Galaxy Nexus Rear Housing Replacement

Search This thread

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
I've started looking around the web to find places that sell the rear housing for the Galaxy Nexus i9250 (GSM version). I'm finding that the rear housing seems to be relatively cheap ($15-20). According to iFixit (step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

Video tutorial (Thanks to snidrx). Rear housing removal is 1:19 - 1:33:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0Wo7a_FqI

Necessary tools to replace rear housing can be found HERE for $3.50.

The GSM i9250 rear housing can be found at the below places:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 79)

Link 2 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 216)

Link 3

Link 4

The i515 (Verizon version) rear housing can be found at the below place:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 112 with pics)

It's been confirmed by superlj in post #86 that the eBay seller cellphone_parts is selling a rear housing for the GSM Galaxy Nexus that is missing key features which make it unusable. BE AWARE!

** If you have successfully purchased the rear housing for the i9250 or i515 please chime in and post the link to where you purchased the housing from.**

Last edited:

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
No experience with any of these sellers but I have purchased parts from these guys and they are all good, sometimes you have to buy more than one though.. which isn't a problem as you can resell second on here or ebay

http://www.globaldirectparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=samsung+i9250

They have what your looking for also

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I saw this site as well. However, they do not sell to end users. They even require a federal tax ID as proof that you are not an individual just trying to repair your phone.

Last edited:

itsjusttim

Aug 12, 2010
SoCal
I saw this site as well. However, they do not sell to end users. They even require a federal tax ID as proof that you are not an individual just trying to repair your phone.

Really? Lol I just bought something off them 2months ago with no problems.. strange.

Umm, maybe you will get lucky and someone will recognize one of the eBay sellers

Reactions: kennyc1

afma_afma

Dec 7, 2009
jus wondering, what type of tpu case do you have..is this the soft type(flexible case) or the hard case type(like polycarbonate soft plastic) ?

Hey guys,

My TPU case started causing some slight scuffing on the corners of the back housing on my Galaxy Nexus. I've looked on eBay and the rear housing seems to be relatively cheap ($43-46). And according to iFixit (step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

So I was thinking about picking up a spare rear housing for whenever I decide to go without a case or switch to one that doesn't leave scuffs. I've always been pretty weary of eBay so I figured I would get your input. Does anyone have any experience with any of the below sellers, specifically with the Galaxy Nexus rear housing?

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Thanks for any input.

May 21, 2010
if you do replace it, id suggest protecting your next one with a skin... Skins go on the phone but they are thin enough to fit inside cases. my skin is a carbon fiber skinomi.. it prevents scuffs and scratches on the part your replacing. i had it on my phone before any cases touched the new phone.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Really? Lol I just bought something off them 2months ago with no problems.. strange.

Umm, maybe you will get lucky and someone will recognize one of the eBay sellers

they started not to supply to end user a while back, they use to sell to anyone.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
jus wondering, what type of tpu case do you have..is this the soft type(flexible case) or the hard case type(like polycarbonate soft plastic) ?

It's the Black Cruzer TPU case. It's pretty soft. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how it's even causing the scuffing but considering the case has been on since 5 minutes after I took the phone out of the box, I'm positive it's the case.

Reactions: afma_afma

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
It's the Black Cruzer TPU case. It's pretty soft. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how it's even causing the scuffing but considering the case has been on since 5 minutes after I took the phone out of the box, I'm positive it's the case.

i have a cheapo USD 2 tpu case, works perfect, using it until i receive my mercury tpu and a alpina leather jelly wallet case.

snidrx

Dec 16, 2011
Melbourne
I am planning to get one, and try to paint it including the back cover white and a clear top coat afterwards. =) thanks for sharing!

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
I am planning to get one, and try to paint it including the back cover white and a clear top coat afterwards. =) thanks for sharing!

Please keep me posted either in this thread or via PM when you get it. I am really curious to see if one of those ebay one fits perfectly. If so I will definitely pick a spare one up.

mixpix405

Dec 2, 2008
Hokes Bluff, AL
twitter.com
I dropped my SGN from a very short distance (maybe 2 feet) onto pavement, and it tumbled. The screen is fine, but all 4 corners have some sort of scratches.

I'm considering pulling the "hey VZW, my phone keeps rebooting on me, can I get a replacement?" maneuver, but if that DOESN'T work (or, if they say they'll be sending me a refurb - dunno why, but I HATE the idea of it having been owned by someone else - call me crazy), I'll gladly shell out the $45 for a replacement housing.

And if I'm looking at my phone correctly, there are not "your warranty is void once you jam a screwdriver through this sticker" sticker, like my Incredible had. Liking that a lot.

mstyle88

Aug 24, 2010
Greenville, SC
I dropped my SGN from a very short distance (maybe 2 feet) onto pavement, and it tumbled. The screen is fine, but all 4 corners have some sort of scratches.

I'm considering pulling the "hey VZW, my phone keeps rebooting on me, can I get a replacement?" maneuver, but if that DOESN'T work (or, if they say they'll be sending me a refurb - dunno why, but I HATE the idea of it having been owned by someone else - call me crazy), I'll gladly shell out the $45 for a replacement housing.

And if I'm looking at my phone correctly, there are not "your warranty is void once you jam a screwdriver through this sticker" sticker, like my Incredible had. Liking that a lot.

I have a similar story to yours. I dropped mine about 3-4 feet onto asphalt and have scrapes on all four corners. Most aren't bad however the bottom of the phone is pretty beat up. The screen has no scratches miracuously. The only other problem I noticed is when the phone vibrates it sounds a little rough but oh well, everything else functions fine! I too wouldn't mind paying $45 for a new housing provided the installation was easy.

Dogtag

Jan 11, 2007
Alkmaar
Hey guys,
(step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

Thanks for any input.

If you look at the score it gets a 6 out of 10 for easy repairebility.

iFixit said:
Removing the rear case to access the motherboard and other internals requires a lot of careful prying and guitar-picking.

Only removing the digitizer is more work :) so it might be harder then it looks (they tear-down phones for a living and it doesn't cost them a dime if it goes wrong). But any way let us know how it went.

p.s. I dropped mine the second day i had it. scuff marks on one corner. :mad:

Last edited:

mixpix405

Dec 2, 2008
Hokes Bluff, AL
twitter.com
Keep me posted on what you end up doing. :)

I ordered my SGN on my work account (a government line). I was talking to my sales rep today in normal everyday business, and calmly mentioned that my SGN was rebooting on it's own (it's not, really... but she doesn't know that), and she said "Oh really? Well, do you want me to ship you a new one?"

"Oh. I hadn't thought much about it, but... I wouldn't want it to become a big problem in the future... so... yeah, I guess that'd be nice."

Couldn't have scripted it better myself. She didn't say anything about it possibly being a refurb tho. Maybe I'll ask her about it tomorrow.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
I ordered my SGN on my work account (a government line). I was talking to my sales rep today in normal everyday business, and calmly mentioned that my SGN was rebooting on it's own (it's not, really... but she doesn't know that), and she said "Oh really? Well, do you want me to ship you a new one?"

"Oh. I hadn't thought much about it, but... I wouldn't want it to become a big problem in the future... so... yeah, I guess that'd be nice."

Couldn't have scripted it better myself. She didn't say anything about it possibly being a refurb tho. Maybe I'll ask her about it tomorrow.

Haha Nice!

You are going through Verizon though. I've found that exchanging phones through your carrier is very simple. However, in my case I have the GSM model and T-Mobile won't help me out with it at all.

I'm not really looking for an exchange anyway. I love the phone and aside from the very tiny scuffs caused by the case it's 100% perfect. I just figured that since the rear housing replacements are only $45, if they fit perfect I might as well pick a spare up.

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com

So you damaged your phone and you want to fraud your carrier? You sound like a real good guy.

You need to man up and take responsibility. If you want it fixed you need to pay for it. Or you should have put insurance on it. If you can't afford to fix it, put a $10 case on it and cover it up.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
you_mad.jpg

Reactions: elmerjr128

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, I ordered this -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260901222...sid=p3984.m1542.l2649&clk_rvr_id=304792461469

And have installed it. Everything is working perfectly. Although, the two side by side are not identical.

Heres a few pics:

Tools which are included and shell:

DSC_2611.jpg

Front:

DSC_2612.jpg

Back:

DSC_2613.jpg

Side by Sides (New Left, old right):

DSC_2624.jpg

Old Left, new Right:

DSC_2622.jpg

Guts popped:

DSC_2619.jpg

Installed:

DSC_2626.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

Took about five minutes and the damged shell is a thing of the past. All for about £25. :D
    I've started looking around the web to find places that sell the rear housing for the Galaxy Nexus i9250 (GSM version). I'm finding that the rear housing seems to be relatively cheap ($15-20). According to iFixit (step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

Video tutorial (Thanks to snidrx). Rear housing removal is 1:19 - 1:33:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0Wo7a_FqI

Necessary tools to replace rear housing can be found HERE for $3.50.

The GSM i9250 rear housing can be found at the below places:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 79)

Link 2 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 216)

Link 3

Link 4

The i515 (Verizon version) rear housing can be found at the below place:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 112 with pics)

It's been confirmed by superlj in post #86 that the eBay seller cellphone_parts is selling a rear housing for the GSM Galaxy Nexus that is missing key features which make it unusable. BE AWARE!

** If you have successfully purchased the rear housing for the i9250 or i515 please chime in and post the link to where you purchased the housing from.**
    I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:
    http://r.ebay.com/9iDEYo

I took a few pictures if anyone wants me to post them as well.
    I just ordered this, some matalic green model paint and some primer. My housing has some good scratches from a drop but they aren't deep so the pan is to put the new housing on as is, then sand and paint the old housing a custom color. I'll let you guys know how it goes
    Sorry about the broken link, ebay shortened it for me.

I bought a tool kit from iFixIt and used the blue separators to separate the housing edges from the screen and then stuck a few guitar picks in the spaces. Do this all the way around and the phone core just pops right out. It looks exactly like this:
    HkIZkbDMSlMnUa1V.huge
    Then the core just snaps right into the new housing.
    The new housing is ever so slightly darker/more matte than the original one, but I think that might just be due to wear. I actually like it better darker.

As for the pics, I didn't take any during the actual procedure, just of the parts.

_DSC0392.jpg

_DSC0393.jpg

LEFT = NEW / RIGHT = OLD
    _DSC0395.jpg

TOP = NEW / BOTTOM = OLD
    _DSC0398.jpg

_DSC0399%2520%2528edited%2529.jpg
    Are there any tutorials on how the LTE/CDMA variant comes apart? I imagine its similar to the GSM one...

Also since VZN is releasing the Gnex in white, will the rear housing be different to accommodate the smaller storage? I would kill to have the real housing on my 32 gig :D

I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:
    http://r.ebay.com/9iDEYo

I took a few pictures if anyone wants me to post them as well.