5,601,062 Members 45,622 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TPU Bumper

Tip us?
 
trainerKEN
Old
#51  
Member
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 76
Join Date: Jun 2009
...so, mine finally arrived today (ordered it on April 2nd). My opinion/review at the bottom











...so, I have to say, for $4 shipped... I'm very happy with the money spent. Yes, the wait was ridiculously long... and I would've gladly paid $8 with express shipping, but express shipping wasn't an option.

As mention before, I'm pretty sure it's NOT TPU, but more or less just plastic (+rubber). It IS, however.... a very snug fit. As you can see, there is a raised/rise between the plastic (in my case, the white part), and the battery door/rear panel. But I have to add, if you laid it down, the camera/lens part that bulges out WILL touch whatever surface. Unless you absolutely need to have the screen face side up, you're actually better off facing it screen side down (just my opinion).

As for the built/craftsmanship goes... it ain't the greatest (but then again... it was $4). I can see the rubber separating from the plastic if you take the case on and off often. I, for one... don't charge batteries at all, nor do I use a dock that can't be used with a case... (yes, you can possibly open the battery door/panel without taking this bumper off, but it would be even more effort). So, if you're the kind of person that have to take you Galaxy Nexus out often (for whatever reason), I would think that rubber would eventually just peel off/separate from the plastic.

Hope that helps.

I highly recommend this bumper if you want your GNex to still have that slim curved look. I actually like this better than the Ringke because the edges are protected. While the back side isn't, the battery door/panel can be replaced for $10. Where as replacing the main housing cost a lot more and takes a lot more effort to replace. The Ringke would be on the top of my list if only the side edges were protected.

Again, if you do plan on ordering one of these from eBay sellers (I think they all come from the same warehouse despite multiple sellers offering the same thing), just be prepare for a long wait.

Honestly, someone should offer these eBay sellers $2-$3 per bumper but buy 50-100 of them, bring them to North America, sell them at $10 shipped. I bet they would sell pretty fast, at least people wouldn't have to wait so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to trainerKEN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fullmetal509
Old
#52  
fullmetal509's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 393
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerKEN View Post
...so, mine finally arrived today (ordered it on April 2nd). My opinion/review at the bottom











...so, I have to say, for $4 shipped... I'm very happy with the money spent. Yes, the wait was ridiculously long... and I would've gladly paid $8 with express shipping, but express shipping wasn't an option.

As mention before, I'm pretty sure it's NOT TPU, but more or less just plastic (+rubber). It IS, however.... a very snug fit. As you can see, there is a raised/rise between the plastic (in my case, the white part), and the battery door/rear panel. But I have to add, if you laid it down, the camera/lens part that bulges out WILL touch whatever surface. Unless you absolutely need to have the screen face side up, you're actually better off facing it screen side down (just my opinion).

As for the built/craftsmanship goes... it ain't the greatest (but then again... it was $4). I can see the rubber separating from the plastic if you take the case on and off often. I, for one... don't charge batteries at all, nor do I use a dock that can't be used with a case... (yes, you can possibly open the battery door/panel without taking this bumper off, but it would be even more effort). So, if you're the kind of person that have to take you Galaxy Nexus out often (for whatever reason), I would think that rubber would eventually just peel off/separate from the plastic.

Hope that helps.

I highly recommend this bumper if you want your GNex to still have that slim curved look. I actually like this better than the Ringke because the edges are protected. While the back side isn't, the battery door/panel can be replaced for $10. Where as replacing the main housing cost a lot more and takes a lot more effort to replace. The Ringke would be on the top of my list if only the side edges were protected.

Again, if you do plan on ordering one of these from eBay sellers (I think they all come from the same warehouse despite multiple sellers offering the same thing), just be prepare for a long wait.

Honestly, someone should offer these eBay sellers $2-$3 per bumper but buy 50-100 of them, bring them to North America, sell them at $10 shipped. I bet they would sell pretty fast, at least people wouldn't have to wait so long.
Awesome review! Just placed an order, 5 bucks? Why not for that price!

Via G-Nex (LTE)
 
neotekz
Old
#53  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 156
Posts: 1,330
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal509 View Post
Awesome review! Just placed an order, 5 bucks? Why not for that price!

Via G-Nex (LTE)
just make sure you get the right one, i ordered here and was sent the completely white one with the hole
 
T-Keith
Old
#54  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 53
Posts: 806
Join Date: Sep 2010
Can everyone clarify in their posts what phone you have and where you bought it. $5 is a great deal but I ordered from ebay and have a vzw nexus. Mine is too flimsy and the sides move and creak, worthless to me. Don't think it's a fit issue just a poor design.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
Moto X 32GB
Nexus 7 (2012)
HP printer with Zeen Tablet (2.2)
HP touchpads
 
al2x
Old
#55  
al2x's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 277
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Elmwood Park, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
Can everyone clarify in their posts what phone you have and where you bought it. $5 is a great deal but I ordered from ebay and have a vzw nexus. Mine is too flimsy and the sides move and creak, worthless to me. Don't think it's a fit issue just a poor design.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
I got the white bumper from "extraps" (see pics a few posts back) for the LTE nexus. Fits fine, although its still a poorly built $5 case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Stock ICS
Kernel: Stock
 
trainerKEN
Old
#56  
Member
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 76
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith View Post
Can everyone clarify in their posts what phone you have and where you bought it. $5 is a great deal but I ordered from ebay and have a vzw nexus. Mine is too flimsy and the sides move and creak, worthless to me. Don't think it's a fit issue just a poor design.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
The eBay item: 150784811629

I have i9250 with regular battery
 
daewond3r
Old
#57  
daewond3r's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 105
Posts: 667
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
I just received my black bumper from eBay seller extraps. Fits more snug than the white one I got from star-loyal and there is no giant hole in the corner. Other than that, they're identical. Overall I'm much happier with the black.

Google Nexus 5

Set sail from Hawai'i nei, docked in Cali-for-ni-a
 
Emama
Old
#58  
Emama's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 218
Posts: 1,740
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrage View Post
That would happen if you were removing the bumper constantly. The bottom section separated after a couple days of me un/installing the case. The eBay seller sent me a new one and I immediate noticed the same problem happening after installing it the first time.

Coincidentally, I bought another one from Focalprice.com and that hasn't had any problem yet. But I have left the bumper alone while it's on the phone.

How much did it cost you guys? I haven't spent more than 4 bucks for these.
Thanks, I ordered one from Focalprice.com for $3
 
trainerKEN
Old
#59  
Member
Thanks Meter 32
Posts: 76
Join Date: Jun 2009
...so it's only been about a week and I want to give a quick update, and probably something people interested should know.

As mentioned before someone else had the problem with the separation of the rubber from the plastic... I've had mine for about a week and NOT ONCE did I take the bumper off (because I don't swap batteries), yet the bottom part of the bumper's rubber edge started separating... My theory is... the plastic stops and there's no actual contact at the bottom (see photo below), therefore that part of the rubber is going to get a lot of tugging every time you put and pull the GNex out of your pant pocket. I don't even wear tight or "skinny" jeans, but I DO place the GNex in the pant pocket a lot (vs jacket pocket or whatever).

But a couple drops of crazy glue (from the inside) did the trick

The Following User Says Thank You to trainerKEN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
catpunt
Old
#60  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 486
Join Date: Apr 2006
i've had mine for a while now and took it off to find that the hard polyurethane plastic back has been scratching the finish of the phone casing where it has been contacting. there is no protective layer between the hard plastic and the phone, so be prepared for this case to mess up the finish on the back with use

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes