5,596,784 Members 48,025 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

Tip us?
 
mad_vtak
Old
#1081  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 298
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Memfrica


The box is huge. My gf lte model did not fit. My Gsm fit like a glove.

Previous to this I used the vzw dock I got from a friend for $13 and it seemed like that dock was harder to use.

Gonna mod the vzw dock for the gf
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
butler360
Old
#1082  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 77
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_vtak View Post


The box is huge. My gf lte model did not fit. My Gsm fit like a glove.

Previous to this I used the vzw dock I got from a friend for $13 and it seemed like that dock was harder to use.

Gonna mod the vzw dock for the gf
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Others have reported the VZW version works pretty much fine...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Verizon LG G2
 
mad_vtak
Old
#1083  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 298
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Memfrica
Quote:
Originally Posted by butler360 View Post
Others have reported the VZW version works pretty much fine...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Other reported, i have physically done it. The GF got upset that it was so tight it might have scratched her phone. So i probably wont be able to test again.
 
Sigismond0
Old
#1084  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 40
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_vtak View Post
Other reported, i have physically done it. The GF got upset that it was so tight it might have scratched her phone. So i probably wont be able to test again.
It's supposed to be tight. Same as the Verizon dock was. This is expected.
 
Wade-0
Old
#1085  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 240
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, OR
Just got mine, and my VZW with extended battery fits fine. It goes in a lot easier than it comes out though (that's what she said! ). The buttons don't seem to be functional though, I'm guessing because it's pinning the volume rocker, causing it to ignore the power button presses. Everything seems to line up fine except for the volume rocker, so I'll report back after I take a knife to it (if no one else has).

Without power to the dock it's not triggering anything on the phone, so I'm assuming this means it doesn't use NFC at all and relies on the pogo pins to trigger car dock mode.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_vtak View Post
Other reported, i have physically done it. The GF got upset that it was so tight it might have scratched her phone.
Yeah, well... girls... exaggerating... drama... etc. Mine fits fine, and I don't see how this soft rubbery plastic could scratch anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade-0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SaulBack
Old
(Last edited by SaulBack; 1st June 2012 at 02:41 AM.)
#1086  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 18
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade-0 View Post
Just got mine, and my VZW with extended battery fits fine. It goes in a lot easier than it comes out though (that's what she said! ). The buttons don't seem to be functional though, I'm guessing because it's pinning the volume rocker, causing it to ignore the power button presses. Everything seems to line up fine except for the volume rocker, so I'll report back after I take a knife to it (if no one else has).

Without power to the dock it's not triggering anything on the phone, so I'm assuming this means it doesn't use NFC at all and relies on the pogo pins to trigger car dock mode.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------


Yeah, well... girls... exaggerating... drama... etc. Mine fits fine, and I don't see how this soft rubbery plastic could scratch anything.
I took a knife to mine and now the volume rockers are funtional. Just take a sliver off and it should work for you. Strange that Samsung couldn't have made this dock functional for all G Nexuses since such a trivial mod makes it work.

A couple of problems that I've noticed:

The line out picks up feedback from the power. You can hear a high pitched sound come in from the speakers. Very unfortunate but I'll have to live with it.

Also, I have been getting some crashes. I have a bugreport. It is a 4mb text file. I'm on AOKP milesotone 5. Anyone else seeing this? Anyone know how to fix it? Anyone interested in seeing the bugreport?
 
morbidz
Old
(Last edited by morbidz; 1st June 2012 at 02:50 AM.)
#1087  
morbidz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 133
Join Date: Apr 2011
@SaulBack. Get noise cancelling 3.5mm cable. Its like $15 on amazon.
I got this one and it cured all the noise problems.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to morbidz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Wade-0
Old
#1088  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 240
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, OR
So my initial testing results, unmodified dock with VZW model:

1) The fit seems to be the same regardless of which battery you have (standard or extended). I thought maybe the volume rocker would line up better with the standard battery, but it doesn't.

2) The power and audio work fine, however the proximity of the micro-usb port to the AUX port on the dock might cause problems for some people if your plugs are too fat like mine.

3) The volume rocker being partially depressed can cause some real whacky behavior. There's no way I'd use it very long without modding. In fact, I'm going to take a knife to it right after I post this.

4) I thought it would be cool to be able to use the camera while driving, to record my awesome rally skillz and other random asshats in traffic, but the dock mount shows up in the corner of the frame. Oh well...

4) The Car Home app that was uploaded in this thread kinda sucks balls. But it works.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade-0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SQurel23
Old
#1089  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 72
Join Date: Jun 2010
I think I've seen enough posts that say this dock works with the VZW version (with a slight mod). Definitely gonna pick this up...just with it was a tad cheaper, especially since it took this long to come out
 
efdisastet
Old
#1090  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 39
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by what25 View Post
On a side note to everyone, do you guys think that now the GSM version is on sale, Samsung might release a LTE version for both Verizon & Sprint? (I also noticed that Verizon doesn't sell the plastic dock anymore.)
I kinda hope so, and I kinda don't.

I'm extremely tempted to buy this dock, right now, because I'm not afraid of a little razor blade modding... even though I walked into a Verizon store yesterday and bought the last crappy no-pin dock on the shelf, because I hadn't read my blogs all day... and I have a road trip coming up at the end of June... so if they released an i515 version, I don't think I could resist it, and then I would have spent way too much money on car docks.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes