Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[DEV]Semi Sucessful custom roms on US Cellular SCH-R960

OP rebel1699

4th August 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma
Thanks Meter: 1,233

1,681 posts
More
Hi! I am rebel1699. I have done work on the S4 i337 (root for 4.4.2). Recently, I bought an SCH-R960 for something to do. After messing with it for a while, I have discovered that custom roms are indeed possible, but with some things that need work. Here is my current configuration

SlimKat 4.4.4
Philz Touch Recovery

As you may know, the touch recoveries do not respond to touch on this model. However, the vol +/- and power for select still work fine. After getting this ironed out, it was time to experiment. I downloaded SlimKat, and made a few modifications. Booted to recovery and made my nandroid. Then, on to wipes and install. Results---

Upon reboot, I was greeted with the "Warranty bit:kernel" on the top of the sceen. I didnt care. Warranty was long gone anyways. But, it booted into SlimKat just fine. Heres where the dev needs to begin. There is NO TOUCH. I even made a flashable of the stock 4.4.2 kernel modules, but still no help. Not unexpected, considering the recoveries do the same. Using my otg, I connected a mouse for navigation. It is indeed the custom kernel. WiFi, bt, and everything else seem to work fine. I cannot test cellular operation as I am not a US Cellular customer. So, there is another issue. I guess it could be possible to flash a correct radio. Not sure.

First things first---We need touch drivers working on this to go any further. We get that, and sky is the limit.
4th August 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 7,536

2,556 posts
Donate to Me
More
You probably have to backported the input drivers for your model

Just pull official kernel sources from samsung open modify the drivers of cm kernel

Sent from my HTC D816w using XDA Free mobile app
4th August 2014, 12:20 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma

1,681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grarak

You probably have to backported the input drivers for your model

Just pull official kernel sources from samsung open modify the drivers of cm kernel

Same as I was thinking. Sound is also out, but I fully expected that to be the case. Pulling the sammy input drivers should also allow for a custom touch recovery to be modified for the device. TWRP 2.7.0.1, preferrably. I will see what I can do over the next few days. Just started using a new laptop, so I have to get the time to sit down and set up a new dev environment. But again, I wont be able to test cellular radio compatibility. I use AT&T, so nno good for that.

Personally, Im buying the i9200 intl for my own use. But ill do what I can to help these US Cellular folks. They have not seen any development at all. Craigslist is littered with this SCH-R960. I understand why.
4th August 2014, 04:00 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

42 posts
More
Why
Why are you saying that the touch recovery's don't work on this model. I flashed philz on mine and used it to gain root. Worked just fine for me!
4th August 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma

1,681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHammer311

Why are you saying that the touch recovery's don't work on this model. I flashed philz on mine and used it to gain root. Worked just fine for me!

Because after flashing both philz touch and twrp 2.7.1.0 meliusltexxx recoveries, touch works on neither. The boot image does not contain the touch input drivers for the SCH-R960. Manual navigation is still operable
5th August 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 7,536

2,556 posts
Donate to Me
More
I guess you only have to enable some options in defconfig

The Following User Says Thank You to Grarak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th August 2014, 07:13 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma

1,681 posts
More
Quote:

Good to hear. I just got a new laltop and have been getting my enviro set back up and going.
7th August 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 4

42 posts
More
Quote:

These options your talking about, are they options to enable touch on these recovery's??
7th August 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma

1,681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHammer311

These options your talking about, are they options to enable touch on these recovery's??

The recoveries, and the roms. All either is lacking are those thing within thier perspective kernels. Roms will still need more work, eg...audio. And as I said, I cannot comment on the celluler end of it since I do not have US Cellular service.

Some of the roms need an edit to thier updater script to install. Others do not. They just have to be checked first. Just edit out anything that call to Format "0". I cant remember the mmcblk #
Last edited by rebel1699; 7th August 2014 at 04:02 PM.
12th August 2014, 11:13 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Any more progress with this? I have a sch-r960 and I would gladly help test roms or do what I can.
Cheers

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread