5,596,700 Members 46,183 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Inductive charging in Rearth Ringke SLIM

Tip us?

caliber177
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Where can I find/buy the connectors to connect from the inductor to the pogo pins?

Would paper clips work?

subvertz
Old
Thanks Meter 73
The metal in most paperclips is electrically conductive, but not ideal. I don't know of any copper paperclips. Some guys have used nails, thumbtacks and even guitar string to make pogo charging work, so it should be good enough if it doesn't have a plastic coating.
You should be able to bend a springy shape, but will need to find some way to keep them dead aligned with the contacts. This phone not forgiving in the alignment.
If you intend to used the tip of the paperclip, you will need to sand it to a rounded shape to keep it from scratching or indenting the contacts and plastic housing.
Denso TP-100, SE T61z, Moto RAZR V3, Motoi576, Nokia E52, HTC Desire HD, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 5

erbeck.m
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Ringke Slim Extended?

Has anyone actually completed this mod on the Rearth Ringke Slim Extended Battery case? I just ordered mine as well as some Neodymium magnets and copper tape to get started but wondering if anyone has had positive results?

Meihk
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pr3mier View Post
Similar to what I did. I tried using the pogo pins, but there would always be a hump on the case on the side with the pins. It got annoying to me, plus I did a bad job on that mod and charging wouldn't always work. My new mod works great.
I love this modification. I did the exact same thing, using the coil on the inside of the case and opened up the phone for the connection. Unfortunately now every time I charge my phone using touchstone or otherwise, every notification sound is extremely distorted. The Sound is distorted through the earpiece and from the rear speaker. sound is fine when unplugged. It also takes about 10 seconds to charge it using the regular cable now as well. What the heck is going on? I didn't solder the connections on the phone, simply just folding the copper tape on itself to make contact with the inside pins. I tried multiple Roms thinking it was a Rom problem but nay. I may have to attempt to return it after removing the copper tape and unrooting. Has anyone else had this happen to their phone?

ro_explorer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 502
You are mosy likely creating a short circuit when you are closing the case. The screw next to the negatuve cooper foin is shorting the foil ti ground. Open up the phone and place a little insulator where the screw goes in, on the inside of the case. Check the location of the ground ring around the screw holr in the board of the phone.

// sent from my phone //
Currently rocking:
Z1 compact - Stock
Nexus 4 - 16GB - Stock 4.4.2 + xposed
LG G Pad 8.3 - Stock + xposed
In-house: Nexus 7 - 32GB - (Stock 4.4.2 - rooted), RAZR i (stock 4.1.2 - rooted), Defy (MIUI) + Galaxy Tab 8.9 (ICS stock- rooted)

bryanlim05
Old
(Last edited by bryanlim05; 24th November 2012 at 11:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Just wondering, I was looking to get a palm touchstone to do this mod and came accross this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-Palm-...ht_2841wt_1143

Would it work for the GNex if I rip it out of the case that it is in?

Edit:
So I bought just a normal touchstone and back cover and did this mod. I decided to leave off the battery cover of the phone and soldered to thin wires to reach the pins. Then I put a small solder blob on the end of the wire to make contact. Quick and dirty solution till I get some copper tape but it works well. Thanks for all the help

Edit 2:
Just got some copper tape. You can go to your local hardware store and look for snail and slug repellent copper tape.
What I did for the phone part is fold over the end bit and put a solder blob on the end to make the contact with the pin. Then stick it down. This way I didn't have to open up the phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1508398  

Device: M7 (HTC One)
Rom: Android Revolution HD 30 Sense 5.0

Device: Hammerhead (Nexus 5)

Device: Asus Transformer Prime 32gb Champagne
<Retired>
Mako (Nexus 4)
Pyramid (Sensation)
Maguro (Galaxy Nexus)
Ace (Desire HD)
Topaz (Diamond 2)
Leo (HD2)

lupoalberto12
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Hi.
Is this charging kit good?
Will I find in the cover the part for the charge?
I would like to made the same thing also for a Nexus 7.
Thanks.
Bye!
! !

Meihk
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_explorer View Post
You are mosy likely creating a short circuit when you are closing the case. The screw next to the negatuve cooper foin is shorting the foil ti ground. Open up the phone and place a little insulator where the screw goes in, on the inside of the case. Check the location of the ground ring around the screw holr in the board of the phone.

// sent from my phone //
The tape was pressing on one of the other pins causing the audio havok. I since retaped it and everything is working great. Thanks for the feedback.