FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

What replacement for my Mega 6.3?

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By jabab, Junior Member on 1st August 2015, 08:23 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I love my Mega 6.3. I previously had a Note2 (stolen), and when I changed, I loved the bigger, brighter screen. I was never using the stylus anyway so it was a global improvement to me.
My Mega is now getting old. No Samsung lollipop for it, and custom ROM's have often bugs. I'm now looking for a replacement for my Mega but can't find anything approaching.
Of course, I'm looking for an improvement : more power, more ram, better camera.
I'm really not encline to buy a smaller screen, but I'm not interested in QUAD HD either, more pixels meaning more computing power for the display, and then slower device and less battery life with not necessarily a better image, see for example latest iPhone devices with beautiful display and no quad HD.
But I certainly don't want to leave Android.
So what phone?
Galaxy Notes seem too expensive and too small for me. A simple calculation gives, assuming same screen aspect ratio :
6.3" to 6" - - > 10% less screen area
6.3" to 5.7" - - > 18% less screen area
6.3" to 5.5" - - > almost 1/4 less! (24%)
I would love to get some phone with the same outsize but with bigger display i. e. 6.5" meaning smaller bezels, 1920 × 1080 display, Qualcomm 8xx series proc or similar, 3 gigs of ram latest Sony camera, micro SD support, lte+ and more.
By the way, Sony Xperia Z ultra could partially do it, but case is really too big.
Do you have any suggestions?

1st August 2015, 09:11 PM |#2  
Flag Warszawa
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Look at Huawei Mediapad X2... definitely bigger screen and better hardware. Unfortunately till now there is no international version of this unit. But people use Chinese versions...
Last edited by trurl3; 1st August 2015 at 09:13 PM.
2nd August 2015, 09:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Wait for Huawei Mate 8, expected release date is Q4 of 2015.
2nd August 2015, 09:21 AM |#4  
Flag Warszawa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacc

Wait for Huawei Mate 8, expected release date is Q4 of 2015.

Compare the prices...
2nd August 2015, 03:29 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bordeaux
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Mediapad X2 is clearly to big for me.
Mate 8 could be a good competitor
I have no idea of the kirin950 performance. Seems not to be at thé level of Qualcomm's 8xx Series procs..
I've been thinking of nexus6, but max lum ils vert low, and price still quite high.
6th August 2015, 02:57 AM |#6  
San Jose, CA
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Yeah, me too.
I find it's gonna be hard when it's time for me to look for a phone that is comparable to this Mega.
F*** Samsung for not updating this phone. (Although I knew that this Mega would not get up-to-date given Samsung's business tactics.)

I would not get/recommend any Chinese brand phones if you do care about the company's and community's support.
However, I will be watching the upcoming Huawei Nexus. (But I do not have high hope for it to be something desirable personally.)
7th August 2015, 09:05 AM |#7  
Flag Warszawa

More
The size of X2 is not a problem for me - the bigger, the better 😆. If I only could get it locally on my side without importing from China...

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9205 przy użyciu Tapatalka
14th August 2015, 11:58 PM |#8  
Flag Ct
Thanks Meter: 61

More
im looking around but i cant seem to find anything that it going to work with att lte
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread