[Q&A] [DEV][ROM][4.4]Cyanogenmod 11[WIP][ALPHA-2]

Search This thread
Q

QA Bot

Q&A for [DEV][ROM][4.4]Cyanogenmod 11[WIP][ALPHA-2]

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [DEV][ROM][4.4]Cyanogenmod 11[WIP][ALPHA-2]. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy! :)

ZAQQI

Nov 4, 2014
Any way to back to stock rom by CMW?
Or another solution? I have problem with video codecs, every video player crash.

el Azizi

Dec 9, 2014
my android version 4.1.1. how to update into 4.4.4? i have been try to update trough recovery mode, install zip from sdcard, but its failed. i can't update cwm too,,, helpme please,,,,

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
Few CM 11 questions

Hello, I've used my Galaxy Mini for more than 4 years, but I hadn't known, that it could run also another OS than the default one pre-installed by Samsung. But suddenly, I've found CM and this forum about it. I've made some research, but because I'm beginner with CM, I have few questions:

1. In the description on the thread for the CM 11 for Galaxy Mini there is written, that the development is currently in the testing/alpha2 state. There is also a wishlist of missing features. But the there is also written, that the last update was in January, 2014. If I compare it to Androidarmv6 download archive and its GitHub repository, is seems there already are newer versions out. My first question is, if the most recent version of CM 11 for Galaxy Mini is more stable than that 1 year old alpha2 release? Which missing features from that wishlist have been already resolved?

2. And if the CM 11 version is not stable enough for everyday use, which older (but still based on Android 4.x) and more stable CM version would you recommend me to use instead (if any - otherwise I'll install official CM 7.2)?

3. I noticed, that there is already the official alpha release of CM 12 (based on Android 5.x) and also ported as a new branch on GitHub. I also know, that Android 5.x is really hardware-demanding. Will it be still possible to run CM 12 on Galaxy Mini phone? And what about CM 11 or 10? Could you recommend me the most stable and the newest one (see 2nd question), but still working on so low-performance device as Galaxy Mini in default is (384 MB RAM, 600 MHz, ...)? And if not, could you recommend me some web article describing how to make the performance of my phone better in order to run that recommended CM version from my previous two questions (if it is possible somehow)?

4. And finally, I want to ask, if I need to root my device before installation of that recommended CM version. Because in the installation manual from the original Samsung firmware to the official CM 7.2 there is no need to root Galaxy Mini during process and in the installation manual from CM 7.2 to CM 11 too. But in the installation manual from the original Samsung firmware directly to the CM 11 there is rooted phone needed. I don't understand, why I don't need rooted phone for indirect installation, but for direct installation I do. Could you clarify me the installation process?

I hope somebody experienced helps the beginner there (but good programmer and advanced Linux user) with the installation of CM by answering these a little bit complicated questions :)

Venkatesh

Hello, I've used my Galaxy Mini for more than 4 years, but I hadn't known, that it could run also another OS than the default one pre-installed by Samsung. But suddenly, I've found CM and this forum about it. I've made some research, but because I'm beginner with CM, I have few questions:

1. In the description on the thread for the CM 11 for Galaxy Mini there is written, that the development is currently in the testing/alpha2 state. There is also a wishlist of missing features. But the there is also written, that the last update was in January, 2014. If I compare it to Androidarmv6 download archive and its GitHub repository, is seems there already are newer versions out. My first question is, if the most recent version of CM 11 for Galaxy Mini is more stable than that 1 year old alpha2 release? Which missing features from that wishlist have been already resolved?

2. And if the CM 11 version is not stable enough for everyday use, which older (but still based on Android 4.x) and more stable CM version would you recommend me to use instead (if any - otherwise I'll install official CM 7.2)?

3. I noticed, that there is already the official alpha release of CM 12 (based on Android 5.x) and also ported as a new branch on GitHub. I also know, that Android 5.x is really hardware-demanding. Will it be still possible to run CM 12 on Galaxy Mini phone? And what about CM 11 or 10? Could you recommend me the most stable and the newest one (see 2nd question), but still working on so low-performance device as Galaxy Mini in default is (384 MB RAM, 600 MHz, ...)? And if not, could you recommend me some web article describing how to make the performance of my phone better in order to run that recommended CM version from my previous two questions (if it is possible somehow)?

4. And finally, I want to ask, if I need to root my device before installation of that recommended CM version. Because in the installation manual from the original Samsung firmware to the official CM 7.2 there is no need to root Galaxy Mini during process and in the installation manual from CM 7.2 to CM 11 too. But in the installation manual from the original Samsung firmware directly to the CM 11 there is rooted phone needed. I don't understand, why I don't need rooted phone for indirect installation, but for direct installation I do. Could you clarify me the installation process?

I hope somebody experienced helps the beginner there (but good programmer and advanced Linux user) with the installation of CM by answering these a little bit complicated questions :)

Are you sure your device is galaxy mini/pop s5570? There is no "i" at end? If both yes, then go ahead and read my answers.

Answers:
1. The op(member of androidarmv6 group) isn't active. Thats why the thread says alpha. But you can download and install latest tass(galaxy mini) version from androidarmv6 jenkins. And about feature list, everything is fixed from that list, but camera is colorless(black and white type pics). You need tls enabled recovery to flash latest cm11.

2. Cm11 is stable enough for daily usage. But cm11 is resource hungry. I would recommend you to try cm11 and make your own decision about it. Every android version <= 4.2.2 are fully stable and everything works. I use aokp 4.1.2 myself. 4.2.2 is a bit heavy but if you don't use too many apps, you could use it without any problems. Cm9, ics aosp, cm10,slimbean,aokp jb4.1.2 roms are most efficient 4.x roms and less resource hungry. For better results and good performance, you may need to install greenify. See my threads for 4.x roms.

3. Cm12 isn't booting yet. You can follow review.androidarmv6.org for latest changes and progress. Better use aokp 4.1.2 or slimbean or cm10 with greenify and int2ext(to expand internal memory, you need to create 512mb ext4 partition on sdcard).

4. It is not that hard to flash a simple zip. There is a thread here in galaxy mini section which describes how to root galaxy mini. Follow that tutorial. Then flash cwm 5.0.2.8 recovery(search in and download from galaxy mini section) it from stock rom recovery.
Then you are ready to install any galaxy mini roms.

Caution: Don't flash any zips outside galaxy mini section. Our device board name is "tass". So, you'll see tass in filenames and they are for galaxy mini/pop s5570. If you flash wrong zips, you'll end up with bricked phones(a paper weight). So, be careful. Have a happy flashing.
Sent from my GT-S5570 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: aleskva

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
Thank you! And one more question below

Are you sure your device is galaxy mini/pop s5570? There is no "i" at end? If both yes, then go ahead and read my answers.

Caution: Don't flash any zips outside galaxy mini section. Our device board name is "tass". So, you'll see tass in filenames and they are for galaxy mini/pop s5570. If you flash wrong zips, you'll end up with bricked phones(a paper weight). So, be careful.

Sure! Just S5570 without "i" and just Tass! I know it is older mobile phone, but still I don't want little unusable brick :D

But you can download and install latest tass(galaxy mini) version from androidarmv6 jenkins. And about feature list, everything is fixed from that list, but camera is colorless(black and white type pics). You need tls enabled recovery to flash latest cm11.

Is jenkins the download.androidarmv6.com site? Or jenkins.androidarmv6.com? But on the second site I don't see download link, even if I login with my GitHub account. And what is tls enabled recovery? Does it mean using CWM recovery? Or am I wrong?

I would recommend you to try cm11 and make your own decision about it.

I'll try and I'll see ;)

There is a thread here in galaxy mini section which describes how to root galaxy mini. Follow that tutorial.

So I need to root my phone before. I wasn't sure, but now I understand clearly.

Have a happy flashing.

Thank you for your answers to my questions! Actually many thanks! :)

And finally one more question:
I've seen more threads about Galaxy Mini roms in this xda section. And in almost all of them is written, that everything works, just there are problems using camera. It looks like this is a global problem. Is this problem only in CM 11 at the moment and group members only aren't active to cross the camera out from the "Don't work" list on threads for roms, which were resolved? Or is it still global problem? In which roms camera fully work without any caveat? You wrote, that everything in Galaxy Mini section <=4.2.2 is fully stable, so I expect it works there, but better to ask...

