Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

OP Neo3D

11th January 2012, 09:50 PM   |  #181  
Thanks Meter: 17

136 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesshoo

Not sure how I'll manage to balance them upright but I'll see what I can do.

Purchased the extended GSM battery from a Korean eBay seller ( Korean gnex is shipping with the extended battery so I imagine that's how the seller obtained them). "Shimshop" is the eBay seller name if I recall correctly. It works just like the LTE extended battery and back cover in that it basically fills in the hump at the bottom. I can say even with out my wife's phone in front of me that the GSM version maintains the same thickness difference compared to the LTE version also with the extended battery

I think a better idea is to lay one phone down on top of the other. For example, place phone one down on the table on it's back. Then lay the second phone (again on it's back) on top of the 1st phone's screen - if that doesn't work maybe try laying them face to face. Then, use something like 2 books to make sure the tops/bottoms are lined up. Then snap a pic of the pin alignment.

If you try standing them up, and one of them is not level, it's going to throw off the alignment.
11th January 2012, 09:51 PM   |  #182  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phocus

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page....ts&skuno=93056

I emailed and asked them to check it.

Hello, yes the mount which is shown online has the 3-pin connector, as well as a Micro USB and 3.5mm plug for charging and audio output. This is compatible with both the GSM & LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Thanks

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: MVU-946685
Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk
Priority: Low

Shipping on the 23? Nice find. It seems pretty clear in the description and the response to the question that this is the one we've wanted. Crossing my fingers and waiting 12 days...
11th January 2012, 10:03 PM   |  #183  
Thanks Meter: 17

136 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulBack

Shipping on the 23? Nice find. It seems pretty clear in the description and the response to the question that this is the one we've wanted. Crossing my fingers and waiting 12 days...

Just playing devil's advocate here....if this dock really did work for both the GSM/LTE versions, what benefit would it be for Samsung to say that it doesn't work with the LTE version?

You can buy the dock directly from Samsung, so if they claimed LTE compatability, that would enable them to sell more units. But that's not the case, Sammy is saying they're not compatible. Since Samsung manufactures the dock, I'm going to take their word over a 3rd party reseller who just wants to sell more units. Hope I'm wrong, but let's be logical here.

Also FWIW, the part # from fommy "ECS-K1F8BEGSTA" shows on Samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...ECS-K1F8BEGSTA as the POS Vz Dock without the 3-pin functionality. I think fommy is supplying bad info.
Last edited by cryptiq; 11th January 2012 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cryptiq For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2012, 10:24 PM   |  #184  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptiq

Just playing devil's advocate here....if this dock really did work for both the GSM/LTE versions, what benefit would it be for Samsung to say that it doesn't work with the LTE version?

You can buy the dock directly from Samsung, so if they claimed LTE compatability, that would enable them to sell more units. But that's not the case, Sammy is saying they're not compatible. Since Samsung manufactures the dock, I'm going to take their word over a 3rd party reseller who just wants to sell more units. Hope I'm wrong, but let's be logical here.

Also FWIW, the part # from fommy "ECS-K1F8BEGSTA" shows on Samsung's site http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...ECS-K1F8BEGSTA as the POS Vz Dock without the 3-pin functionality. I think fommy is supplying bad info.

Agreed. I'm skeptical but hopeful. How reputable is Fommy? If the dock is not a 3-pin dock, they are straight up lying. The price is also questionable. It is the same price as Samsung's VZW crap dock. Not looking good.

I may have gotten a little too excited too quickly. But I still am hopeful.
11th January 2012, 10:43 PM   |  #185  
Thanks Meter: 38

178 posts
Quote:

I have a GSM nexus and my wife has lte nexus. I will try to remember to compare them when we are both home from work. What should I be looking for in particular when comparing them? I have a digital caliper I can use to measure things but I'd like to know what measurements to take since it would be a PITA to take every single dimension on this device with all the curves.

Also, we both have extended batteries but I still have both original batteries and covers as well.

Since the phone is curved and setting one on top of the other might throw off the measurements, here is what I recommend:

Take a corner square (or a reasonable facsimile) and set it on the table and put the phone face down in the corner (ensuring the phone is perpendicular to the bottom). Then measure from the edge of the square to the center of the first pin. Do the same with the other phone. If they are the same then awesome!
11th January 2012, 11:15 PM   |  #186  
Thanks Meter: 76

539 posts
More
please stop posting that damn fommy link!!

Thats the POS one. it always has been, it always will be.
12th January 2012, 02:55 AM   |  #187  
Thanks Meter: 118

439 posts
It's pretty late and I'm about to stare at the back of my eye lids but I did a very quick and and crude measurement with my caliper and got roughly 147mm from an imaginary square bottom corner to the first gold contact on both the lte and GSM nexus. I'll do it again much more carefully and hopefully with pics in the morning before either of us leave for work. I'll put it this way, my first impression is that they're in same place but they are a small target so don't go throwing down money based solely on my initial and admittedly crude first measurement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellesshoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #188  
Thanks Meter: 38

178 posts
Quote:

It's pretty late and I'm about to stare at the back of my eye lids but I did a very quick and and crude measurement with my caliper and got roughly 147mm from an imaginary square bottom corner to the first gold contact on both the lte and GSM nexus. I'll do it again much more carefully and hopefully with pics in the morning before either of us leave for work. I'll put it this way, my first impression is that they're in same place but they are a small target so don't go throwing down money based solely on my initial and admittedly crude first measurement.

Awesome! That is good news so far. Just to clarify, is this what you measured?

If so, I think you mean 47 mm
Last edited by Accord281; 12th January 2012 at 04:16 AM.
12th January 2012, 04:22 AM   |  #189  

439 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord281

Awesome! That is good news so far. Just to clarify, is this what you measured?

If so, I think you mean 47 mm

Yes, that's what I measured. Guess I'm a bit out of it. I'll try to do some more detailed measurements plus pics before the wife and I part ways for work tomorrow morning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellesshoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2012, 02:29 PM   |  #190  

439 posts
OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.

Comparison with standard battery installed. TOP: GSM, BOTTOM: LTE

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ellesshoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread