Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Waterproof case with external headphone jack?

Tip us?

swedub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Waterproof case with external headphone jack?

I ordered the Overboard Smartphone Waterproof Case with headphone jack but quickly cancelled once I finally found the interior dimensions. The Galaxy Nexus is too big for that case. I'm having a hard time finding an alternative waterproof case. Anyone else have better luck?

neotekz
Old
Thanks Meter 156
not sure about waterproof cases but i use a waterproof bluetooth head set, Jaybird Freedoms. They work pretty good, ive had them in the shower to test a few times. Sound quality is decent for a bluetooth device and mic kinda sucks.

BeerChameleon
Old
Thanks Meter 1,206

DONATE TO ME
what about this one?

http://www.shopandroid.com/overboard...226.htm?d=1464

swedub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrules7778 View Post
No headphone jack on that Overboard case. I don't want to swim with it, I mainly just want to protect my phone while working outside, near my pool, listening to audio. I'm leaning towards the "Dry Case" Waterproof Smartphone Case but I'm not sure yet if the corner area where the plastic is welded around the external headphone jack will make the bottom too thin to fit the Galaxy Nexus. Their dimensions on the website claim 4.25" x 7.5" but I think that is overall size. But it also seems too big to fit in my pocket.

http://www.drycase.com/Content/how-t...ase-works.html

swedub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I bit the bullet and bought the Dry Case after finding this video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-aJSb-VHU

Even though the Amazon listing shows the vacuum valve and headphone jack on opposite sides. Hopefully the one in the video with the valve and jack on the same side is the current model. I'll post an update/review tomorrow once it arrives.

BeerChameleon
Old
Thanks Meter 1,206

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedub View Post
No headphone jack on that Overboard case. I don't want to swim with it, I mainly just want to protect my phone while working outside, near my pool, listening to audio. I'm leaning towards the "Dry Case" Waterproof Smartphone Case but I'm not sure yet if the corner area where the plastic is welded around the external headphone jack will make the bottom too thin to fit the Galaxy Nexus. Their dimensions on the website claim 4.25" x 7.5" but I think that is overall size. But it also seems too big to fit in my pocket.

http://www.drycase.com/Content/how-t...ase-works.html
oh ok, well glad u found one

swedub
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I got it (Dry Case for Smartphones). It's just like the one in the video with the air valve and headphone jack on the same side. The listing on Amazon from where I bought it showed the air valve and headphone jack on either side. It's a tight fit though. It can't slide into the bottom portion. If it is in the bottom end either the power button or volume button gets pressed in. I've found sliding it as close to the top opening with the headphone jack plugged in and tucking the wire behind the air valve there is enough room to press the power plug and toggle the volume button. It comes with a hand pump but you can easily suck the air out with you mouth. It's a one way valve so you won't end up adding moisture inside it. So you can easily open an reseal it when out and about without carrying the pump around. I'm not sure if I would take it under water though. I saw some droplets of water under the lip of the seal portion when I opened it after being in the rain. I didn't buy it for swimming though so I'm not too concerned about it. It also came with a arm band/strap. I just keep it in my pocket though. I used it for a 17 mile bike ride yesterday in intermittent rain showers trying to watch the rainy Lauderdale Air Show.

kouangooo
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I was also about to buy this Drycase, but after reading swimmers reviews on Amazon, I backed off.. it seems like a good product for stationary use, but most people that used this for swimming are reporting leaking issues...

Has anyone purchased a similar product ?