Last edited:

Venkatesh

Sure! Just S5570 without "i" and just Tass! I know it is older mobile phone, but still I don't want little unusable brick :D

Is jenkins the download.androidarmv6.com site? Or jenkins.androidarmv6.com? But on the second site I don't see download link, even if I login with my GitHub account. And what is tls enabled recovery? Does it mean using CWM recovery? Or am I wrong?

I'll try and I'll see ;)

I've seen more threads about Galaxy Mini roms in this xda section. And in almost all of them is written, that everything works, just there are problems using camera. It looks like this is a global problem. Is this problem only in CM 11 at the moment and group members only aren't active to cross the camera out from the "Don't work" list on threads for roms, which were resolved? Or is it still global problem? In which roms camera fully work without any caveat? You wrote, that everything in Galaxy Mini section <=4.2.2 is fully stable, so I expect it works there, but better to ask...

Search androidarmv6 jenkins in google.

Camera in cm11 actually works but it uses source built libcamera, not the original samsung libcamera. And it gives a very colorless pics. No, androidarmv6 people are very nice. Just they are busy. And we don't have a skillful developer left.

And yes, every version <= 4.2.2 has got everything working as it should. But the video recording isn't good sometimes(only sometimes, it is not good anyways).

I would recommend you to try my aokp 4.1.2. Partition your sd card, install cronmod int2ext to expand ur internal memory (int2ext only not int2ext+). And install xposed installer + greenify, greenify not so important and ram consuming apps. That's my setup actually.
Good night:)

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015

Camera in cm11 actually works but it uses source built libcamera, not the original samsung libcamera. And it gives a very colorless pics. No, androidarmv6 people are very nice. Just they are busy. And we don't have a skillful developer left.

And yes, every version <= 4.2.2 has got everything working as it should. But the video recording isn't good sometimes(only sometimes, it is not good anyways).

I would recommend you to try my aokp 4.1.2. Partition your sd card, install cronmod int2ext to expand ur internal memory (int2ext only not int2ext+). And install xposed installer + greenify, greenify not so important and ram consuming apps. That's my setup actually.

Okay, I'll try next week and we'll see :D

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
My experiences and impressions

I haven't time before, so today I managed to install a new ROM to my Mini six months after I wrote here. First of all I spent hours of googling and searching, where to download working package to root my phone and where to download cwm 5.0.2.8 for Mini, because all of the packages for rooting haven't been working at all and all of the download links to cwm 5.0.2.8 I've found were dead, except the links and except the packages here. Googling and searching finally helped, so I had my first cwm on my Mini. Then I've checked first three ROMs from the Mini's section. Concretely CM 10, SB 3.1.0 and AOKP JB 4.1.2.

First of all I've tried Slimbean. I was really confused, when I found out, that there is no keyboard inside the installation! What the h*** (sorry, but I really said that when at that moment)? One of my reasons to leave original Gingerbread was that really bad keyboard, which I need to reinstall by some from Google Play every time I had to reset my phone into factory settings (another reason to upgrade btw). And after upgrade again? But Slimbean looked really well, just a few strings weren't translated to my language, so I decided to try AOKP. AOKP hadn't just keyboard, but also gapps, so I needed to google, where to download it from. I've found this and hoped it can't break my newly installed ROM. And there were more strings untranslated to my language, so I decided to try the third one, CM. It was fully translated, but also there weren't gapps and keyboard. And the patch (if it was a patch) - tether patches.zip - couldn't be applied (some error was thrown during its installation).

Finally, I've found gapps for it too. The winner of these three was Slimbean, the loser was AOKP, but I'm going to test more ROMs, until I find some good one. In order to avoid searching the Mini's section another hours: Is there any ROM with preinstalled keyboard (and possibly gapps too)?

Venkatesh

I haven't time before, so today I managed to install a new ROM to my Mini six months after I wrote here. First of all I spent hours of googling and searching, where to download working package to root my phone and where to download cwm 5.0.2.8 for Mini, because all of the packages for rooting haven't been working at all and all of the download links to cwm 5.0.2.8 I've found were dead, except the links and except the packages here. Googling and searching finally helped, so I had my first cwm on my Mini. Then I've checked first three ROMs from the Mini's section. Concretely CM 10, SB 3.1.0 and AOKP JB 4.1.2.

First of all I've tried Slimbean. I was really confused, when I found out, that there is no keyboard inside the installation! What the h*** (sorry, but I really said that when at that moment)? One of my reasons to leave original Gingerbread was that really bad keyboard, which I need to reinstall by some from Google Play every time I had to reset my phone into factory settings (another reason to upgrade btw). And after upgrade again? But Slimbean looked really well, just a few strings weren't translated to my language, so I decided to try AOKP. AOKP hadn't just keyboard, but also gapps, so I needed to google, where to download it from. I've found this and hoped it can't break my newly installed ROM. And there were more strings untranslated to my language, so I decided to try the third one, CM. It was fully translated, but also there weren't gapps and keyboard. And the patch (if it was a patch) - tether patches.zip - couldn't be applied (some error was thrown during its installation).

Finally, I've found gapps for it too. The winner of these three was Slimbean, the loser was AOKP, but I'm going to test more ROMs, until I find some good one. In order to avoid searching the Mini's section another hours: Is there any ROM with preinstalled keyboard (and possibly gapps too)?

I've removed keyboard and gapps intensionally. I use this keyboard. If you really want jb keyboard i'll provide you later(is not better than gb keyboard though). Yourzgapps are best. Google search yourzgapps.

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
I've removed keyboard and gapps intensionally. I use this keyboard. If you really want jb keyboard i'll provide you later(is not better than gb keyboard though). Yourzgapps are best. Google search yourzgapps.

I used this one. Its dev developed JB keyboard too, but it wasn't compatible with GB anymore. Is there any package for this or JB one or I need to install them from Google Play?

I found out that AOKP just needed to restart to be fully translated, so it is a little bit ok than CM (but SB still wins).

I'd like to try some 4.0 ROMs and some 4.2 ROMs (just to try, like yesterday). I saw here some threads about english only ROMs. I'll try them and maybe find my favourite. Is there any chance to build my language version after that? I know there is big red notification This is english only! (You have been warned...!). I don't want to waste your time for so minor things. Feel free to reject my potential request at the beginning.

Last edited:

Venkatesh

I used this one. Its dev developed JB keyboard too, but it wasn't compatible with GB anymore. Is there any package for this or JB one or I need to install them from Google Play?

I found out that AOKP just needed to restart to be fully translated, so it is a little bit ok than CM (but SB still wins).

I'd like to try some 4.0 ROMs and some 4.2 ROMs (just to try, like yesterday). I saw here some threads about english only ROMs. I'll try them and maybe find my favourite. Is there any chance to build my language version after that? I know there is big red notification This is english only! (You have been warned...!). I don't want to waste your time for so minor things. Feel free to reject my potential request at the beginning.

You can add your language translations to apks inside the rom. ics,jb keyboards won't work on gb. There is a cm10.1 version from androidarmv6 team, try it. It has all languages. To build only your language, then you need to sync sources and modify build files to get your language.

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
You can add your language translations to apks inside the rom. ics,jb keyboards won't work on gb. There is a cm10.1 version from androidarmv6 team, try it. It has all languages. To build only your language, then you need to sync sources and modify build files to get your language.

Thank you, I'll search the CM 10.1 from androidarmv6 team and try it. The keyboard looks like ICS, but worked fine in factory firmware GB. I think it could work in this CM 10.1 too. If I install it from Google Play to the CM 10.1 ROM, it will work, or not? But I don't know, how to change the apk into the zip, that can be installed from cwm.

Thank you for your all help. Six months ago I thought it will be so complicated, but it is easy if one follows the rules not to make a bricked phone.

Edit: I tried this and it is totally awesome. The best I've tried. I'll test it for a longer period. My favourite keyboard is inside, first time in my Mini's life I don't have to reinstall that bad original GB keyboard. I just hope it won't be so battery and RAM consuming (I'll test it). I ask here if I have some question or problem in the future. Last time huge thanks :) (in words and in thank buttons too)

Last edited:

Venkatesh

Thank you, I'll search the CM 10.1 from androidarmv6 team and try it. The keyboard looks like ICS, but worked fine in factory firmware GB. I think it could work in this CM 10.1 too. If I install it from Google Play to the CM 10.1 ROM, it will work, or not? But I don't know, how to change the apk into the zip, that can be installed from cwm.

Thank you for your all help. Six months ago I thought it will be so complicated, but it is easy if one follows the rules not to make a bricked phone.

Edit: I tried this and it is totally awesome. The best I've tried. I'll test it for a longer period. My favourite keyboard is inside, first time in my Mini's life I don't have to reinstall that bad original GB keyboard. I just hope it won't be so battery and RAM consuming (I'll test it). I ask here if I have some question or problem in the future. Last time huge thanks :) (in words and in thank buttons too)

try cm10.1 rom from here.

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015

I tried it, the performance is better, but there is a huge problem. I install it in this way:
boot into cwm 5.0.2.8 >
wipe data, cache, dalvik cache, battery stats >
flash cm10.1 you suggested >
flash yourzgapps >
flash int2ext >
fotmat sd-ext >
reboot
After reboot cm10.1 boots and at the beginning works like a charm. Int2ext works as expected, 1/5 from memory used. But after 2-3 minutes int2ext stops working and I have full memory. Reboot or int2ext reinstallation don't work. Why? How could I fix it?

Last edited:

Venkatesh

I tried it, the performance is better, but there is a huge problem. I install it in this way:
boot into cwm 5.0.2.8 >
wipe data, cache, dalvik cache, battery stats >
flash cm10.1 you suggested >
flash yourzgapps >
flash int2ext >
fotmat sd-ext >
reboot
After reboot cm10.1 boots and at the beginning works like a charm. Int2ext works as expected, 1/5 from memory used. But after 2-3 minutes int2ext stops working and I have full memory. Reboot or int2ext reinstallation don't work. Why? How could I fix it?

Don't format sd-ext after flashing int2ext. One factory reset is enough.
Try this way:
1. Goto recovery and make factory reset/wipe.
2. Flash rom and reboot system(let it boot first).
3. Again goto recovery, mount all partitions and flash int2ext.
4. You can also flash gapps now. Reboot system now, and start your setup.

aleskva

Jan 19, 2015
Don't format sd-ext after flashing int2ext. One factory reset is enough.
Try this way:
1. Goto recovery and make factory reset/wipe.
2. Flash rom and reboot system(let it boot first).
3. Again goto recovery, mount all partitions and flash int2ext.
4. You can also flash gapps now. Reboot system now, and start your setup.

I had formatted sd-ext, because it is written in int2ext installation steps. Finally I tried your suggestion and everything works. I just flashed gapps right after flashing OS, because I want Google's first boot guide. I'm so happy everything works like a charm on that older, but good Mini. I'm also happy I got rid of that buggy GB. Once more thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Answers:
    1. The op(member of androidarmv6 group) isn't active. Thats why the thread says alpha. But you can download and install latest tass(galaxy mini) version from androidarmv6 jenkins. And about feature list, everything is fixed from that list, but camera is colorless(black and white type pics). You need tls enabled recovery to flash latest cm11.

2. Cm11 is stable enough for daily usage. But cm11 is resource hungry. I would recommend you to try cm11 and make your own decision about it. Every android version <= 4.2.2 are fully stable and everything works. I use aokp 4.1.2 myself. 4.2.2 is a bit heavy but if you don't use too many apps, you could use it without any problems. Cm9, ics aosp, cm10,slimbean,aokp jb4.1.2 roms are most efficient 4.x roms and less resource hungry. For better results and good performance, you may need to install greenify. See my threads for 4.x roms.

3. Cm12 isn't booting yet. You can follow review.androidarmv6.org for latest changes and progress. Better use aokp 4.1.2 or slimbean or cm10 with greenify and int2ext(to expand internal memory, you need to create 512mb ext4 partition on sdcard).

4. It is not that hard to flash a simple zip. There is a thread here in galaxy mini section which describes how to root galaxy mini. Follow that tutorial. Then flash cwm 5.0.2.8 recovery(search in and download from galaxy mini section) it from stock rom recovery.
    Then you are ready to install any galaxy mini roms.

Caution: Don't flash any zips outside galaxy mini section. Our device board name is "tass". So, you'll see tass in filenames and they are for galaxy mini/pop s5570. If you flash wrong zips, you'll end up with bricked phones(a paper weight). So, be careful. Have a happy flashing.

I'll try and I'll see ;)

try cm10.1 rom from here.