Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 37,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][PROJECT] Pogo Charging Dock

Tip us?

chopper the dog
Old
(Last edited by chopper the dog; 15th February 2012 at 03:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 733
Default [MOD][PROJECT] Pogo Charging Dock

I didn't want to clog/hijack THIS THREAD but the pin info and idea was very helpful. After waiting and waiting and waiting for official word of a charging dock that utilizes the pogo pins on the side, I've given up hope. And lets face it if you kill the usb port on this thing "you're screwed". so I really wanted to reduce my usb port usage and utilize a feature that comes with the device.

My material list is 8 screws, 46 gauge guitar string, a strip of 1/2" playwood that happened to be ripped down to 2 1/2" in my garage, usb cable, piece of flat 1/8" thick plastic and a tiny bit of solder. The way that I screwed/bent the piece of guitar string gives the perfect amount of spring so that when the device is set both are compressed and make contact with the side of the device.

This was very spur of the moment and took me a half hour to build. And it works brilliantly. Yes I could have spent more time on design and material type and getting proper pogo pins. But I'm lazy and intent of this thread is spark ideas in other peoples heads. So now this masterpiece lives on my nightstand and I drop my galnex in at night and wake up to a full charge in the morning without having to use the usb port.

**edit** The pic of the lockscreen is in landscape using the Team Kang AOKP rom.

good day.
$3 charging dock for the galaxy nexus. SEE HERE.
If I annoyed you. Hit the thanks button.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to chopper the dog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frogskins
Old
Thanks Meter 13
THIS is what I love to see here. Ingenuity. Looks good to me. I am thinking of putting some docks together here this weekend. One for the nightstand and one for the office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to frogskins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Knolly
Old
Thanks Meter 15
VERY awesome work. I love some hacked together ingenuity for sure, haha. I've had the car and desktop dock on order from Clove since December but I think I'll be cancelling the orders fairly soon and working up something on my own.

skynet11
Old
Thanks Meter 564
MacGyver would be proud

Terminators run on Android
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skynet11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bunklung
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Very nice!

irishrally
Old
Thanks Meter 501
Love it, nice work. Like you said, you could get some cheap pogo pins off digikey, but I like the character of your design.

Zane_Grey
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Going to have to try this over the weekend. What is the third pin for on the phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

irishrally
Old
Thanks Meter 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane_Grey View Post
Going to have to try this over the weekend. What is the third pin for on the phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
This is a decent, and probably relevant, read speculating on the function of the third pin on the Nexus One: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=631508

jonnyg1097
Old
Thanks Meter 119
I love this, but I got some questions I'd like answered before attempting this.

1.For those of us without guitar string, would a paper clip bent into proper shape work well too?

2. What cable is that, that you were using just a power cord or was that usb?

3. You said it just sits on your night stand so does that mean you cant transfer data to your computer?

Also a video just going over it more or perhaps some more pics of the back there would be nice (at least for me) to see what is screwed around the screw.

machiz7888
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyg1097 View Post
I love this, but I got some questions I'd like answered before attempting this.

1.For those of us without guitar string, would a paper clip bent into proper shape work well too?

2. What cable is that, that you were using just a power cord or was that usb?

3. You said it just sits on your night stand so does that mean you cant transfer data to your computer?

Also a video just going over it more or perhaps some more pics of the back there would be nice (at least for me) to see what is screwed around the screw.
1. no idea, sorry. Check out the pogo pins though.
2. Thats a power cable, a usb would have a wire for data.
3. the pins don't transfer any information (well... the middle one does, but not anything useful to a pc) so transferring stuff would be impossible. (but thats what wifi is for)

Tags
desk dock, pogo charging