Stock vs Extended Battery review?

Search This thread

mahsan988

Sep 18, 2010
Worcester, MA
Alright, before anyone tries to bash me for not searching the thread. I want to let you know I spend an hour searching the forums for my question exactly.

Is there anyone out there who has compared the stock 1850 mAh battery to the extended 2100 mAh one?
I have had stock since December. And I am now completely sick of the battery life. 4.0.4 did improve the battery life but it is still dismal. I have the Galaxy S3 for my work phone and that phone's battery runs laps around the Nexus. And that battery is 2100 mAh.

My S3 is always easily getting me through 1.5 - 2 days with more usage than my Nexus!!! Both phones have the same exact settings. (4G always on, GPS always on, WiFi on at home, Google sync on for everything, Skype on all day).

My biggest complaint is on the days where I am not home or at work. Whenever I go out, I don't use my phone so that I can leave some battery there to make sure that I am able to make calls if needed. And even that doesn't work most of the time. My phone will still die before I call it a night. I love the Nexus, and I cannot wait for Jellybean and would like to keep this phone for a long time (even though I have an upgrade available). I am basically trying to decide between extended battery or the external charger with a spare battery option. I would much rather get the extended battery because I am not too keen on carrying an extra battery with me. I would rather put in the extended battery and forget about it. I understand that theoretically the increase in battery is only 13% but to me that doesn't mean **** since the S3 lasts me 2-3 times longer than the Nexus with the same exact settings. So in real world usage, how much of an increase is the extended battery?

Thanks!

n_topher

Jul 12, 2012
Sacramento
Alright, before anyone tries to bash me for not searching the thread. I want to let you know I spend an hour searching the forums for my question exactly.

Is there anyone out there who has compared the stock 1850 mAh battery to the extended 2100 mAh one?
I have had stock since December. And I am now completely sick of the battery life. 4.0.4 did improve the battery life but it is still dismal. I have the Galaxy S3 for my work phone and that phone's battery runs laps around the Nexus. And that battery is 2100 mAh.

My S3 is always easily getting me through 1.5 - 2 days with more usage than my Nexus!!! Both phones have the same exact settings. (4G always on, GPS always on, WiFi on at home, Google sync on for everything, Skype on all day).

My biggest complaint is on the days where I am not home or at work. Whenever I go out, I don't use my phone so that I can leave some battery there to make sure that I am able to make calls if needed. And even that doesn't work most of the time. My phone will still die before I call it a night. I love the Nexus, and I cannot wait for Jellybean and would like to keep this phone for a long time (even though I have an upgrade available). I am basically trying to decide between extended battery or the external charger with a spare battery option. I would much rather get the extended battery because I am not too keen on carrying an extra battery with me. I would rather put in the extended battery and forget about it. I understand that theoretically the increase in battery is only 13% but to me that doesn't mean **** since the S3 lasts me 2-3 times longer than the Nexus with the same exact settings. So in real world usage, how much of an increase is the extended battery?

Thanks!

I'm barely able to get through a full day with the extended battery. I mainly use my phone during the day on WiFi. With the activity level that you posted, I don't think the 2100 mAh would be a huge improvement on battery life (maybe an extra hour tops?). Also, I don't like the little hump that it gets with the extended battery attached. I'm running mRom 4.1.1 at the moment.

Scott Sawyer

Dec 17, 2008
When I got my nexus in May, I thought I would run the stock battery for a while, but it was terrible for me. In a week, I bought the bigger battery. I wanted to keep the slim profile, so I went with the 2150 with the slightly bumped door, don't even notice the size difference.

The bigger battery makes a big difference for me. Can't say exactly how much longer, but definitely better. I also purchased Juice Defender Ultimate. After tweaking the settings, it reports nearly double the battery. Sometimes it takes a minute to connect to a network if it has my radios off, but not a huge issue for me.

In all, I'd say the nexus is pretty rough on battery. Big screen and 4g, what are you going to do?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

fluidd

Aug 11, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Extended Battery 2000mah.. i'm easily getting 24+ hours with moderate usage with data on, sync on, location settings on, 60% brightness..

bigxie 4.1.1 rom + imoseyon 4.2 kernel.. overall very happy with it..

i've had the extended battery for 2 mths now so i guess its conditioned now.

i can actually use my phone and not worry about the battery dying..

i have the s3 as well, but don't really use it yet because i am still waiting for my case to ship from china..

_hendrix

Jan 21, 2011
Battery

The 2100 is nice to have just because it doesn't add a lot of bulk. But I only get 18 hours max.

mahsan988

Sep 18, 2010
Worcester, MA
Today I have had my Nexus unplugged for 10 hours and with 1 hour of screen usage battery is down to 25%
My S3 has been unplugged for 12 hours and with 1 hour of screen usage it is at 68%

Wtf!! Battery is so horrible. Google I want to love your bone stock, "this is the ideal Android" phone but this battery is pathetic!!! What the ****.
I bought my phone at $300, I gotta buy another battery for either $25 or $40. They never made the real pogo pin car mount and expect us to buy a piece of plastic for $40. They released the pogo pin dock after 8 months for ****ing $90. Holy ****. This is so frustrating. The first phone I thought I would actually buy all the accessories for, and keep for a good 2-3 years has been a complete failure. :mad:

fluidd

Aug 11, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Screenshot_2012-08-02-00-18-45.png

Screenshot_2012-08-02-00-18-40.png

Heavy usage today.
Bigxie JB 4.1.1 ROM + Imoseyon Kernel.
Combination of 4G and WiFi on all day, auto-sync on, location settings on, brightness 60% on, sometimes 100% during peak times of the day.

Overall happy with performance. Ofcourse S3 is better though.. But still love this phone..

How are you guys having bad battery life?

mahsan988

Sep 18, 2010
Worcester, MA
Heavy usage today.
Bigxie JB 4.1.1 ROM + Imoseyon Kernel.
Combination of 4G and WiFi on all day, auto-sync on, location settings on, brightness 60% on, sometimes 100% during peak times of the day.

Overall happy with performance. Ofcourse S3 is better though.. But still love this phone..

How are you guys having bad battery life?

Now that I could live with.. 3 hours of screen time?! Have never seen that on my Nexus, not even when at home, on wifi all day! Is that with the official extended battery or what?

I think I may just have to root my phone and run another ROM and a good kernel. I have been avoiding this because I work for VZW and sell phones for a living. I demonstrate my phone all the time and did not want to be running some crazy mods and having customers saying WTF! lol I guess I should only use the S3 for demonstrations and use my Nexus the way I want to.

madsere

May 2, 2010
Yes battery life is abysmally poor, but it's really a non issue - a package with 3 spare standard batteries and external charger is ~$12 on Ebay, including shipping. They don't last that long, 4-6 months or so, but then I just buy a new package. I'm on my third so far. Love having a couple of fresh spare batteries in my back pocket.

But the battery panel sucks. It's attached with these tiny plastic hooks that break off after a few times use. If only someone would make a more solid back panel. the metal ones are slightly better but much thicker so the phone no longer fit into the dock, and NFC and GPS sensitivity is down the drain.

cucisan

Sep 3, 2007
AW: Stock vs Extended Battery review?

forget about stock battery summary... its useless. try out betterbatterystats (xda or market). it may help you find out whats going on. i can get 23h standby with over 3hrs screenon with stock battery (stock rom 4.2.1 with Franco) which is pretty good compared to what im used to

the only time i got such bad runtime (13hrs+1h screen + 20% left) was with over 2hrs without mobile signal
which is to expected...

imho there are 3 major drainer on every phone: screen, bad mobile signal, some app that prevents phone from deepsleep'ing

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2

luke61456789

Aug 19, 2012
lakeville mn
I've just got a Hyperion 3800 mah battery best buy I've had it lasted over 24 hours I flash and have an unlimited data plan so I'm always on 4g its a good battery I'll give more as I use I just got it 2 days ago

