Galaxy Nexus Rear Housing Replacement

Search This thread

kaisershinn

Aug 3, 2010
Not perfect

Guys, I bought one from eBay and right after shipment the seller told me that there are two versions of the casing. I tried it this afternoon and it's not a perfect fit.

A slight difference in the case near the volume rockers causes the case to have a bulge. There is also one more note; my old battery cover and 2000mah Samsung extended battery cover does not fit with the new casing. The alignment was simply off.

tonnytech

Jul 15, 2010
Guys, I bought one from eBay and right after shipment the seller told me that there are two versions of the casing. I tried it this afternoon and it's not a perfect fit.

A slight difference in the case near the volume rockers causes the case to have a bulge. There is also one more note; my old battery cover and 2000mah Samsung extended battery cover does not fit with the new casing. The alignment was simply off.

Is it possible you could post a pic so other buyers are aware of what not to buy :)

jopherr

Oct 16, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Please let us know if you any of you find the white housing availability xD I'd love to get it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kaisershinn

Aug 3, 2010
Sorry, I've already packed it in an envelope. Besides, it's near impossible to tell until you try it out. Is your screen perfectly flushed with the new casing?

Some people might not mind the less than stellar fit but I use a 2000mah battery and the case doesn't accept the special battery cover.

superlj

May 24, 2007

superlj

May 24, 2007
Maybe they don't have to be OEM but at least seller should sell what they post on ebay. The one I got doesn't match the pictures on the their ebay item.

superlj

May 24, 2007
housing from Link2 doesn't fit mine

So, I ordered one from Link2 in OP and it doesn't fit mine. This is the one that has bulge near the volume rockers. And another difference is showed in the picture. Basically, I can't fully push down the body into the housing on the volume buttons side.
View attachment 923096
View attachment 923097

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
^this. would def like to have white housing w/out forfeiting 16gbs of space. if anyone finds OEM white housing please share! :)

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on it and haven't seen anything yet. It will probably be another month or two before we see them readily available. Use this time to scratch up your current one without worry. :)

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the link. I will let you know about fit when I get mine. Figured I would give it a try, but I am somewhat skeptical.

Definitely post back your results. I dropped mine a few weeks ago on concrete and it scuffed/dented up the dark area around the camera pretty bad. It pains me every time I see it :(.

kyoteqwik

Mar 6, 2010
Asheville
Definitely post back your results. I dropped mine a few weeks ago on concrete and it scuffed/dented up the dark area around the camera pretty bad. It pains me every time I see it :(.

No problem, will do. Might be a week or two before arrives though.
Every phone I ever dropped was dropped because I forgot I had stuck phone between legs while driving, when I get out of vehicle my phone takes a tumble.

naerok

Oct 3, 2011
hi guys..

I dropped mine last night..ufffff..it hurts :mad:

all 4 corners are scratched, screen is fine..

so i want to know is this one works out?

http://www.parts4repair.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-middle-cover-chassis-housing/

i'm on i9250..

please if someone can answer...thx in advance

I dropped mine yesterday as well and ended up here on a google search :p

Ordered the part you linked yesterday as well. Will update when it arrives.

It's the one in Link 2 in OP which at least has a report of it working out so I'm not too worried.

Reactions: lupipe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, I ordered this -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260901222...sid=p3984.m1542.l2649&clk_rvr_id=304792461469

And have installed it. Everything is working perfectly. Although, the two side by side are not identical.

Heres a few pics:

Tools which are included and shell:

DSC_2611.jpg

Front:

DSC_2612.jpg

Back:

DSC_2613.jpg

Side by Sides (New Left, old right):

DSC_2624.jpg

Old Left, new Right:

DSC_2622.jpg

Guts popped:

DSC_2619.jpg

Installed:

DSC_2626.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

Took about five minutes and the damged shell is a thing of the past. All for about £25. :D
    I've started looking around the web to find places that sell the rear housing for the Galaxy Nexus i9250 (GSM version). I'm finding that the rear housing seems to be relatively cheap ($15-20). According to iFixit (step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

Video tutorial (Thanks to snidrx). Rear housing removal is 1:19 - 1:33:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0Wo7a_FqI

Necessary tools to replace rear housing can be found HERE for $3.50.

The GSM i9250 rear housing can be found at the below places:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 79)

Link 2 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 216)

Link 3

Link 4

The i515 (Verizon version) rear housing can be found at the below place:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 112 with pics)

It's been confirmed by superlj in post #86 that the eBay seller cellphone_parts is selling a rear housing for the GSM Galaxy Nexus that is missing key features which make it unusable. BE AWARE!

** If you have successfully purchased the rear housing for the i9250 or i515 please chime in and post the link to where you purchased the housing from.**
    I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:
    http://r.ebay.com/9iDEYo

I took a few pictures if anyone wants me to post them as well.
    I just ordered this, some matalic green model paint and some primer. My housing has some good scratches from a drop but they aren't deep so the pan is to put the new housing on as is, then sand and paint the old housing a custom color. I'll let you guys know how it goes
    Sorry about the broken link, ebay shortened it for me.

I bought a tool kit from iFixIt and used the blue separators to separate the housing edges from the screen and then stuck a few guitar picks in the spaces. Do this all the way around and the phone core just pops right out. It looks exactly like this:
    HkIZkbDMSlMnUa1V.huge
    Then the core just snaps right into the new housing.
    The new housing is ever so slightly darker/more matte than the original one, but I think that might just be due to wear. I actually like it better darker.

As for the pics, I didn't take any during the actual procedure, just of the parts.

_DSC0392.jpg

_DSC0393.jpg

LEFT = NEW / RIGHT = OLD
    _DSC0395.jpg

TOP = NEW / BOTTOM = OLD
    _DSC0398.jpg

_DSC0399%2520%2528edited%2529.jpg
    Are there any tutorials on how the LTE/CDMA variant comes apart? I imagine its similar to the GSM one...

Also since VZN is releasing the Gnex in white, will the rear housing be different to accommodate the smaller storage? I would kill to have the real housing on my 32 gig :D

I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:
    http://r.ebay.com/9iDEYo

I took a few pictures if anyone wants me to post them as well.