5,595,815 Members 35,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REVIEW] Nokia BH-221 Bluetooth

Tip us?

andres22
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi Laygo,

I just bought this device from expansys, and it is working great with music player but I keep losing connection when it works as a headset for calls. If I am 1 meter away from the phone it will connect and disconnect every few seconds. The main reason I bought this was to use it for calls
My phone is an htc Titan. Have you even encountered this issue? Any way to fix it or shall I just return it to expansys?

Many thanks.

LAYGO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
The only problem I have is with NFC: when I power it on via NFC, it won't actually connect. I have to hit the phone button for almost a second (until you hear the single beep), let go & then it connects. Once connected, I do not have ANY issues with media or phone. Works flawlessly.
Galaxy S4 - rooted 4/28/13! Yucky Touchwiz

TF101b (Megatron/Guevor) - Summer 2011
Nook HD (CM10)
Parrot Asteroid Smart (Rooted)

Galaxy Nexus (CM9): Bought: 04/22/12 - Rooted: 04/23/12
EVO 4G: Bought: 07/02/10 - Rooted: 07/09/10

Nokia BH-214 Review | Nokia BH-221 Review
(Bluetooth HFP/HSP/A2DP/AVRCP)

upendrawanmali
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Multipoint

So can I receive calls on both the devices I connect or only one device can be used to receive calls ??

talipo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the model bh-214 and a galaxy I9100.
When I connect it to the aux in the car who is calling me hears echo. Is there a solution? Has tried it in the car as bluethooth handsfree?
Thanks.

LAYGO
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Well, after awhile, the screen on my 221 has not legible at all. It might have something to do with the Texas summers or not, but I rarely use the screen. It is needed to pair/configure, but I've not used it hardly at all.

Still connects flawlessly with both my Evo/Nexus with my Evo purely as Media & Nexus as Phone and/or Media (if I have the Evo off).
Galaxy S4 - rooted 4/28/13! Yucky Touchwiz

TF101b (Megatron/Guevor) - Summer 2011
Nook HD (CM10)
Parrot Asteroid Smart (Rooted)

Galaxy Nexus (CM9): Bought: 04/22/12 - Rooted: 04/23/12
EVO 4G: Bought: 07/02/10 - Rooted: 07/09/10

Nokia BH-214 Review | Nokia BH-221 Review
(Bluetooth HFP/HSP/A2DP/AVRCP)

jimmyff
Old
(Last edited by jimmyff; 15th February 2013 at 10:48 AM.) Reason: Corrected typo: AVRCP
Thanks Meter 4
Hey,
I've been looking for a decent bluetooth stereo headset to use with my own earphones and I like the look of the Nokia BH-221 but I've got a couple of concerns maybe you can help with:

Low volume issue
I've read that some people are having issues with the device not pushing out enough volume, some suggest even with the stock earplugs. Apparently the issue is even worse with mid range impedance headphones like I'd planned to use (70 ohms). Anyone here having similar issue with this device?

Track ID
I've been looking at headsets with a display (this one, MW600 & MW1) as I want to be able to control my music and see track names on my commute without getting my phone out. I've read that Nokia didn't implement AVRCP 1.3, instead they've implemented v1.0 then done some black magic to make the track information work with certain handsets (mainly Nokia's). This seems like a bit of a deal breaker for me as I want a BT headset that's standards compliant so even if the track ID doesn't work on my Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 now, when stock android updates the BT profiles to support AVRCP 1.3+ then it should all start working. What are your experiences with the track ID support?

If the two points above are real problems with the device then I'll probably pick up a MW600 or MW1 as an alternative. I just think the Nokia BH-221 looks so much nicer!

Thanks

bikbok
Old
Thanks Meter 0
A word of warning: This bluetooth device has serious compatibility issues with the Lumia 920.

Read more: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Noki...es/m-p/1676684

jimmyff
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Based on the reasons I mentioned above I went for the older device: MW600 - I'll post a youtube review once I've had a week or two with it.

bobdoblo
Old
(Last edited by bobdoblo; 26th February 2013 at 09:16 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyff View Post
Based on the reasons I mentioned above I went for the older device: MW600 - I'll post a youtube review once I've had a week or two with it.
Send it back now!

The worst designed headset ever and the quality is dreadful.
I got one to replace my 7 year old Nokia BH - 500 and thought it would be great after reading some reviews.
How wrong i was!
Whoever designed it needs sacking.
When you want to turn volume up it never works but when you don't want to touch it you will.
It is infuriatingly bad.
Then there is the sound
I took it back and got an exchange because i thought it was broken.
But it wasn't as the new one was the same.
Anything over 3/4 volume distorts and it is not even loud anyway.
100% on that is like 50% on the Nokia for loudness and in a completely different league for quality.

To the OP in your review of the 214 you mention numerous times how Loud it is but then you have just said in this review you use something else to bump up the volume?

So.. Why would you need to if its so loud?

Ever tried Nokia BH-500?

Its great, quality and loudness are amazing (with different headphones but how does it compare to 214?
This site says it is brilliant, i have just ordered another BH-500 from Amazon and am now wondering if i should change?
http://www.gadgetnutz.com/2010/07/12...bh-214-review/

Edit, tested back 2 back with same songs and earphones and BH-500 is better.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdoblo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaivalya97
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYGO View Post
Well, after awhile, the screen on my 221 has not legible at all. It might have something to do with the Texas summers or not, but I rarely use the screen. It is needed to pair/configure, but I've not used it hardly at all.

Still connects flawlessly with both my Evo/Nexus with my Evo purely as Media & Nexus as Phone and/or Media (if I have the Evo off).
I have the same problem with my BH-221 in India. I just bought it yesterday. Did you find a solution for the brightness issue?