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

z0mghii

Oct 9, 2011
forget about stock battery summary... its useless. try out betterbatterystats (xda or market). it may help you find out whats going on. i can get 23h standby with over 3hrs screenon with stock battery (stock rom 4.2.1 with Franco) which is pretty good compared to what im used to

the only time i got such bad runtime (13hrs+1h screen + 20% left) was with over 2hrs without mobile signal
which is to expected...

imho there are 3 major drainer on every phone: screen, bad mobile signal, some app that prevents phone from deepsleep'ing

Can you list whether you are on 4g or on 3g? That's going to be a big difference, on 4g i am only able to get 1:20 screen time, 10-11h standby with lean kernel

cucisan

Sep 3, 2007

sry forgot. this was with 3g only as i have the gsm gnex :) also wifi always on auto brightness everything else off
but with "perfect" mobile signal
BBS tells me i'm loosing 0.4% per h while phone doing nothing.

i also got the extended bat now which gives me about 1-1.5h extra screen on time.

but for the record: its very easy to drain even the ext. battery fast: playing 3d heavy game for 4-5hrs with 6hrs uptime and its at 3%
so no voodoo here ;)

Smagen

Mar 11, 2012
Palermo
marcome.li
OnePlus 6T
sry forgot. this was with 3g only as i have the gsm gnex :) also wifi always on auto brightness everything else off
but with "perfect" mobile signal
BBS tells me i'm loosing 0.4% per h while phone doing nothing.

i also got the extended bat now which gives me about 1-1.5h extra screen on time.

but for the record: its very easy to drain even the ext. battery fast: playing 3d heavy game for 4-5hrs with 6hrs uptime and its at 3%
so no voodoo here ;)

Can you tell me your settings? I have PA 3.0 and AK kernel w/ auto brightness, wifi and sync always on; I get 2h of screen with some browsing, twitter and whatsapp... BBS says I consume 7,4%/h !

cucisan

Sep 3, 2007

well don't mistake me - 0.4% was the lowest value i got turning on the phone after idling and starting bbs ..
it will be higher if would do more stuff more regulary i guess

i only sync 1 IMAP account hourly and Google background stuff (incl. being online in gtalk and g+ notifications)

autobrightness on
wlan was connected and always on
BT/GPS off

no special setup just using Francos kernel with stock rom

just check wakelocks and deepsleep values maybe its an app :)

edit: screen time of 4hrs+ with rss feeds, twitter, texts, chrome and some other rather low resource apps i guess no gaming...

Last edited:

Smagen

Mar 11, 2012
Palermo
marcome.li
OnePlus 6T
R: Stock vs Extended Battery review?

I really can't reach that screen time, also my battery charge 'til 99% no way to get 100%. I'm just thinking that's the begin of the end of my battery...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

cucisan

Sep 3, 2007

I really can't reach that screen time, also my battery charge 'til 99% no way to get 100%. I'm just thinking that's the begin of the end of my battery...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

maybe, my battery is 1 month old

edit: attached screenshots from today - as this seems to be the way to go to show off battery life ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-20-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-20-58.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-21-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-21-03.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-21-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-21-12-21-12.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

peikojose

May 13, 2012
I received today the extender battery from shipshop.

Wow the extended cover makes the phone better IMHO. I'm charging it.

It included a screen protector for free!

peikojose

May 13, 2012
The extended battery makes the battery life from bad to "normal". I can reach easily 4 h of screen on time. Stand by is around 18-19 hours, finally I can leave home in the morning and return at night with some battery.

I weighted them:

Samsung Original Extended Battery 2000mAh - 44 g
Samsung Original Stock Battery 1750mAh - 38 g (Which makes sense, we are talking about 45 mAh per gram)
Chinese Battery 1900mAh (Same size than stock) - 32 g (So it's a scam, I'm sure they don't have more mAh per gram than Samsung)

This is the cheap battery I am reffering to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MQEPW0/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (It works fine, but it must be around 1500-1400mAh).

I hope you enjoy this information.