Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

TPU Bumper

OP textus

28th April 2012, 03:35 AM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 32

79 posts
...so, mine finally arrived today (ordered it on April 2nd). My opinion/review at the bottom

...so, I have to say, for $4 shipped... I'm very happy with the money spent. Yes, the wait was ridiculously long... and I would've gladly paid $8 with express shipping, but express shipping wasn't an option.

As mention before, I'm pretty sure it's NOT TPU, but more or less just plastic (+rubber). It IS, however.... a very snug fit. As you can see, there is a raised/rise between the plastic (in my case, the white part), and the battery door/rear panel. But I have to add, if you laid it down, the camera/lens part that bulges out WILL touch whatever surface. Unless you absolutely need to have the screen face side up, you're actually better off facing it screen side down (just my opinion).

As for the built/craftsmanship goes... it ain't the greatest (but then again... it was $4). I can see the rubber separating from the plastic if you take the case on and off often. I, for one... don't charge batteries at all, nor do I use a dock that can't be used with a case... (yes, you can possibly open the battery door/panel without taking this bumper off, but it would be even more effort). So, if you're the kind of person that have to take you Galaxy Nexus out often (for whatever reason), I would think that rubber would eventually just peel off/separate from the plastic.

Hope that helps.

I highly recommend this bumper if you want your GNex to still have that slim curved look. I actually like this better than the Ringke because the edges are protected. While the back side isn't, the battery door/panel can be replaced for $10. Where as replacing the main housing cost a lot more and takes a lot more effort to replace. The Ringke would be on the top of my list if only the side edges were protected.

Again, if you do plan on ordering one of these from eBay sellers (I think they all come from the same warehouse despite multiple sellers offering the same thing), just be prepare for a long wait.

Honestly, someone should offer these eBay sellers $2-$3 per bumper but buy 50-100 of them, bring them to North America, sell them at $10 shipped. I bet they would sell pretty fast, at least people wouldn't have to wait so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to trainerKEN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2012, 10:27 AM   |  #52  
Flag Wenatchee
Thanks Meter: 76

410 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerKEN

...so, mine finally arrived today (ordered it on April 2nd). My opinion/review at the bottom

...so, I have to say, for $4 shipped... I'm very happy with the money spent. Yes, the wait was ridiculously long... and I would've gladly paid $8 with express shipping, but express shipping wasn't an option.

As mention before, I'm pretty sure it's NOT TPU, but more or less just plastic (+rubber). It IS, however.... a very snug fit. As you can see, there is a raised/rise between the plastic (in my case, the white part), and the battery door/rear panel. But I have to add, if you laid it down, the camera/lens part that bulges out WILL touch whatever surface. Unless you absolutely need to have the screen face side up, you're actually better off facing it screen side down (just my opinion).

As for the built/craftsmanship goes... it ain't the greatest (but then again... it was $4). I can see the rubber separating from the plastic if you take the case on and off often. I, for one... don't charge batteries at all, nor do I use a dock that can't be used with a case... (yes, you can possibly open the battery door/panel without taking this bumper off, but it would be even more effort). So, if you're the kind of person that have to take you Galaxy Nexus out often (for whatever reason), I would think that rubber would eventually just peel off/separate from the plastic.

Hope that helps.

I highly recommend this bumper if you want your GNex to still have that slim curved look. I actually like this better than the Ringke because the edges are protected. While the back side isn't, the battery door/panel can be replaced for $10. Where as replacing the main housing cost a lot more and takes a lot more effort to replace. The Ringke would be on the top of my list if only the side edges were protected.

Again, if you do plan on ordering one of these from eBay sellers (I think they all come from the same warehouse despite multiple sellers offering the same thing), just be prepare for a long wait.

Honestly, someone should offer these eBay sellers $2-$3 per bumper but buy 50-100 of them, bring them to North America, sell them at $10 shipped. I bet they would sell pretty fast, at least people wouldn't have to wait so long.

Awesome review! Just placed an order, 5 bucks? Why not for that price!

Via G-Nex (LTE)
28th April 2012, 12:06 PM   |  #53  
Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 156

1,330 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal509

Awesome review! Just placed an order, 5 bucks? Why not for that price!

Via G-Nex (LTE)

just make sure you get the right one, i ordered here and was sent the completely white one with the hole
28th April 2012, 04:24 PM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 65

880 posts
More
Can everyone clarify in their posts what phone you have and where you bought it. $5 is a great deal but I ordered from ebay and have a vzw nexus. Mine is too flimsy and the sides move and creak, worthless to me. Don't think it's a fit issue just a poor design.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium
28th April 2012, 04:35 PM   |  #55  
Flag Elmwood Park, NJ
Thanks Meter: 22

278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith

Can everyone clarify in their posts what phone you have and where you bought it. $5 is a great deal but I ordered from ebay and have a vzw nexus. Mine is too flimsy and the sides move and creak, worthless to me. Don't think it's a fit issue just a poor design.

I got the white bumper from "extraps" (see pics a few posts back) for the LTE nexus. Fits fine, although its still a poorly built $5 case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
29th April 2012, 03:02 AM   |  #56  

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Keith

The eBay item: 150784811629

I have i9250 with regular battery
2nd May 2012, 04:42 AM   |  #57  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 125

693 posts
More
I just received my black bumper from eBay seller extraps. Fits more snug than the white one I got from star-loyal and there is no giant hole in the corner. Other than that, they're identical. Overall I'm much happier with the black.
2nd May 2012, 05:36 AM   |  #58  
Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 245

1,780 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrage

That would happen if you were removing the bumper constantly. The bottom section separated after a couple days of me un/installing the case. The eBay seller sent me a new one and I immediate noticed the same problem happening after installing it the first time.

Coincidentally, I bought another one from Focalprice.com and that hasn't had any problem yet. But I have left the bumper alone while it's on the phone.

How much did it cost you guys? I haven't spent more than 4 bucks for these.

Thanks, I ordered one from Focalprice.com for $3
5th May 2012, 11:00 PM   |  #59  

79 posts
...so it's only been about a week and I want to give a quick update, and probably something people interested should know.

As mentioned before someone else had the problem with the separation of the rubber from the plastic... I've had mine for about a week and NOT ONCE did I take the bumper off (because I don't swap batteries), yet the bottom part of the bumper's rubber edge started separating... My theory is... the plastic stops and there's no actual contact at the bottom (see photo below), therefore that part of the rubber is going to get a lot of tugging every time you put and pull the GNex out of your pant pocket. I don't even wear tight or "skinny" jeans, but I DO place the GNex in the pant pocket a lot (vs jacket pocket or whatever).

But a couple drops of crazy glue (from the inside) did the trick

The Following User Says Thank You to trainerKEN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 12:30 AM   |  #60  
Thanks Meter: 37

487 posts
i've had mine for a while now and took it off to find that the hard polyurethane plastic back has been scratching the finish of the phone casing where it has been contacting. there is no protective layer between the hard plastic and the phone, so be prepared for this case to mess up the finish on the back with use

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread