[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE [GSM]

OP mskip

7th May 2012, 12:25 AM   |  #1491  
Flag Regina
Thanks Meter: 7

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip

If you are using a Custom Rom then you will have an insecure boot image so you can answer yes and it will do everything it needs to. If you are using CM9 then it doesnt have an insecure boot image set as standard so you will need to answer no to the question and the ToolKit will just reboot your phone into fastboot and then use the ToolKits insecure boot image to boot your phone and perform the mods. After rebooting your phone will revert to your original boot image.

If you are unsure about any of this just answer 'no' and let the ToolKit do everything but make sure you have the correct model selected in the Model Selection Screen.

Mark.

Thanks for the quick response.
So if I am reading correctly, after applying the new camera settings/new CWM/Wifi refresh, I will lose my ROM/Kernal? As it boots to original boot img/

So - then all I have to do is reflash my ROM/Kernal, and I am back to my original state - correct?

thanks again
S
7th May 2012, 12:40 AM   |  #1492  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 13,737

11,162 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shftup

Thanks for the quick response.
So if I am reading correctly, after applying the new camera settings/new CWM/Wifi refresh, I will lose my ROM/Kernal? As it boots to original boot img/

So - then all I have to do is reflash my ROM/Kernal, and I am back to my original state - correct?

thanks again
S

You dont have to reflash anything. The ToolKit will boot the insecure image. This means it doesnt write anything to your phone and its only on there until your next reboot where it will go back to the boot image you used before. Nothing is changed and nothing is permanent.

Mark.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2012, 01:14 AM   |  #1493  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 307

1,023 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

1. You can flash CWM without unlocking?

2. You can use CWM to backup without unlocking?

I didn't realize either of these were possible?

... Sorry. I fail.

I'm so used to having an unlocked bootloader now I forget how restrictive it is with it locked.
7th May 2012, 06:25 AM   |  #1494  
Flag chennai
Thanks Meter: 13

118 posts
More
Thanks its helped me a lot ... now my device is unlocked, rooted and patched a new Aokp theme.. very easy and useful software for the beginners
Last edited by vndkmr97; 18th May 2012 at 09:24 AM.
7th May 2012, 06:57 PM   |  #1495  
Flag Regina
Thanks Meter: 7

169 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip

You dont have to reflash anything. The ToolKit will boot the insecure image. This means it doesnt write anything to your phone and its only on there until your next reboot where it will go back to the boot image you used before. Nothing is changed and nothing is permanent.

Mark.

Thank you Mark.
9th May 2012, 05:15 AM   |  #1496  
Thanks Meter: 31

111 posts
Does anybody has takju stock recovery?
When I use this to flash stock recovery it said succesfull, however when i boot into recovery I get error
9th May 2012, 10:23 AM   |  #1497  
Flag Norfolk

11,162 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodred

Does anybody has takju stock recovery?
When I use this to flash stock recovery it said succesfull, however when i boot into recovery I get error

Did you flash stock recovery via option 10 in the ToolKit? What error do you get? I assumed yakju and takju recovery was the same so used the yakju image to save space but if yakju recovery doesnt work on the takju model then I will add the takju image in the next update.

Stock Recovery image for takju attached, just copy to 'put_img_files_to_flash_here' folder in the ToolKit and flash via option 12 (select 2 to Flash and then 5 to Flash to the Recovery partition).

Mark.
Attached Files
File Type: img recovery-takju.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.37 MB, 4 views)
Last edited by mskip; 9th May 2012 at 10:26 AM.
9th May 2012, 10:29 PM   |  #1498  
Thanks Meter: 1

92 posts
More
Used toolkit v6.1 yesterday to update my phone to 4.04 factory image - long overdue!

I used a different laptop than last time so had to start fresh with the toolkit and drivers. Had to install drivers with pdanet but everything else pretty much worked a treat, it's a great program Mark, thanks again for it.

I have a question regarding the back up and restoring the back up.

I selected the non virtual SD card back up and when I restored it I checked the gallery app. The photos were there 'in spirit' but not actually there. There was 60 odd empty black frames. Is this normal for this option?

If I use the virtual SD card option next time will it restore photos fully along with music etc?

EDIT: PS - is there any advantage to leaving my bootloader unlocked or should I lock it again?

Sorry for the noob questions!!
9th May 2012, 11:40 PM   |  #1499  
Flag Norfolk

11,162 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Bucker

Used toolkit v6.1 yesterday to update my phone to 4.04 factory image - long overdue!

I used a different laptop than last time so had to start fresh with the toolkit and drivers. Had to install drivers with pdanet but everything else pretty much worked a treat, it's a great program Mark, thanks again for it.

I have a question regarding the back up and restoring the back up.

I selected the non virtual SD card back up and when I restored it I checked the gallery app. The photos were there 'in spirit' but not actually there. There was 60 odd empty black frames. Is this normal for this option?

If I use the virtual SD card option next time will it restore photos fully along with music etc?

EDIT: PS - is there any advantage to leaving my bootloader unlocked or should I lock it again?

Sorry for the noob questions!!

The advantage of leaving your bootloader unlocked is that if you get stuck in a boot loop or want to flash a different radio or recovery then you can do it without any negative consequences. If you relock the bootloader and then need to flash anything you would have to unlock it again which will wipe your device. Someone I helped a while back had a locked bootloader and was stuck in a boot loop. The only way to fix the phone was to unlock the bootloader to flash a working boot image which meant they lost all their pictures including pictures of their new born baby. Much better to leave it unlocked until such time as you need to relock it for warranty purposes.

The adb backup with the storage included will back up everything to a single file which can't be viewed or modified and I have always said that it does not work well in restoring pictures and music which is why I created the virtual sd card backup method. This method will pull all your data via adb to a folder in the ToolKit which can be viewed/modified/certain parts deleted before restoring. You know exactly what is in the backup and its the option I always use to backup data on the virtual sd card.

Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2012, 12:45 AM   |  #1500  
Thanks Meter: 1

92 posts
More
Thanks for the info on the bootloader, will just leave it unlocked.

I think I missed the bit about the single file not restoring media files perfectly! At least I know for sure now and I had another back up of the pics anyway.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread