it is.

I agree though, we needed some kind of thread started and I agree that it's too early to put anything in the development forum.

Not just a swapped out system folder. the base of the null_ system folder is still there. I only migrated the things necessary for a standard port. The only issue is that there is no ROM for the gear live yet, so a proper permissions section is not available for me to port from the updater script of the live to the updater script of the galaxy gear. I'm pretty convinced that if someone with a little more knowledge than myself edited the updater script permissions section to set the proper permissions for the new files, that this would at least boot.

gingerdude

Apr 23, 2012
Hi guys, I stumbled across this ebay listing item number 161368138405 . The seller claims he will update your gear to 4.4.2 for £25 + p & p , I have emailed the developer a link to the bounty thread, hopefully he may be able to help.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bunny0007

Jun 14, 2006
Randers
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Its some fake **** i think.
Would like to se a device info screen screenshot.

In the pictures he wirtes "This is not for the watch"

And later on "(1) Watch will become android 4,4,2"

Does he know what he is selling or not?

richlum

Aug 9, 2010
Chiang Rai
When he says "This is not for the watch", I think he means that you are not buying the watch in the picture. That is, you are not buying the physical watch, just the software upgrade.

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
Hi guys, I stumbled across this ebay listing item number 161368138405 . The seller claims he will update your gear to 4.4.2 for £25 + p & p , I have emailed the developer a link to the bounty thread, hopefully he may be able to help.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the listing was ended by the poster because there was an error in the listing. I bet he got scared cause people started to figure him out.

shagmeimbj

Dec 3, 2013
When he says "This is not for the watch", I think he means that you are not buying the watch in the picture. That is, you are not buying the physical watch, just the software upgrade.

So I emailed the seller and he said it was Null Rom but it was 4.4...apparently he was mistaken haha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: lexirodster81
Subject: Details about item: shagmeimbj sent a message about Samsung gear watch SM- V700 unlocking service to android 4.4.2 #161368138405
Sent Date: Jul-16-14 06:37:52 PDT
Dear lexirodster81,

Can you maybe send a screenshot of the 4.4.2 in the settings menu...not saying I don't believe you haha these pics could be from Null rom though which is 4.2.

- shagmeimbj

This was his response...

"Dear shagmeimbj,

Hello

This service is to install the null rom what is 4.4.2

- lexirodster81

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

Respond

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

UPDATE: [ONLY FOR BRAVE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN TESTING]: Since I used null_ as the base, the addons are still available, but please do not flash any of them! And use the stock kernel for the time being!

UPDATE 2: It might be a good idea to try using the custom kernel we have available to us. If I can get an updater script from the gear live or other android wear device and look in to modifying the bootclasspath in the preexisting custom kernel that we have.

UPDATE 3: I have figured out how to modify the bootclasspath, will make the modification shortly. I just need an updater script for an android wear device and we may have a booting android wear port.

UPDATE 4: Link to Attempt 2 coming soon. This has a modified updater script that will hopefully set all permissions correctly. This may be all it needs to boot properly. If not, then I may still need some help getting the Gear Live Kernel to modify our kernel's bootclasspath. If anyone would like to flash this, same as before, I can't guarantee anything will work or that your device will work afterward.

Link: AWAttempt2.zip

UPDATE 5: added my slightly modified updater files from fomey's null_ ROM attached at the bottom. fomey, if we get this working, could you package it in to null_ as a second ROM option?
    Nice start, I actually gave this a whirl last week myself.. I was stuck in a boot loop tho.

I did see the android wear boot logo tho which was nice :p

Going from 4.2.2 to 4.4 is quite the leap.. new kernel would be required most likely.. My kernel compiling experience is not where I would like it to be for such a project. In saying that tho, I'm sure there is someone out there which could lend a hand. If Samsung weren't such hold outs that is..

I may give this another whirl if I free up some more time, Actually debug it properly this time tho :D
    Sorry for not responding, been a bit busy. Still trying to get a kernel dump of the Gear Live to do some comparison. Shouldn't be too ridiculously hard, I've definitely seen things that seemed harder than this done. So if we keep at it, we might be able to get it booting at least.

fomey, can I get your attempt port that got to the bootanimation? I want to do some comparison to my attempt. Also, when you get your gear live, if you could dump the boot.img for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I deleted it shortly after :eek:

Sorry bud.. If I free up some time I will take another stab at it tho and keep you posted.. If you update your OP with your updater-script I'll give it another shot ASAP.

If I grab the gear live I'll definitely send over some dumps.. not sure when that will be tho.
    I'll start working on this as soon as Im out of school for the winter and on the plane home. Hopefully I'll have an alpha by the new year. Don't expect me to maintain it
    Hello everyone!