[NOT SAFE TO FLASH!]First attempt at porting Android Wear to Galaxy Gear

Search This thread

JohnK71

Sep 13, 2014
Lebanon, PA
LG V60 ThinQ
The more I think about it, it may be somewhat easier to take the Android Wear OS parts needed to make the Null_ port work with the new apks. Since the new wear devices don't have speaker/camera and can't place/answer calls on the device. Basically strip down and merge the 2. The more I learn about the new Wear devices, the more I think i'm sticking with the Gear 1 till the next gen wearables. Just don't like the limited direction of the new devices. Maybe the technology just isn't there yet to make the slim device that does it all. :p But I'm all for squeezing every ounce out of the gear 1 before I count it out.

I agree. I just bought a Gear 1 off eBay and I love it. Christmas present to myself. I still haven't went for Tizen update.

haryp2309

Aug 2, 2014
OnePlus 7 Pro
The more I think about it, it may be somewhat easier to take the Android Wear OS parts needed to make the Null_ port work with the new apks. Since the new wear devices don't have speaker/camera and can't place/answer calls on the device. Basically strip down and merge the 2. The more I learn about the new Wear devices, the more I think i'm sticking with the Gear 1 till the next gen wearables. Just don't like the limited direction of the new devices. Maybe the technology just isn't there yet to make the slim device that does it all. [emoji14] But I'm all for squeezing every ounce out of the gear 1 before I count it out.

I agree. I just bought a Gear 1 off eBay and I love it. Christmas present to myself. I still haven't went for Tizen update.
If we port aw, it will work with aosp (and tw) based roms easily

Reactions: JohnK71

TekGadgt

Aug 8, 2012
Source is source. It can be modified and compiled for KK

I get source code "SM-V700_JB_Opensource_Update2.zip" . I tried it in Chrome but somehow it wasn't working. I opened it on Firefox, and it was successful.

That is not full source for the Galaxy Gear. That is only the limited amount of source materials needed for Samsung to comply to Open Source requirements... Most of what we need is not open sourced. This project is still technically doable, but a smarter person than myself is needed to tackle it.

leszakk

Aug 1, 2014
Norfolk, VA
That is not full source for the Galaxy Gear. That is only the limited amount of source materials needed for Samsung to comply to Open Source requirements... Most of what we need is not open sourced. This project is still technically doable, but a smarter person than myself is needed to tackle it.

Its enough source to build a kernel and I have. Correct me if I'm wrong but the kernel I built from source should be complete enough to replace the stock kernel. I will not have a chance to try it till i get back to my gear on the 12th.

Reactions: JagXK8

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at porting Android Wear to the Galaxy Gear! I am not an experienced dev and this was done fairly quickly using null_23 as a base and the Gear Live system dump. This is not at all ready and definitely not ready to flash. If you do decide to flash it, you risk bricking your device. That being said, I am requesting that a more experienced dev check over my work. If it seems in order, then it will be tested, until such a time, test at your own risk.

Link: http://d-h.st/go2

UPDATE: [ONLY FOR BRAVE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN TESTING]: Since I used null_ as the base, the addons are still available, but please do not flash any of them! And use the stock kernel for the time being!

UPDATE 2: It might be a good idea to try using the custom kernel we have available to us. If I can get an updater script from the gear live or other android wear device and look in to modifying the bootclasspath in the preexisting custom kernel that we have.

UPDATE 3: I have figured out how to modify the bootclasspath, will make the modification shortly. I just need an updater script for an android wear device and we may have a booting android wear port.

UPDATE 4: Link to Attempt 2 coming soon. This has a modified updater script that will hopefully set all permissions correctly. This may be all it needs to boot properly. If not, then I may still need some help getting the Gear Live Kernel to modify our kernel's bootclasspath. If anyone would like to flash this, same as before, I can't guarantee anything will work or that your device will work afterward.

Link: AWAttempt2.zip

UPDATE 5: added my slightly modified updater files from fomey's null_ ROM attached at the bottom. fomey, if we get this working, could you package it in to null_ as a second ROM option?
    Nice start, I actually gave this a whirl last week myself.. I was stuck in a boot loop tho.

I did see the android wear boot logo tho which was nice :p

Going from 4.2.2 to 4.4 is quite the leap.. new kernel would be required most likely.. My kernel compiling experience is not where I would like it to be for such a project. In saying that tho, I'm sure there is someone out there which could lend a hand. If Samsung weren't such hold outs that is..

I may give this another whirl if I free up some more time, Actually debug it properly this time tho :D
    Sorry for not responding, been a bit busy. Still trying to get a kernel dump of the Gear Live to do some comparison. Shouldn't be too ridiculously hard, I've definitely seen things that seemed harder than this done. So if we keep at it, we might be able to get it booting at least.

fomey, can I get your attempt port that got to the bootanimation? I want to do some comparison to my attempt. Also, when you get your gear live, if you could dump the boot.img for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I deleted it shortly after :eek:

Sorry bud.. If I free up some time I will take another stab at it tho and keep you posted.. If you update your OP with your updater-script I'll give it another shot ASAP.

If I grab the gear live I'll definitely send over some dumps.. not sure when that will be tho.
    I'll start working on this as soon as Im out of school for the winter and on the plane home. Hopefully I'll have an alpha by the new year. Don't expect me to maintain it
    Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt at porting Android Wear to the Galaxy Gear! I am not an experienced dev and this was done fairly quickly using null_23 as a base and the Gear Live system dump. This is not at all ready and definitely not ready to flash. If you do decide to flash it, you risk bricking your device. That being said, I am requesting that a more experienced dev check over my work. If it seems in order, then it will be tested, until such a time, test at your own risk.

Link: http://d-h.st/go2

I just tried it out with the installation through TWRP, definitely not working as you said yet, just boot loops. I've been looking around in the zip and I see no problems that were noticeable. Hopefully this port of android wear can happen! :D

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app