[Q] Apps on stock Gear?

OP Quarien

13th August 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Hi,

I'm interested in app developement for stock Galaxy Gear 1. However, I searched for SDKs and there were only tools for Gear with Tizen.
My question is: is there any mechanism similar to Sony SmartWatch 2 for creating and installing apps? The only thing I found is that I need to root my watch, and/or instal Tizen or somehow sideload apps. Is that really the only way of creating (installing) apps?
13th August 2014, 02:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cleveland ROCKS!!!
Thanks Meter: 417

1,201 posts
Donate to Me
More
The gear 1 was released with android, and now it's been updated to Tizen. So the Tizen sdk is what you're looking for. Any app development for the gear 1 on android would be outdated.

When the gear 1 was on android, wondershare was a great way of uploading apps and moving files. Now that it's on Tizen, sideloading is the easiest because wondershare doesn't work with Tizen.
17th August 2014, 02:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro

The gear 1 was released with android, and now it's been updated to Tizen. So the Tizen sdk is what you're looking for. Any app development for the gear 1 on android would be outdated.

When the gear 1 was on android, wondershare was a great way of uploading apps and moving files. Now that it's on Tizen, sideloading is the easiest because wondershare doesn't work with Tizen.

So, if I understand you properly - Gear 1 is now working on Tizen, therefore all app development is quite the same as on Gear 2, right? Everything on developer.samsung.com/samsung-gear (sorry for not posting a proper link, I'm new ad XDA) applies also to Gear 1?

This is important to me, because in my job there is an idea to start creating apps on wearables, right now I'm doing something on SmartWatch 2, and we are planning to test other platforms. For some reason we have Samsung Gear 1 so I need to know if I should start a new project with it, or is it pointless. (getting newer versions is an option, but ordering them takes a lot of time...)
18th August 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #4  
Flag Cleveland ROCKS!!!
Thanks Meter: 417

1,201 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarien

So, if I understand you properly - Gear 1 is now working on Tizen, therefore all app development is quite the same as on Gear 2, right? Everything on developer.samsung.com/samsung-gear (sorry for not posting a proper link, I'm new ad XDA) applies also to Gear 1?

This is important to me, because in my job there is an idea to start creating apps on wearables, right now I'm doing something on SmartWatch 2, and we are planning to test other platforms. For some reason we have Samsung Gear 1 so I need to know if I should start a new project with it, or is it pointless. (getting newer versions is an option, but ordering them takes a lot of time...)

Yes gear 1 runs on Tizen. If you check sammobile.com it's reffered to as Android 2.2.1.1 Therefore building for gear 1 will be just like building for gear 2! I'm sure there's minor tweeks needed across the two. You can refer to the Tizen sdk for more info.

There's also "android "wear", and it's new "android studio beta". Which will be the new overall android ide. There's 3 devices to build for on this android wear sdk. The Gear live, the Moto 360, and the G Watch. But this android studio might be the band wagon everyone wants to jump on!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread