Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,072 Members 45,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus Desktop Dock Now available @ Expansys

Tip us?

E15i
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Yes, you will need 3.5 to optical adapter, or just buy 3.5 to optical cable, many manufacturers use 3.5 that doubles as optical.
" ... We can do nothing but to see the times go by in the path which God has chosen ... "
Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+) by SAMSUNG
Nexus 7 "nakasig" (GSM/HSPA+) by ASUS
The Following User Says Thank You to E15i For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Roaders
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've got this dock and it is nicely made but it doesn't really do what I want.

I have 2 problems with it:

Firstly I find it very annoying that it locks each time I put the phone in. I would much rather it just stayed in whatever state it was.

Secondly and more annoyingly is that fact that you aren't supposed to use headphones with it. That's basically why I got it so the phone can sit charging on my desk whilst I listen to it with my headphones. The line out is ok with my headphones but there is no way to control the volume.

Of course because of the way the dock holds the phone there is no way I can plug my headphones into the phones jack.

Any suggestions to this? I don't want to have to buy a headphone amp! What headphones can anyone recommend that would work with this dock?

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,059

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaders View Post
I've got this dock and it is nicely made but it doesn't really do what I want.

I have 2 problems with it:

Firstly I find it very annoying that it locks each time I put the phone in. I would much rather it just stayed in whatever state it was.
That is weird, because mine does NOT lock. It stays in whatever state it is in when I insert it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaders View Post
Secondly and more annoyingly is that fact that you aren't supposed to use headphones with it. That's basically why I got it so the phone can sit charging on my desk whilst I listen to it with my headphones. The line out is ok with my headphones but there is no way to control the volume.

Of course because of the way the dock holds the phone there is no way I can plug my headphones into the phones jack.

Any suggestions to this? I don't want to have to buy a headphone amp! What headphones can anyone recommend that would work with this dock?
I agree with you there. Poorly thought out.

There must be plenty of headphones that have volume controls, no?
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

quahog_convo
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by worminater View Post
Any idea how to get the GSM pogo dock in the USA? No one will ship it that I can find..
https://play.google.com/store/device...GVza19kb2NrIl0.

Play store sells them.

alpine
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
That is weird, because mine does NOT lock. It stays in whatever state it is in when I insert it.

I agree with you there. Poorly thought out.

There must be plenty of headphones that have volume controls, no?

The analog audio out is line level. I think the pogo pins transmit spdif digital to the dock. The dock then sends this to toslink if you have one installed, or sends it out as analog line level after a DAC conversion inside the dock.

So it is designed to send audio to a separate amp. You'll need a headphone amp to control headphones. I can recommend the Fiio E17 - excellent sound quality.

Roaders
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
The analog audio out is line level. I think the pogo pins transmit spdif digital to the dock. The dock then sends this to toslink if you have one installed, or sends it out as analog line level after a DAC conversion inside the dock.

So it is designed to send audio to a separate amp. You'll need a headphone amp to control headphones. I can recommend the Fiio E17 - excellent sound quality.
I took your advice (but was actually already looking) and bought the Fiio E17. This along with my Bose QC 15 headphones really does sound very good!

I did have one question though. I have been given a 24 bit 96 KHz flac by a friend. When I play this in Neutron MP on my phone it says 96000 Hz, 24 bits / 4608 kbps but on my Fiio E17 it only says 48k 16bit.

Can't the galaxy nexus push that out? I would have thought it would be much less processor intensive just to push out the original stream rather than resampling it.