Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 54,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Verizon GNex w/ Play Store Desktop Dock w/ Pogo Pin

Tip us?

litso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Default [MOD] Verizon GNex w/ Play Store Desktop Dock w/ Pogo Pin

So I've been wanting the landscape Desktop Dock with Pogo Pin for my Verizon Galaxy Nexus for quite some time. When they went up on the Play store for $54 I decided to take the plunge. Everywhere I read that the phone would not fit in the dock, it would slowly rise up out of the dock and lose connection with the Pogo Pins. Well, I figured it should be a pretty simple job to modify the dock so that my Verizon phone would fit in it. I wasn't wrong.

The project isn't 100% finished, but its fully functional. All I need to do now is make it look prettier, IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOME FORM OF PAINT OR FINISHER THAT RESEMBLES SOFT-TOUCH RUBBER PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Basically all I did was take some 220 grit sandpaper to it, then followed up with some 400 grit to smooth it out. The process took me quite a while because every time I would finish it with the 400 grit the phone would once again start sliding up and lose connection with the pins. I found that you will either need to remove quite a lot of material, or leave the surface relatively rough so that it grips the phone and holds it in place. I initially started with some 100 grit paper, but you have to be very careful as this will gouge the plastic pretty bad. You can smooth it out, but it will take a lot of work. If I did it again I'd start with some 180 grit or so for the primary material removal, then smooth it out with some 250 or 300 grit.

I left the phone all night in the dock and it did not lose connection. I have had it in the dock all morning, with some light use, and the connection hasn't been lost. I am running AOKP B37 and the phone immediately launches the clock app and begins charging when I place it in the dock. Also, the phone charges at AC rate when the dock is connected to a wall outlet. I haven't tested when connected to my PC via USB. Data transfer doesn't work over the Pogo Pins anyway so there isn't really any point to connect it to your PC. AUDIO OUT VIA A PAIR OF CHEAP PC SPEAKERS WORKS FLAWLESSLY, IT IS NOT USING BLUETOOTH.

I initially tried sanding down only the side to the left of the pogo pins, where the bottom of the phone rests. Unfortunately this did not work, I had to remove some material down the entire length of the dock. I also found it very important to sand down the inside edges of the front ridge running along the bottom and sides. Its relatively easy to remove a decent amount of material from these sides, and will help the phone rest on the pogo pins. I also remove a good amount of material from the 'groove' where the top and bottom of the phone slide in.

Its not the prettiest thing right now, but it is functional and I think with a little more sanding and the proper paint I'll be able make it look almost like new.

If you're like me and love having a dock on your desk, don't be afraid to try this out! Its very easy and as long as you don't mind the dock looking a little scuffed.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to litso For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BrandT90
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks. I was really curious how others would approach fitting their Verizon Galaxy Nexus in this dock along with their experiences doing so. Pretty simple fix. I may just try to do this myself.

Mach3.2
Old
Thanks Meter 450
Your pictures ain't working.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM.

Titanium Silver GSM Galaxy Nexus 16GB
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.3
ROM: CM10.2 23/10 Nightly
Kernel: Lean Kernel 8.3 Experimental
Radio: XXLJ1
Bootloader: PRIMELC03

Jubakuba's Guide
Stock Nexus Images
Unlock gnex bootloader without root

Making a Dropbox account?
Click this referral link to signup and download the Dropbox application so both of us get extra 500MB of space

litso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Hmm, pictures work fine for me on phone and desktop, can anyone see them?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BrandT90
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by litso View Post
Hmm, pictures work fine for me on phone and desktop, can anyone see them?
Pictures show up on my desktop. Haven't tried on my phone.

Robpol86
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Pictures don't work on my desktop when viewing from the forums. When I open an image in a new tab, it gives me HTTP 403: "Rate-limit exceeded Thatís all we know".

When I refresh that tab, then it works.

hlaalu
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Looks good so far. Just some tips from my experience with this kinda stuff, you need to work up to at least 2000 grit paper. This will get rid of the sanding lines. Also I wouldn't bother with the rubberized material, it's expensive and not going to match anyways. You could go with the cheap plastidip but it will surely come off after a few dozen uses of the dock.

You're definitely on the right track... I would just keep sanding off a little more material at a time until the phone fits without sliding up, then either leave or sand the whole dock and paint the whole thing.
Nexus 10 ~ Moto X Dev Edition
I <3 Android Devs

Android Assault!

litso
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep that in mind. My primary concern was getting it functional, which it is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ficklecycler
Old
Thanks Meter 56
For a soft touch-like surface you can try using spray on plasti-dip. Its a material that you may have seen for dipping tool handles in. It has a nice rubberized surface that covers well. You can get it in black (and a few more colors online) and it isn't terribly expensive. Remember, light coats always.

The actual finish that gets used for on phones and consumer products that we call soft touch is really expensive for you and I to buy. I tried getting some one time for a project and was quoted something like $90/pint. Good luck!

Zenoran
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I ordered this dock thinking it would work with a minimal amount of Modding but the design of the dock is molded very specific to the size of the GSM phone. Your fix us encouraging but is it really worth all that work sanding down that beautiful finish? I'm thinking the dock from Samsung might just be the better choice if it ever gets off back order.
XV6800 -> XV6850 -> Fuze -> PPC 6850 -> XV6850 -> iPhone -> Nexus One -> Epic 4G -> Nexus S -> Thunderbolt -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 -> Nexus 5

iPad -> Galaxy Tab -> Nook Color -> Galaxy Tab -> Transformer -> Nook Color -> Nexus 7 -> iPad 3 -> Nexus 10